Turning Stone Players List as of 12/26

J SCHWARZ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe I read on Shane's FB page that he is playing the Joy Masters Cup Chinese 8ball which is Jan 5th- 10th. I went back and looked but couldn't find it. Maybe someone else could confirm.

As far as a waiting list for turning stone, I don't believe one has ever been posted.

Now that you mention it Corey Deuel said something on the stream during the Christmas Classic 8ball tournament that he was going to a Chinese 8ball tournament in the beginning of January

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Chinese tourney must be the one Dazz won 100K at. Shane is a regular at that event.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe I read on Shane's FB page that he is playing the Joy Masters Cup Chinese 8ball which is Jan 5th- 10th. I went back and looked but couldn't find it. Maybe someone else could confirm.

As far as a waiting list for turning stone, I don't believe one has ever been posted.

He's got a much better chance at Turning Stone, but it's good that he's challenging himself.

july9x

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow that list make me feel like is this my local poolroom's Monthly tournament lmao, I see less than 10 premium players there, prize is too small?
Derby City Classic is coming soon 2 weeks after this so I guess elite players are waiting for Derby maybe?

DawgAndy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Turning Stone is one of the few major pro level events in the USA. People picked to play in the Mosconi Cup should be dedicated pro pool players who play in pro events. Part of the problem the USA keeps having in the Mosconi Cup is that most players out there play only part time "pro" pool and cherry pick Mosconi Cup ranking events and then skip most of the others.

It is a large part of the reason team USA a remains weak relative to the Euros, who tend to travel more and play all the world class pro events. American pool players need to worry less about Mosconi Cup ranking points and instead worry about winning World Championships and top tier events, and Turning Stone is one of them with or without MC points. They should have been signed up months ago with the rest of the field.

Am I the only person who thinks the Mosconi cup is not a measure of pool greatness ?

Andy
never really saw the big deal

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Am I the only person who thinks the Mosconi cup is not a measure of pool greatness ?

Andy
never really saw the big deal

Nope, you're far from alone. The made for TV event is a yawn, mainly because I have zero interest in the team play (somehow our Coach can't recognize that our team talks way tooo much), and the races to 5 are a crap shoot. Also, 9 ball still? :rolleyes:

mmktierney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the Mosconi Cup is great to watch. Short races intensifies the drama. The crowd is loud and the pressure is over the top. BUT...it is terrible for the players....short races in 9 ball REALLY? Its a crap shoot and if I were to have to pay my $$$ to enter this event then...no way would I enter. This format is for the viewing audience ...there were 18 points(I think)....8 hill hill matches...that could have gone either way ..........made for TV and a loud audience .....

Last edited:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah it's such a crap shoot. Europe has won 8 of the last 9 just by getting lucky, over and over and over again.

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
The one pocket

Their has been a 2k one pocket event scheduled the same exact time for months. Those guys have to first worry about making a living. Playing in the one pocket event made a lot more sense. It paid more and was a drivable distance.

Big Truck posted the lineup and none of the Mosconi Cup players are in it.

Wedge

budonahog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Random question,

Can someone who has paid their entry already sale or give their spot away to anyone they want, or do spots get vacated to people who are already on the list.

In other words, could someone already paid into the tournament give their spot to anyone that they choose?
Mike does not allow this. If you can't make it, Mike will notify next in line. I agree with this if only for the simple reason someone could buy in and then sell to the highest bidder.

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
Yup!

Zuglan runs a regional event. He doesn't care one way or the other if it's a Mosconi points event. He didn't cave to the pro union that wanted it a seeded event either. Mike is a straight shooter. If you pay your entry...you are in. The pros all know you gotta pay months in advance to get in. Just 200 bucks.

He treats all players the same. He's forfeited top players for being 16 minutes late...

He's the right man for the job. Runs one of the most sucessful tours in the country. Been doing it for 15 years.

Make a mold ,copy it and then make 3 or 4 more Like Mike Zuglan. (They won't even argue with each other!) :thumbup:

The great thing about Turning Stone is that it is a PRO-am event. Mike Zuglan treats EVERYONE the same,..... he's Pure Platinum Pool ! :smile:

Looking at the players list, every A+ to Shortstop is gonna be there this year,(I only seen 2 names missing).
Maybe them MC guys a little shaken by the pool of talent there this year ! :grin-square:

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Shane and Corey

Daz confirmed in another thread that Shane and Corey are playing in The Joy Chinese 8 Ball. That only leaves Justin and Skylar MIA.

Wedge

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
I think you guys are completely missing the point.

So what if someone doesn't play in Mosconi Cup points events?
What is Mosconi Cup worth? 20k if you win, 10k if you lose to each player?
IF you get on the team?

Some players are more concerned about making a living, rather than selling their soul to play in every single Mosconi Cup points event.

I know we can all criticize players left and right on here about what WE think is right or not, but look at it from a players point of view.

Would you rather go play in an event where the winner can make 3 or 4 times what Mosconi Cup pays? Or a Mosconi Cup points event where you don't stand to make nearly as much money if you actually do well.

