Gus Szamboti 70's

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's only about 4 months from now and not that far from me so there is a good chance I will make it. Thanks for the advice

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see The Derby City tournament thing has started. How is it looking there as far as possible buyers for my Gus Szamboti? What are the chances I will be able to sell it if I take the time/effort to get there in the next few days? Which day would you recommend I get there to get the most exposure, etc? Thanks in advance.

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see The Derby City tournament thing has started. How is it looking there as far as possible buyers for my Gus Szamboti? What are the chances I will be able to sell it if I take the time/effort to get there in the next few days? Which day would you recommend I get there to get the most exposure, etc? Thanks in advance.

ASAP. Bring the cue and all relevant papers and ancillaries. Keep it in your hands at all times and find Don Sherman, it won't be hard. Might enter one of the tourneys to get a players pass so you can bring your cue in, but I'm not sure about that.

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It will have to wait until another time. I had thought Derby City was a 2 week thing but I see that it ends tomorrow. Maybe with the stock market going sky high maybe higher prices for rare cues will be more available. I hope so :)

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
It will have to wait until another time. I had thought Derby City was a 2 week thing but I see that it ends tomorrow. Maybe with the stock market going sky high maybe higher prices for rare cues will be more available. I hope so :)

You had the offer to end them all already!

Super Billiards Expo near Philadelphia is in April and that's a pretty heavy show for the collectors to come buy things.

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a good time to revisit the state of high end pool cue sales and interest since we just finished a 10 day event where a lot of cues were presumably bought and sold. Part of my interest in creating this thread was to show full disclosure of the bids I had received for my Szamboti and the 100+ "appraisals" I had gotten in private messages. In this way I think a lot of people may have learned something. Now with the stock market up almost 50% in the last year and everyone's 401k accounts are overflowing the question I have is what was the activity like and what were the prices like at Derby City for the high end cues. Surely some of you can honestly respond to this and we can all learn. Thanks in advance

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
This is a good time to revisit the state of high end pool cue sales and interest since we just finished a 10 day event where a lot of cues were presumably bought and sold. Part of my interest in creating this thread was to show full disclosure of the bids I had received for my Szamboti and the 100+ "appraisals" I had gotten in private messages. In this way I think a lot of people may have learned something. Now with the stock market up almost 50% in the last year and everyone's 401k accounts are overflowing the question I have is what was the activity like and what were the prices like at Derby City for the high end cues. Surely some of you can honestly respond to this and we can all learn. Thanks in advance

Lol, the current market is not improving

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
That is certainly disappointing. With the stock market rising 50% having no effect then what will ever possibly cause a rise in interest in high end cues?

Welcome to the downward spiral! Enjoy the ride. You can either accept what he market is willing to pay at a specific period of time or hang on and wait. Although there are still many cue collectors and people who would like one really nice cue worldwide, they seem to be more focused and there are fewer collectors now than 10-15 years ago IMO.

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Welcome to the downward spiral! Enjoy the ride. You can either accept what he market is willing to pay at a specific period of time or hang on and wait. Although there are still many cue collectors and people who would like one really nice cue worldwide, they seem to be more focused and there are fewer collectors now than 10-15 years ago IMO.

Is it your prediction that the high end cues like Szambotis are going to continue to go down in value?

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the general feeling about the Super Billiard Expo next weekend? Is it a safe place for me to walk around with such an expensive cue and will there be enough people there to see it and make offers to make it worthwhile? It is about a 6 hour drive for me. Thanks

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it your prediction that the high end cues like Szambotis are going to continue to go down in value?

I bought my Gus cheap and can't get what I paid for it. There was a beauty on AZ recently that just sat and mildewed at a ridiculous $7,500. I think many collectors will kick themselves 2 years from now when all these deals are gone and the cues not showing up like they are today.

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
What is the general feeling about the Super Billiard Expo next weekend? Is it a safe place for me to walk around with such an expensive cue and will there be enough people there to see it and make offers to make it worthwhile? It is about a 6 hour drive for me. Thanks

Never know without taking the plunge. This is the first ive seen this thread but after almost 40K views and another 2500+ on your cue its got a lot of exposure, the question now is that good or bad. If you go to the expo look up Sureman and he can help you im sure. I never saw the cue, just the shafts I guess. There will be lots of cues there that are more expensive than yours. Just from reading the posts in this thread it sounds like your cue is really sweet, but not the Holy Grail of cues so its value more than likely isnt going to go thru the roof in a few years if you choose not to sell at what people may offer. You paid $400 42 years ago and someone said it might be worth $18K now...is it worth waiting another 42 years and hope it doubles and you might get $36K. A friend of mine had a primo 65 chevelle (flawless over every square inch) and sold it at Barrett Jackson, they estimated it to bring around 90K...it only took a few minutes on the block for him to look like he went 12 rnds with Mike Tyson and he went home with $34K. Same car came up a few years later and brought less.

$TAKE HOR$E ~~~> Once walked the Vegas strip with 2 Rolexs and a Patty Philippe

Last edited:

sureman183

Got "Boti's" ??
Silver Member
Logdog, i would advise you to bring it to expo. 6 hrs is a short drive, i'm driving from quite a ways up in Michigan, about 780 miles for me. if you choose to, i will display it for you. you will get more exposure than trying to show it individually. your choice. i'll be in booth 113, just in main entrance. i have several nice cues, but will make room, if you chose. you could carry a sign around, but that may be frowned on by Alan Hopkins the promoter of the event. plus you draw a lot of attension to yourself, not a good thing. there will be thousands of people, but only a few collectors. they know which booths to go to. regards, Don Sherman aka Sure Man Cues

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member

SBE is very safe—nobody knows what’s in your case, or cares much really. Your cue will not be the big dog there, I’d wager on that. Going there should be an educational experience and hopefully fun. You’ll likely see other high end cues including Szambotis and prices. You might even see Barry Szamboti.

I wouldn’t think there will be significant upward movement in a cash offer for your cue above the numbers that have already been talked about here but you never know until you go and see.

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Where are the pics of this cue. What condition would you say its in? What are asking for it or better yet what do you feel you need to let it go.