Optimal Cue Lenght

Pangit

Banned
It's not 58-60 inches for everyone, Ergonomically speaking. One size doesn't fit all. Is there a "custom" cue maker that has applied science to cue making and offer's cue's at a variety of lengths, that are truly made to fit? Without breaking the bank. Like a quality taylor made suit, everything is measured to the Gnat's ass.

You got a guy that's six foot nine with long arms...a 58 inch cue doesn't make sense.

A "custom cue" is not getting to pick the wood, inlays colors...etc.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Every custom cue maker I have worked with has made cues of different lengths, weights, and even balance points and butt and handle diameter.

I guess you should find a real custom cue maker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Last edited:

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
How to identify a Pangit thread............................................................

Is there a point to this post?

Kind of, but NO.

Is there an intelligent question posed?

NO.

Is it short, but still feels to be rambling on about something but nothing at the same time?

YES.

Does it come off like the OP thinks he/she knows what he's talking about, but doesn't really seem to know anything?

YES.

Does it feel like you're on Twitter, but you don't have/want/like/care about Twitter???

YES.

CONCLUSION............................................................................

Yes, This is, in fact, a Pangit thread.

DON'T PANIC.

Click the backward arrow button in the top left of your screen. Browse the main page for what appears to be a thread with substance. All is good again...

I know I can't help but click on these to see him random thought of the day, that is not only not informative, but also pointless!!!!!

Lesson concluded.

best,

Justin

weakfingers

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure you can find a cuemaker who will make custom sizes... talk to them. That usually helps.

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont usually post in a Pangit thread, but..

Dan Goble of Yak Cues in Oklahoma City used to have a website where he talked about creating optimally-lengthed cues based on a persons "True Hit Distance (THD)." He described this as the distance between the grip hand and the bridge hand when the back arm is at 90 degrees. He then factored in the person's average bridge length and wanted the back hand in the center of the grip area.

It doesnt look like the website is up anymore and I dont believe he is still in the cuemaking business, but I always thought it was kind of interesting. Mike Gulyassy is the only other cuemaker I've heard of that did extensive testing on optimal length (ala Earl). Gulyassy usually acheives this with extensions for the butt end instead of building really long cues. I think this is the best idea, as you can avoid needing an extra long custom case as well. IMO shafts longer than 29" play weird.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How to identify a Pangit thread...

What I find so bothersome is how he really seems to believe he has something intelligent to say, but his writing is so full of errors.

One would actually have to have a profound thought, to be taken seriously with all those errors in something as basic as written English.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
How to identify a Pangit thread............................................................

Is there a point to this post?

Kind of, but NO.

Is there an intelligent question posed?

NO.

Is it short, but still feels to be rambling on about something but nothing at the same time?

YES.

Does it come off like the OP thinks he/she knows what he's talking about, but doesn't really seem to know anything?

YES.

Does it feel like you're on Twitter, but you don't have/want/like/care about Twitter???

YES.

CONCLUSION............................................................................

Yes, This is, in fact, a Pangit thread.

DON'T PANIC.

Click the backward arrow button in the top left of your screen. Browse the main page for what appears to be a thread with substance. All is good again...

I know I can't help but click on these to see him random thought of the day, that is not only not informative, but also pointless!!!!!

Lesson concluded.

best,

Justin

:bow-down::rotflmao1::yeah::shrug::thud:SOOO TRUE!:thud::shrug::yeah::rotflmao1::bow-down:

Chrippa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, queperfect.biz have it. They are perfectly balanced also. Have sold and have and played several....
Measure - put the cue and the object ball on the spots, take your ordinary stance, length from cueball - what feels good and then add 3 inches from the back of your shooting hand.

Regards

Chrippa

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member

Blind hatred of the OP, even if he's making a fairly routine post that wouldn't bother anyone if it were posted under a different user name?

Check!

----

Seriously, pangit can occasionally go on rambly tangent, don't get him started on politics in the PI, but what's wrong with this post?

He's pointing out that cue length is an often-overlooked consideration when people shop for or order cues from a custom cue maker, and that cue makers ought to offer some scientific way to help the customer choose the ideal length to suit their body.

That's a perfectly valid point. I don't know how one can decide this length if they e.g. ordered online, because it probably depends on bridge length too. I think the player would have to show up in person and try a variety of lengths until he finds one that feels perfect, then commission his cue at this length.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
It's not 58-60 inches for everyone, Ergonomically speaking. One size doesn't fit all. Is there a "custom" cue maker that has applied science to cue making and offer's cue's at a variety of lengths, that are truly made to fit?

:yes: Look up Eddie Wheat. You two are perfect for each other, imo, ymmv.

Dave :rotflmao1:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know a custom cue maker who says the "optimum" length for a cue is where the cue tip touches the bottom lip of the player as measured from the cue resting on the floor.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Interesting, but what about someone like me with long arms and fat lips?

