Unlike Golfers, Pool Players do not need Instruction

mfinkelstein3

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pool Players and Instruction

And we wonder on here what to do to win the Mosconi Cup.

“I don’t need an instructor/coach; HAMB; gamble; watch every video ever made; buy another new stick, case, tip; throw balls on the table and run them out; instructors can’t play, etc., etc.”

Every professional sport has physical trainers, strength coaches, mental coaches, skill coaches, practice regimens, video tape analysis, nutritionists, and a head coach. Golfers have physical trainers, sports psychologists, swing coaches, nutritionists, and a caddy.

Playing pool on a professional level requires all these skills and more.

It is time for a change in our attitude to embrace coaches and instructors. Snooker sure has. Europe and Asia does. Embarrassing!

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
And we wonder on here what to do to win the Mosconi Cup.

“I don’t need an instructor/coach; HAMB; gamble; watch every video ever made; buy another new stick, case, tip; throw balls on the table and run them out; instructors can’t play, etc., etc.”

Every professional sport has physical trainers, strength coaches, mental coaches, skill coaches, practice regimens, video tape analysis, nutritionists, and a head coach. Golfers have physical trainers, sports psychologists, swing coaches, nutritionists, and a caddy.

Playing pool on a professional level requires all these skills and more.

It is time for a change in our attitude to embrace coaches and instructors. Snooker sure has. Europe and Asia does. Embarrassing!

I agree with you. The professional guys are one thing, but I'm talking about people (like me) that play pool hoping to succeed. I do take lessons regularly and am amazed what my professional knows about the game. I think others would too if they just thought about it.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All I wrote was that the world's very best at all sports still take lessons... except pool players.

Right. And you asked if it was money or mentality. I answered your question. It's money, without a doubt. Don't think for a minute that the worlds best pool players wouldn't love to have a full time coach with them everywhere they went. Of course they would. This isn't about mentality. It's about money.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Low500...If you even had half a clue, you would know how to distinguish "expert/professional" instructors, like Mark Finkelstein, and many others I could mention (most of the best instructors in the USA post here(. Some used to, but were driven off by the trolls (look in the mirror at this point). Professional, quality instruction, that utilizes video analysis, is a solid path to a better pool game...whether you're just starting out, or you've been playing for 50 years. Anyone can improve, if you approach it the correct way. BTW...nothing is free in this world. Watch all the youtube videos you want...but it still doesn't replace the value of one on one instruction.

Here's the sad state of affairs here in the USA...I hear this every day from poolplayers of all abilities: "Pool lessons? I don't need pool lessons...I KNOW how to play pool. What I really need is a new (insert brand name here) cue! If I only had that cue, everything would be different!" That same player will plunk down $500-$2000+ for that cue...but wouldn't even consider spending a few hundred to actually learn how to play with it!

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

You make a LOT of solid points. Well worth thinking about. Here in the states, from what I see though, it's wise to stick to the axiom of "BUYER BEWARE".
:thumbup:

Last edited:

mfinkelstein3

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Professional Pool player skills

Physical fitness
flexibility
hand eye coordination
stamina
nutritional awareness
mental resilience
focus
visual acuity
stroke skills
eye patterns
ball to ball physics
game strategies
equipment maintenance

Improving each of these skills/areas will improve performance. I’m sure I left some things out.

I’m curious as to why you think pool is not as complex as golf.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Low500...If you even had half a clue, you would know how to distinguish "expert/professional" instructors, like Mark Finkelstein, and many others I could mention (most of the best instructors in the USA post here(. Some used to, but were driven off by the trolls (look in the mirror at this point). Professional, quality instruction, that utilizes video analysis, is a solid path to a better pool game...whether you're just starting out, or you've been playing for 50 years. Anyone can improve, if you approach it the correct way. BTW...nothing is free in this world. Watch all the youtube videos you want...but it still doesn't replace the value of one on one instruction.
Here's the sad state of affairs here in the USA...I hear this every day from poolplayers of all abilities: "Pool lessons? I don't need pool lessons...I KNOW how to play pool. What I really need is a new (insert brand name here) cue! If I only had that cue, everything would be different!" That same player will plunk down $500-$2000+ for that cue...but wouldn't even consider spending a few hundred to actually learn how to play with it!
Scott Lee
Maybe some literary comment could be in order here......"hell hath no fury like that of an instructor scorned".
Enough said from me.
Reference my post #23.
Have a nice day.
:thumbup:

Last edited:

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Mystifying to me. The world's top professionals, at the top golfers and tennis players strive and work out frequently with their coaches and teachers, making the changes hoping to get even better. But pool players think they can get it by playing. Is it money or mentality?

