Pool Halls Have Felt Changes

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Decades ago, pool halls were identified as a place for men to escape for smoking, drinking, betting and fighting. Perception was reality. But the old images don't match reality in the 21st century.

While alcohol and wagering still can be found in pool halls, many facilities are intent on emphasizing the game itself.

“The game has evolved and it is very popular, especially since we haven’t had a (pool-themed) movie out lately,” said Melissa Little, a professional player from Denver with the nickname Viper. “‘The Color of Money’ really sparked a lot of interest. We need a new movie out. That one is kind of outdated and doesn’t connect with the new millennium.”

In 1961, Paul Newman starred in the movie, “The Hustler,” which delivered attention to pool, but the interest declined until Newman and Tom Cruise gave the game a boost with the 1986 movie “The Color of Money.”

While Hollywood hasn’t delivered another recent big break, the internet is having an impact.

Interesting read --> Pool Halls Have Felt Changes [Retrieved 19 August 2017]

Greg Kingsbury, manager of Mile High Billiards, 11651 W. 64th Ave., Arvada, noted that there’s no smoking and less gambling in today’s pool halls. You’re more likely to find a player holding a smartphone than a cigarette or a wad of cash.

“There used to be a tendency that there was more hustling,” he said. “Nowdays, there’s not a much hustling because the information around is exchanged so freely. You know who the good players are. You can just get on the internet and see who anybody is.”

One place that attracts top talent is Rocky Mountain Billiards Training Center, 4111 S. Natches Court in Sheridan.

“All the best players in town pretty much come to train before they go to pro events,” owner Dave Hughes said. “My place is just about pool. There is no alcohol and no pinball machines ... It’s all about training and equipment."

Attachments

• 1501603314_22ed.jpg
    1501603314_22ed.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 804

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bravo to Melissa "The Viper" Little!

KIDS LEARN TO WORK THE ANGLES

It turns out that spending time playing pool can be a good teaching tool for mathematics.

“Pool is geometry, physics and calculus,” said Melissa Little, of Denver, who is the world’s sixth ranked professional women’s player.

Little has helped show groups of between 10 and 50 students from area school districts, including Denver, Cherry Creek and Jefferson County, how pool relates to math.

“We do a credited school program where kids actually get math credit,” Little said.

“When I go to the schools, they’ll tell me what they are working on whether its geometry, physics or calculus, and then the teacher and I get together and come up with some kind of lesson for them.

Little educates students on how math principles can help a pool shot.

“As far as geometry goes, that would be the angles, the different angles for shots,” Little said. “If you have spin, that would be physics and when you have speed and spin, that creates calculus. Of course, there is probability and that is statistics.

“It’s hands on. I’ll teach them. I’ll show them, give them instructions and I might set up different shots for them to try. Depending on what we are working on, I print out some sheets and they will tell me which shots have an acute angle and I’ll quiz them at the end. They get extra credit if they get them all right. So there really is a whole curriculum that we could do.”

The pool halls donate the time for the school excursions.

“It’s really about having fun,” Little said. “You bring kids into a pool room and they are like, ‘wow this is really cool’ and then they actually understand math a little better.

“I don’t get paid. It’s like a contribution back to the game.”

Attachments

• YouthBilliardClinic-GDT-011214-4.jpg
    YouthBilliardClinic-GDT-011214-4.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 810

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Melissa Little has been training the youth in pool for quite some time, yet receives little to no recognition for her effort. Bravo to The Viper! She stopped talking and started chalking to effect a change for the better in the pool world! :cool:

Attachments

• YouthBilliardClinic-GDT-011214-4-2.jpg
    YouthBilliardClinic-GDT-011214-4-2.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 794

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Melissa "The Viper" Little, who was Boulder bred, has won more than 50 billiards tournaments across the country since 1988 when she took up her cue.

Looks like thanks to Melissa and other Colorado pool peeps, you and old, pool is alive and well in the Rocky Mountain State.

Attachments

• viper_pool_wynkoop_2.jpg
    viper_pool_wynkoop_2.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 795
  • viper_pool_wynkoop_21.jpg
    viper_pool_wynkoop_21.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 794
  • viper_pool_wynkoop_1.jpg
    viper_pool_wynkoop_1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 795
  • viper_pool_wynkoop_10.jpg
    viper_pool_wynkoop_10.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 788

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Great stories about Youth Programs.

Too bad Minors are not allowed in a lot of Billiard Halls depending on City/County ordnances and the attitude of the Room Owners and the Regulars.

In the majority of Pool Rooms there is not enough support and encouragement for Youth and Beginners.

Last edited:

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
It's so good to hear, I hate playing on old felt.

That one kid is gonna be the next Minnesota fats, he's halfway there.

:p:grin-square:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bravo to Melissa Little. She's giving back to the game she loves. One must admire that. I hope she gets paid back ten-fold. :cool:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One barrel!? Ya nit!

You could have won a million, now you get nothing.

Attachments

• IMG_0617.JPG
    IMG_0617.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 434

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks

Bravo to Melissa Little. She's giving back to the game she loves. One must admire that. I hope she gets paid back ten-fold. :cool:

And Bravo to you for for informing us here on AZ of a great story.
P.S. Love your avatar pic!

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
JAM - thanks for this post. Yes, Melissa does not get the recognition she deserves when it comes to promoting and growing pool. She is always the first to step up to support worthy causes, in our case she donated many items and pool lessons to support the Child Advocacy Center of Larimer County (my wife was on the board) for the silent auction at their fundraiser event. Thanks again, Mighty Melis!

Melissa has brought in top women talent to the Denver area for us to enjoy in the form of challenge matches and other exhibitions, including: Ga Young Kim; the Black Widow; and Vivian V. to name a few.

She also arranged for SVB to visit the deaf in 2008, which was one of the most touching stories that year (maybe any year). You can read more about it here: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=98111. (hard to believe this was almost 10 years ago)

Thank you Melissa for all you do (and JAM for her contributions to this forum).

Dave

Last edited:
Reactions: JAM