:grin-square:

I know a custom cue maker who says the "optimum" length for a cue is where the cue tip touches the bottom lip of the player as measured from the cue resting on the floor.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Floor to lip?

Interesting. For me at 5'9", I would need a 60" cue. Were I 6'7" I would need a 70" cue, no?

Personally, I find it rather easy to move to a shorter cue than a longer one.
Remembering that 57" was standard till the '70s, I wonder what cue makers say about standard going to 58".

I have an old (really old!) Saunier/Wilhelm butt with a very old Brunswick shaft that measures 55 inches assembled. With a Triangle tip, it plays quite nicely!!

Donny L
PBIA/ACS Instructor

devorator

Ipoolmyheart@thetable
Silver Member
It's an easy way to figure out what fits your stroke. Measure the distance between your grip and your bridge and add 5 inches on both sides.
Chris

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wouldn't the correct length of a pool cue for a given player be that player's bridge length, plus the length between their bridge hand and back hand plus whatever amount you want extending behind the back hand? For that vast majority of players, a 58" or 59" cue will be adequate. For someone with longer arms, it could be longer. While I believe having the back forearm at a 90 degree angle to the cue when at address to the CB, obviously, not everyone does this, which would clearly affect the appropriate cue length for a specific player.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Grip to bridge + 10"?

It's an easy way to figure out what fits your stroke. Measure the distance between your grip and your bridge and add 5 inches on both sides.
Chris

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Measuring the distance BETWEEN the grip and bridge hands and adding 10" would dictate that I use a 46" cue (I'm 5'"9" and 90 degrees at address).
Measuring from the FRONT of the bridge hand to the BACK of the grip hand, it would still tell me to use a cue of no more than 53-54 inches in length.

Am I missing something?

Donny L
PBIA/ACS Instructor

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is there no one over 5'2" in his village?:grin:

But to answer the original question, I think the best length is where you can handle nearly all shots without an extension. The best extension systems I've seen are for snooker cues -- actually built for the cue stick, not some pitiful slip-on contraption.

ChopStick

Unsane Poster
Silver Member
The way I identify a Pangit thread is it has Pangit's name on it.

Now that we have that nonsense out of the way, he poses a question that should be of great concern to cue makers. It has spawned a multi-million dollar sub-industry in golf which is called club fitting and yes, it does make a big difference. Playing with a properly fitted set of clubs will make you more consistent immediately.

I see no reason this principle cannot be applied to pool. Many years ago, when I was a trumpet player, I was shopping for a new horn and I came across a kit for a horn called an Olds Custom. The kit was a couple of cases. Inside were a few valve bodies of various sizes, different bells, lead pipes, etc. They fit together with screw clamps. You could mix and match different components and assemble a horn you liked. They would then take down the numbers off the components and send them to the factory and a few weeks later, you got the horn you built.

A cue fitter could meet you at the pool room with a couple of suit cases of components and fit you. Length, balance, weight distribution, shaft taper, butt taper, grip style, on and on. You could get all of that settled and have a printout of your custom specifications to hand to the cue maker of your choice. It would be a lot cheaper than dropping a thousand on a cue, playing with it for a few weeks and finding out something about it bothers you and wind up selling it for a loss. It doesn't matter how well a cue is made, if it doesn't fit you, it is not worth it. If I were a cue maker, I absolutely would be doing it. The one size fits most approach has gone on long enough.

Last edited:

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
The way I identify a Pangit thread is it has Pangit's name on it.

Now that we have that nonsense out of the way, he poses a question that should be of great concern to cue makers. It has spawned a multi-million dollar sub-industry in golf which is called club fitting and yes, it does make a big difference. Playing with a properly fitted set of clubs will make you more consistent immediately.

I see no reason this principle cannot be applied to pool. Many years ago, when I was a trumpet player, I was shopping for a new horn and I came across a kit for a horn called an Olds Custom. The kit was a couple of cases. Inside were a few valve bodies of various sizes, different bells, lead pipes, etc. They fit together with screw clamps. You could mix and match different components and assemble a horn you liked. They would then take down the numbers off the components and send them to the factory and a few weeks later, you got the horn you built.

A cue fitter could meet you at the pool room with a couple of suit cases of components and fit you. Length, balance, weight distribution, shaft taper, butt taper, grip style, on and on. You could get all of that settled and have a printout of your custom specifications to hand to the cue maker of your choice. It would be a lot cheaper than dropping a thousand on a cue, playing with it for a few weeks and finding out something about it bothers you and wind up selling it for a loss. It doesn't matter how well a cue is made, if it doesn't fit you, it is not worth it. If I were a cue maker, I absolutely would be doing it. The one size fits most approach has gone on long enough.

TAP TAP TAP!

Ken