Money, mentality and culture of the sport--every golf club on Earth has a pro and likely several assistant pros, too. Most pool halls lost their in-house instructors and house men decades ago.

Me and other friends, teachers and pros, will play on amateur leagues for fun--just to hang with the guys and gals and so on. We've offered free lessons before and have been turned down by league mates trying to win championships! Do you know what's it like to get on airplanes and daylong car rides and stay in hotels just to have to teach someone who wants to pay for a lesson?

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Money, mentality and culture of the sport--every golf club on Earth has a pro and likely several assistant pros, too. Most pool halls lost their in-house instructors and house men decades ago.

Me and other friends, teachers and pros, will play on amateur leagues for fun--just to hang with the guys and gals and so on. We've offered free lessons before and have been turned down by league mates trying to win championships! Do you know what's it like to get on airplanes and daylong car rides and stay in hotels just to have to teach someone who wants to pay for a lesson?

That's normal on an amateur level in any sport. Not everyone who plays a sport takes lessons. I'm not sure what you're trying to say in your last line.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's normal on an amateur level in any sport. Not everyone who plays a sport takes lessons. I'm not sure what you're trying to say in your last line.

He is absolutely right on with the golf professionals at the range and in the clubhouse. We all get to know them as they are part of the business. Same with the tennis pros. I would say 50% of all golfers take lessons from their pros. Maybe 1% of pool players take lessons. Most would not even be able to tell you who teaches. Besides, even if they did know, they are broke.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's another huge reason top players are skeptical about paying for instruction and it's because VERY few US instructors are either 1 -- willing to brag about their student's accomplishments which includes naming such students or 2 -- they flat out don't have a list of names they can point to of who they have worked with to PROVE their value.

Now I know this will rub some the wrong way but it's a fact. In other sports, players go to someone based on their reputation for working with top players. When it comes to pool in the US, you just don't hear this sort of talk and it leaves me puzzled. I know many instructors will now come along and say they have worked with many top players but which players and why no player endorsements?

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Further -- I know it sort of a chicken and egg thing and also I've heard of different really good players working with Stan Shuffett but that's about it.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
There's another huge reason top players are skeptical about paying for instruction and it's because VERY few US instructors are either 1 -- willing to brag about their student's accomplishments which includes naming such students or 2 -- they flat out don't have a list of names they can point to of who they have worked with to PROVE their value.

Now I know this will rub some the wrong way but it's a fact. In other sports, players go to someone based on their reputation for working with top players. When it comes to pool in the US, you just don't hear this sort of talk and it leaves me puzzled. I know many instructors will now come along and say they have worked with many top players but which players and why no player endorsements?

Are you looking for instructors who work with top players or instructors who make lower-level players excel quickly? :smile:

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member

That is true. Not every amateur takes lessons. Comparing golf to pool though, the per capita is much lower for billiards, by a factor of about 1,000.

It is frustrating sometimes to travel far to give a lesson when nearby, students are less open (or frankly, cheap)!

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Low500...Do you consider being a bigot a weakness? Here's some "genuine factual knowledge" for you...Not all "fat" people (there are MANY levels of being "fat") are fat by choice. Some have serious illnesses that cause that condition (or take medicine that does the same thing). For some it's just genetics. Your blanket statement just shows your ignorance...about this subject and many others. Have a nice day! :rolleyes:

Scott Lee

I dislike fat people. I consider being fat a weakness.
That's just me, but what do I know? I'm just an old worn out pool player who really loves the game and likes to work and soak up genuine factual knowledge.