mid cue extensions...questions

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
assuming the distance from your bridge hand to your grip hand is a constant if your forearm is perpendicular to the floor
if you have a mid cue extension
then to me ...icbw
assuming you dont change your bridge length (are you supposed to with these extensions ??)
you now have a heavier cue with a balance point more forward but you have more cue behind your grip hand
what advantage does that give you..?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
assuming the distance from your bridge hand to your grip hand is a constant if your forearm is perpendicular to the floor
then to me ...icbw
assuming you dont change your bridge length (are you supposed to with these extensions ??)
you now have a heavier cue with a balance point more forward but you have more cue behind your grip hand

A shiny new toy always seems to work better -- for a while.

I think that if a player wants a 62 inch cue he ought to have one made with the exact weight and balance he wants.

I think cue behind the grip hand is of no advantage.

Hinekanman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got one. I always play with a 60 inch cue but I have a 58” that plays phenomenal. When I have the extension on the 58 it’s nice for a stretch shot and I don’t much notice a difference in weight. It’s almost an ounce. I don’t recognize how much cue is behind my hand because I slide it back to where it’s suppose to be and don’t think about the rest left over. It will probably take getting use to I’m sure for someone who never used one.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member

then to me ...icbw

A diff cue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have to change your bridge length when you use a cue extension in place of a mechanical bridge. It defeats the purpose of the longer cue if you keep the bridge length the same.

I wouldn't suggest trying anything fancy with it, though. With a bridge length practically the length of the shaft, there isn't a whole lot you can do.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I had to adjust to the 2.5" extension...I do like it. I moved my rear grip and front bridge slightly forward.

However I bought the mid ext. strictly as a cross thread adaptor to use a UniLoc (revo) shaft on a 5/16-14 butt. The cue weight/balance feels great either way.
The only other reason I would use a mid ext. would be for a longer (dedicated) cue for stretch shots...and the extension would be 6".

As mentioned....using a ME changes the cue. No reason to get one other than to experiment. Custom extensions cost about $40-65... I bought a Balance Rite...the manufacturer states they may not roll true and they are 100% correct. Mine went back as fast as I received it. "0" precision in the making.

Last edited:

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I picked up a balance rite (used) so I got it cheap. I tried it for a few hours, and put it away.

If I need to reach for a shot I use my butt extension, or a bridge.

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
In theory 2 joints near each other will hinder the sticks natural "HIT" to the cue ball. Compression and rebound in one joint suppresses to "X" amount, 2 joints is doubling it. Plus the sticks natural vibration is now changed.

I'd have to test it to know the difference.
Currently I'm just voicing conjecture.

Come to rethink on it, wouldn't a 3 piece cue be better all the way around?
A shorter cue case would fit on my bike. :thumbup2:

Last edited:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
You have to change your bridge length when you use a cue extension in place of a mechanical bridge. It defeats the purpose of the longer cue if you keep the bridge length the same.

I wouldn't suggest trying anything fancy with it, though. With a bridge length practically the length of the shaft, there isn't a whole lot you can do.

Earls the only guy I ever seen truly like a really tripped out whippey cue. Flimsy as a bream pole last I seen him

To each their own I guess lol. It was cool the shots he could snap