athena cues ferrules

gambler67

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
anyone else have problems getting any fiber pads or tips to stick on Athena cues ferrules? any solutions?

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yep, I had an Athena come into the shop once. Tip popped off twice, so on the last reinstall, I replaced the ferrule with a known material and the tip never came off again.
Super glue or not, there are some materials out there that cyanoacrylate will not adhere to.
My 2 cents,
Gary

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Another way to deal with it, is to remove MOST of the original tip, but leave a thin layer, soak it with thin CA, then reface after it dries to remove any uneven surface, then glue the new tip on....obviously the glue they used works, so keep it in place and 'build' on it
Dave

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Another way to deal with it, is to remove MOST of the original tip, but leave a thin layer, soak it with thin CA, then reface after it dries to remove any uneven surface, then glue the new tip on....obviously the glue they used works, so keep it in place and 'build' on it
Dave
Yes, I agree this is a good approach IF you know ahead of time the ferrule material is unlikely to stick.
Or are you advocating this is a good standard method for every tip replacement?
Gary

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Yes, I agree this is a good approach IF you know ahead of time the ferrule material is unlikely to stick.
Or are you advocating this is a good standard method for every tip replacement?
Gary

I usually ask what is the make of the cue when I take in a shaft for a tip. There are certain ones that have this issue, and on those, I follow the above method. This way. I don't have to wait for the customer to come back without a tip.
Dave