Players are gonna do what's in their best interests.
They are gonna figure out their costs vs the possible return and make their choices.
Sometimes, that can mean, not slaving away and going to every single Mosconi Cup points event.
Sometimes, picking and choosing ones events, payout, field size, field difficulty, vs time invested, is the smarter choice.

There is a whole year ahead.
If they miss every single Mosconi Cup points event, THEN you can start complaining about what they did wrong.

At the end of the day, I doubt certain players are going to care if they got on Mosconi cup or not if they made more money playing in stuff that didn't qualify them.

Last edited:

cueenvy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You think they are scared of the Ko brothers or the reigning US Open champion???

Mole Eye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Superstar,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that if a person wants to make a living playing tournament pool, they would 1st- enter as many tournaments as possible- and 2nd- enter the tournaments that had the better payouts. Surely the Mosconi Cup points tournaments falls into that category. Also, making the Mosconi Cup team in itself is profitable, and prestigious. I cannot imagine any player that would not want to make the team. Yes, sometimes there will be conflicts or circumstances where people miss tournaments, but when a player misses a large percentage of them, the only thing one can say is that they're not interested, and pick players that are. I don't think there will be a lot of scheduling conflicts where a player can make more money somewhere else-some, but not many

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Superstar...
1st- enter as many tournaments as possible- and 2nd- enter the tournaments that had the better payouts. Surely the Mosconi Cup points tournaments falls into that category.

What does 1st at Turning Stone pay?
What does 1st at the Chinese 8ball pay? (No Mosconi points)

While you are at it.
Why not add up all the Mosconi Cup points event 1st places, and then compare that to the 98K that Darren won at the Chinese 8ball World Championship.

What if there is a tournament that has a star studded field, and a player has the opportunity to beat up on some fish for a lot of money that is more local with less travel expenses?

Mosconi cup is just 1 aspect of the American Pool landscape.
There are plenty of players who don't care about making the team.
Especially when making the team means travelling to absolutely everything, and not really making THAT MUCH MORE profit, then had they not blows tons of money on the tournament trail.

J SCHWARZ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Especially when making the team means travelling to absolutely everything, and not really making THAT MUCH MORE profit, then had they not blows tons of money on the tournament trail.

One player who was in the top five points wise for most of the year and didn't make it said that he was stuck 17K in expenses chasing points over the year. Even winning would have barely made a profit. I'm not knocking the MC in any way, I think the rivalry, short races, all the pressure, and the crowd make a great event

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If a couple of them are playing in China, that's great and understandable. I just hope that some of the others didn't simply forget or otherwise fail to stay on top of the schedule.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
One player who was in the top five points wise for most of the year and didn't make it said that he was stuck 17K in expenses chasing points over the year. Even winning would have barely made a profit. I'm not knocking the MC in any way, I think the rivalry, short races, all the pressure, and the crowd make a great event

My point exactly.
It costs money to play. And there is no guarantee of winning.

How many people have a salary like SVB does from cuetec?

Not many.

Sometimes it's just not worth it.
You play in the events you want to play in, and if you make Mosconi Cup, that's great.
If you don't, oh well.
But you might have saved money in the long run.

That's what people need to understand instead of getting bent out of shape about it.
American pool players do not have some patriotic duty/obligation to play in everything Mosconi Cup, simply because the fans want to see them compete.
If that's the case, let the fans on AZ sponsor their favorite players to all the Mosconi Cup events.:rolleyes:

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Although I am a long term supporter of Matchroom I am disappointed in their decision to make the criteria for selection a ten month qualifying trek where the team is not known until a few week before the event.
In reality there are less than a dozen US players currently capable of performing to the required standard to represent the USA. But with NO exceptions/ every one of them would have to up their skill level to match their European counterparts. Any dedicated pool fan on AZ would probably be able to name most of this Dirty Dozen
With the tournament route, not only is it expensive but over half of these will be disappointingly out of pocket. A good example of this would be Scott Frost who was within touching distance of the final team. Forking out $1000 for a final charge at the US Open he failed to match his pacemaking form in one event and watched Mike Dechaine and Corey Deuel deny him his dream.
Now is the time for Mark Wilson to play to his strengths. For the last two years he has made an excellent job as Team Manager, a position requiring lots of administration.
But he is a world class COACH and his talent would better be used in One to One coaching of his core players. Shane is not exempt from this and Mark could take his consistency up a notch or two. The same applies to Justin and Sky. They are near neighbors and could help Mark by helping each other.
Mike Dechaine should round off this initial batch who need to close the skill/attitude gap that exists between the USA and Europe.
The tournament scene can continue and players can make financial decisions on these without the feeling of being shackled to the calendar. Anyone who produces an exceptional performance in any substantial event will have his feats analysed by Mark Wilson and possibly get invited on to his CLOSE THE GAP program. This ensures that the selection process is not a closed shop.
One of the major flaws in a tounment based points system is that one prospective team hopeful could get an early exit at the hands of Ko Pin Yi or Jayson Shaw while another might go further against a couple of short stops.