South Bend Heavy 10

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Has anyone here used one of these? Thoughts?

Generous spindle bore and plenty of room between centers

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 511
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    195 KB · Views: 452

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
They don't call em heavy for nothing!
Looks like this one may be put up on some risers. Not a bad thing but not needed for cue work.
If it's not wore out, the price is right and you have the space for it you can do just about anything you'd like with it. (lathe work related of course)

Key is ....refer to blue words...

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
They don't call em heavy for nothing!
Looks like this one may be put up on some risers. Not a bad thing but not needed for cue work.
If it's not wore out, the price is right and you have the space for it you can do just about anything you'd like with it. (lathe work related of course)

Key is ....refer to blue words...

It's not worn at all, this was in a lab and it has less than 30 hours on it. They made single parts for testing. It looks grubby because it was in a manufacturing facility, but the ways are perfect with no saddle wear, spindle is perfect, all the gearing is smooth.

The risers were machined as a custom touch, they can be removed to return it to stock. I'll try it out both ways eventually.

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
It's not worn at all, this was in a lab and it has less than 30 hours on it. They made single parts for testing. It looks grubby because it was in a manufacturing facility, but the ways are perfect with no saddle wear, spindle is perfect, all the gearing is smooth.

The risers were machined as a custom touch, they can be removed to return it to stock. I'll try it out both ways eventually.

I would have never guessed.

Is that in it's life time or the last week it is was used in the lab? :eek:

Sounds like you already put $ down her. Enjoy the ride.

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
I have one and love it. First thing I would do is get rid of the risers.

Larry

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member

Your machine has more than 30 hrs on it. The amount of chipped paint above the tailstock locking nut says so.
It took more than 30 hrs to do that. More like 30 yrs. Not knocking your machine, I have one though yours is a newer model.
The ways on that machine may not be 'hard' so be mindful of that. I can see only one use for the risers, a really big ring-cutter.
You might check your flat dr-blt to see if it's spliced twice to accommodate the new height. I have mixed thoughts on flat belts.
How was the gear drive to the transmission stretched ? You'll see more clues to it's 'use' age once you have that cover off.
I'm certainly not sorry that I bought mine, I use it everyday. It's an investment. The '10' holds it's value real well.
Good Luck and be careful out there.

KJ

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm with the other guys in here, that has way more than 30 hours. If they told you 30 hours, you should walk away.

It looks to have been repainted at some point.

What was the price?

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Your machine has more than 30 hrs on it. The amount of chipped paint above the tailstock locking nut says so.
It took more than 30 hrs to do that. More like 30 yrs. Not knocking your machine, I have one though yours is a newer model.
The ways on that machine may not be 'hard' so be mindful of that. I can see only one use for the risers, a really big ring-cutter.
You might check your flat dr-blt to see if it's spliced twice to accommodate the new height. I have mixed thoughts on flat belts.
How was the gear drive to the transmission stretched ? You'll see more clues to it's 'use' age once you have that cover off.
I'm certainly not sorry that I bought mine, I use it everyday. It's an investment. The '10' holds it's value real well.
Good Luck and be careful out there.

KJ

This was pulled out of Kodak's research lab, the lab manager said they got it in the 1960's because Kodak ordered dozens of the same model from South Bend to place in the machine shops and other assorted facilities for Kodak Park (their global manufacturing HQ). His claim was that it was grubby and scuffed up from being in a facility with greasemonkeys, but this particular unit cut a single part once or twice a month until they retired it in the early 2000's. It was given to him when he retired as his "gold watch" and it sat at his home unused until he sold it recently.

The belt has a single splice, and I'll tear into it more to clean it up, but I fired it up and it is so quiet that I was startled by it. Cuts brass rod like butter, and it's pretty darn accurate at the chuck. I'll take the headstock shroud off and check inside the spindle, but I was impressed at first glance.

I had a 12" Atlas that he gave me a pretty substantial trade value on toward this, an offer I couldn't refuse.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
It would appear that you've done rather well.
The larger bore spindle in the SB is a huge upgrade from the Atlas.
Great trade; both buyer and seller are happy with their new toys.
That's as it should be.

KJ

Paul Dayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never used one of these but if everything lines up and is solid. I'd leave the risers in. It is a lot easier not having to bend over as much.

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
Any particular reason? There's a cool story with those that I'll write up in the near future when I get it set up

Guess it would depend on what chuck you use. I have a 6 jaw set true chuck on mine. At high speed the lathe has a bit of a wobble. With the much lighter SB 3 jaw chuck it may be just fine with the risers.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm 6'3" and on my lathe at home, I built a 2x6 wood platform to sit the lathe on. I found it much more comfortable to use. I didn't know the OP's height, but if you are tall, I'd vote for leaving them in! Of course, I also have my GC4 on 5" riser blocks. ha ha. YMMV:)

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This was pulled out of Kodak's research lab, the lab manager said they got it in the 1960's because Kodak ordered dozens of the same model from South Bend to place in the machine shops and other assorted facilities for Kodak Park (their global manufacturing HQ). His claim was that it was grubby and scuffed up from being in a facility with greasemonkeys, but this particular unit cut a single part once or twice a month until they retired it in the early 2000's. It was given to him when he retired as his "gold watch" and it sat at his home unused until he sold it recently.

The belt has a single splice, and I'll tear into it more to clean it up, but I fired it up and it is so quiet that I was startled by it. Cuts brass rod like butter, and it's pretty darn accurate at the chuck. I'll take the headstock shroud off and check inside the spindle, but I was impressed at first glance.

I had a 12" Atlas that he gave me a pretty substantial trade value on toward this, an offer I couldn't refuse.

A.

great lathe for cuewhacking - and such a deal

1 or 2 parts a month... let's call it 20 per year
for 40 years...

In 30 hours?...

Dale(who is arithmeticly obsessed)

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone here used one of these? Thoughts?

Generous spindle bore and plenty of room between centers

Great lathes actually. I've had the opportunity to use several Heavy 9's and 10's. As long as the bearings are good and the ways are in good shape, they're great. I've looked and looked for one locally as to not have to ship an 850ish pound hunk of steel cross country. No luck so far.