titlist conversion cues question

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
is there anything special how they play ?
or is it just the rarity /limited number of titlist cues that make them special?
this was asked in the main forum and i thought i would ask it here

Last edited:

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
is there anything special how they play ?
or is it just the rarity /limited number of titlist cues that make them special?
this was asked in the main forum and i thought i would ask it here

One of the things that I find attractive is the variety of woods used. You never know what you're going to find because Brunswick used lots of inexpensive, plentiful, woods; which of course are no longer plentiful or cheap. It does introduce you to many different Maple /exotic woods combinations. I'm fond of Bubinga and Satine titlist.

Mario

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
The big feature is the age of the wood. The maple Brunswick used was old growth in the 1940s with a great honey color tone.

The cost of the blank is not terrible at $200-$300 for most basic models, Less if you're lucky, more for premium woods.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The big feature is the age of the wood. The maple Brunswick used was old growth in the 1940s with a great honey color tone.

The cost of the blank is not terrible at $200-$300 for most basic models, Less if you're lucky, more for premium woods.

I agree. And they are stable. Some came apart...old glue versus modern adhesives.

I'll add to that the simple nostalgia. A "resto-rod" Titlist built by a great maker with a serious shaft is a wondrous thing.

Even an old Unknown conversion can carry a mystique that itself generates a solid value.

Like an old muscle car updated to run with the modern stuff...

Just gotta love a well done Titlist conversion.

Jon Manning

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My main player is a Black Titlist, I fell in love with the way it plays! Is it because it's made from a Titlist blank? No, not in my opinion. It's because the butt was done by a top notch builder, the shaft and taper is (in my opinion) the best available. Kind of funny, but when I had the cue built I was given the option of having one of the shafts made from Timeless Timber Sunken Maple (pretty sure that the correct name) I declined and got two of his regular shafts. Both of those shafts are great, but in the back of my head I thought "wonder is the sunken Maple would play even better?". I ended up having another shaft built not to long ago.
I asked, why is everyone so big on Titlist conversions before I had mine built. And, really its more about the history and the quality at the time. Building a full splice is not the easiest thing to do, obviously it can be done well, but it is very labor intensive. Hell, even now most cuemakers don't want to mess with building a FS. At the time the Blanks were very plentiful and reasonably good quality, that's why everyone used them!

Personally, I like old school looks and it doesn't get any better than Titlist veneers, straight grain maple and nice butt wood!
Not to mention, he doesn't build many Titlist. Who would pass up having having one built?
Do they play better than any other FS? No.
Is there something special about them? No.
Do they hold a special place in cue history? Absolutely!
I have a few in my collection, some are great playing and some I don't like at all. It's really about personal preference.

IMG_5034.jpg

IMG_5035.jpg

IMG_5036.jpg

Last edited: