My custom Capone cue! :(

DirtyHarry

Registered
Hi guys,

I have a rather small collection of custom cues, and in my collection I have a custom cue made by Capone. It's only played a couple racks. When I had it ordered, I had the entire butt sleeve made of complete snake wood.

I was in the military and before I left, I stored all my cues in custom cases in a climate controlled room. I came back, and I took out all my cues to admire them as I tend to do from time to time, and the only one that had damage was the Capone cue.

My heart dropped. I spent close to $3k to have this cue made and waited for almost a year to get it. There are 3 cracks running down the butt sleeve on the snake wood. How they got there, I do not know. The cue was stored in a climate controlled environment, just like all my other cues and valuable collectables.

The only way I think this could have happened is that the wood was not properly cured before it was made. After it was made, the wood must have somehow expanded causing it to crack. That's just a guess.

I bought the cue a few years back from Roy, and he told me he has to charge me for the repair work. I just don't think that's fair. If I had the cue in my trunk and was constantly going from hot to cold temps, I can see that being an issue...same as for the ivory, I know that a cue could suffer such damage. And that's why I don't keep a $3k cue in the trunk of my car.

I have been trying to reach Mr. Capone directly....but am having very little luck in reaching him. What are your opinions? I had to sell off most of my cue collection to feed little mouths, and I decided to keep two cues....a Southwest and the Capone (as well as a break and jump stick). I'm going to have to get the cue fixed either way, but I think Mr. Capone should repair it without charging me. He very well may, I just have not been able to reach him. Roy said he would have to charge me.

I'm going to attempt to attach a picture. The cue is MINT aside from the 3 openings/cracks in the butt sleeve. No dings or signs of use. I hope I hear back from Mr. Capone. I love his cues and he by far one of my favorite makers. Opinions? Thanks!

Harry

Attachments

• butt.jpg
    butt.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 3,470

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I would contact the Cuemaker, and ask about the price of repair. Yu stated, "I was in the military and before I left, I stored all my cues in custom cases in a climate controlled room. I came back, and I took out all my cues to admire them as I tend to do from time to time, and the only one that had damage was the Capone cue."

So you have zero idea as to what happen in you absense.

FYI From the ACA Web-site

Michael Capone
PO Box 886 Poolesville, MD 20837

Phone: 301-349-2187

FAX: 301-349-2188

Email: mike@caponecues.com

DirtyHarry

Registered
I would contact the Cuemaker, and ask about the price of repair. Yu stated, "I was in the military and before I left, I stored all my cues in custom cases in a climate controlled room. I came back, and I took out all my cues to admire them as I tend to do from time to time, and the only one that had damage was the Capone cue."

So you have zero idea as to what happen in you absense.

FYI From the ACA Web-site

Michael Capone
PO Box 886 Poolesville, MD 20837

Phone: 301-349-2187

FAX: 301-349-2188

Thank you for your reply.

I did try to contact Capone a few times, but no luck. When I was away, none of my cues were touched....so saying I have "zero idea" what happened to them when I was away is totally off. They were under lock and key, and my wife NEVER touches my stuff. I don't have kids old enough to go unlocking and opening up display cases and vaults.

The only "idea" I have is that the wood was not completely cured when made and it still had some moisture inside. Over time, that moisture tried to bleed out...and when it finally did, it caused the 3 cracks. There is no ding or dent that would show that the cue was hit with something. It's all I can think of. When I ordered this cue, I had to wait longer than most because I had the entire sleeve made of snake wood, and I was told it will take longer to find a large enough piece...or so Roy had told me. Thanks.

Harry

POOLGODBEWITHME

Tom "B" player
Silver Member
That's cool

You can give me a call at 609-577-9600 or email me at mike at caponecues dot com and we can take care or your issue.

Mike Capone

A guy has a problem with a cue posts on a website, original cuemaker hears about it, sets up account and posts " give me a call we'll see what we can do" that is awesome! Another cuemaker on the list of guys I gotta buy a cue from some day! Bravo!!!

To the OP, nobody has said this yet, but snake wood sucks! It is so beautiful but you never know when it's gonna snap, kinda like a beautiful woman:grin:
I have a snake wood pen that was made over ten years ago been in the same desk same house same climate, a few months ago I take it out and huh there's a crack. It's worse than ivory, most people say its not if its gonna crack, it's when.

DirtyHarry

Registered
A guy has a problem with a cue posts on a website, original cuemaker hears about it, sets up account and posts " give me a call we'll see what we can do" that is awesome! Another cuemaker on the list of guys I gotta buy a cue from some day! Bravo!!!

To the OP, nobody has said this yet, but snake wood sucks! It is so beautiful but you never know when it's gonna snap, kinda like a beautiful woman:grin:
I have a snake wood pen that was made over ten years ago been in the same desk same house same climate, a few months ago I take it out and huh there's a crack. It's worse than ivory, most people say its not if its gonna crack, it's when.

My hat comes off to Mr. Capone. I spoke with him and I'm being taken care of. I know he is super busy and didn't get around to getting my message, but we worked everything out and I am extremely impressed and ever so happy with how he handled the situation. A true professional and a very understanding guy.

As for the snake wood sucks comment, I don't know what to say to that....I have a friend that has an exotic hunting rifle that has a snake wood stock. It's BEAUTIFUL and he has been hunting with this rifle for over a dozen years. I'm actually toying of getting a rifle with a snake wood stock.....but it's VERY expensive. I love the pattern/grain of the wood.

I don't have to tell you guys how great his cues are. My brothers and I all use Capone cues and we are all VERY happy with how well they are made and his attention to every detail. This particular cue has an ivory joint and ferrule...I have not used it all that much, but out of all my ques....this one feels best in my hands and it really does make me feel more confident when playing. A true piece of art.

Again, thank you Mr. Capone for helping me out. Guys...customer service doesn't get any better than this!!

Harry

POOLGODBEWITHME

Tom "B" player
Silver Member
snakewood

My hat comes off to Mr. Capone. I spoke with him and I'm being taken care of. I know he is super busy and didn't get around to getting my message, but we worked everything out and I am extremely impressed and ever so happy with how he handled the situation. A true professional and a very understanding guy.

As for the snake wood sucks comment, I don't know what to say to that....I have a friend that has an exotic hunting rifle that has a snake wood stock. It's BEAUTIFUL and he has been hunting with this rifle for over a dozen years. I'm actually toying of getting a rifle with a snake wood stock.....but it's VERY expensive. I love the pattern/grain of the wood.

I don't have to tell you guys how great his cues are. My brothers and I all use Capone cues and we are all VERY happy with how well they are made and his attention to every detail. This particular cue has an ivory joint and ferrule...I have not used it all that much, but out of all my ques....this one feels best in my hands and it really does make me feel more confident when playing. A true piece of art.

Again, thank you Mr. Capone for helping me out. Guys...customer service doesn't get any better than this!!

Harry

I didn't really mean that it sucks, It was kind of a joke. snakewood is my favorite wood, I think it is the prettiest wood there is, (redwood burl being a close second). But if you search snakewood on here and look at the discussions cuemakers have about it, most don't have good things to say about working with it as far as cracking/checking. Most wood suppliers are all sales final with snakewood also, just because it is so unstable. Anyway, I'm glad Mr. Capone is gonna take care of you on this. I've got to say this is one of the best customer service outcomes I've ever seen!
Good luck, and nice cue.

Oh yea, I'd love to see pictures of that snakewood rifle stock. I'll bet that looks killer!
Tom

SoniDJ

what's in your wallet
Silver Member
Hi guys,

I have a rather small collection of custom cues, and in my collection I have a custom cue made by Capone. It's only played a couple racks. When I had it ordered, I had the entire butt sleeve made of complete snake wood.

I was in the military and before I left, I stored all my cues in custom cases in a climate controlled room. I came back, and I took out all my cues to admire them as I tend to do from time to time, and the only one that had damage was the Capone cue.

My heart dropped. I spent close to $3k to have this cue made and waited for almost a year to get it. There are 3 cracks running down the butt sleeve on the snake wood. How they got there, I do not know. The cue was stored in a climate controlled environment, just like all my other cues and valuable collectables.

The only way I think this could have happened is that the wood was not properly cured before it was made. After it was made, the wood must have somehow expanded causing it to crack. That's just a guess.

I bought the cue a few years back from Roy, and he told me he has to charge me for the repair work. I just don't think that's fair. If I had the cue in my trunk and was constantly going from hot to cold temps, I can see that being an issue...same as for the ivory, I know that a cue could suffer such damage. And that's why I don't keep a $3k cue in the trunk of my car.

I have been trying to reach Mr. Capone directly....but am having very little luck in reaching him. What are your opinions? I had to sell off most of my cue collection to feed little mouths, and I decided to keep two cues....a Southwest and the Capone (as well as a break and jump stick). I'm going to have to get the cue fixed either way, but I think Mr. Capone should repair it without charging me. He very well may, I just have not been able to reach him. Roy said he would have to charge me.

I'm going to attempt to attach a picture. The cue is MINT aside from the 3 openings/cracks in the butt sleeve. No dings or signs of use. I hope I hear back from Mr. Capone. I love his cues and he by far one of my favorite makers. Opinions? Thanks!

Harry
This happened to a custom cue of mine, the butt split in two places (tulip wood).
Lots of variables, I think Capone will take care of it. It is dis-heartenning but happens.

DirtyHarry

Registered
I will see if I can grab a picture of the rifle with the snake wood stock. I'm really so happy that Mr. Capone is taking care of my problem. His customer service is right up there with the quality of his cues. I'm actually looking to find another plane Jane ebony cue of his as I gave mine away as a gift not long ago. If you are still here Mr. Capone, once again....thank you so very much. You really are indeed one of the finest cue makers out there!

Harry

DirtyHarry

Registered
Hope this works....

I can't begin to express how happy I am with Mr. Capone's customer service...his service is right up there with the quality of his cues. I couldn't be happier! I hope he is able to find a nice piece to use like the one he originally used....the snakewood really is a jaw dropper, I love it and find it to be ever so sexy.

Oh, and I'll see if I can get a picture of that rifle with the snakewood stock. I've seen many pistol grips made out of snakewood before...

snakewood%20pistol%20grips%20web.jpg

158618LR.JPG

I LOVE SNAKEWOOD!! Would love to have a desk made out of this stuff! A snakewood pen also sounds like a nice idea. :)

Again, THANK YOU MR. CAPONE!! It's great to see your customer service is right up there with the quality of your cues. Customer for life!!!

Harry

DirtyHarry

Registered
Getting a little worried....I've been trying to reach Mr. Capone for a few weeks now to find out the status on the cue I sent him. I sent several emails and called many times. Nothing. I'm sure he is very busy but I don't think it's fair to ignore phone calls and emails for over a month. I spent almost $3k on this cue.

I do hope Mr. Capone gets to read this. If anyone communicates with him, kindly ask him to reach me. He has all my info...but here is my email addy...

Hangelikas@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Harry

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bravissimo!

Reassuring to see a stand-up guy performance that seems to me to be totally spontaneous, sincere and well-intended. It's sadly true this type of laudable behavior has become increasingly rare nowadays, especially in light of the recent bad press some other cue-makers have caused on some of the different AZ Fourms.

If I was looking for a cue right now, I'd purchase a cue from this paison just because of his gracious approach towards customer service and interest in making his customers pleased with owning one of his cues. But I'm having my 3rd rotator cuff surgery on Tuesday and so pooling play is on hold until next year and this applies to any more cue purchases as well.

But the good news is I have a custom cue on order and I'm hoping the build might start this year so I have something to get excited about while I'm during this horrible rehab therapy...........been there and done that twice already and it's like some mid-evil torture chamber experience.

Back to Mr. Capone.........when was the last time you witnessed something like that on AZ......no questions posed on his part whatsoever........no chit chat......friggin' succinct and straight to the point. Again............Cudos to Mr. Capone.

Last edited:

dom_poppa

Banned
Bravissimo!

Reassuring to see a stand-up guy performance that seems to me to be totally spontaneous, sincere and well-intended. It's sadly true this type of laudable behavior has become increasingly rare nowadays, especially in light of the recent bad press some other cue-makers have caused on some of the different AZ Fourms.

If I was looking for a cue right now, I'd purchase a cue from this paison just because of his gracious approach towards customer service and interest in making his customers pleased with owning one of his cues. But I'm having my 3rd rotator cuff surgery on Tuesday and so pooling play is on hold until next year and this applies to any more cue purchases as well.

But the good news is I have a custom cue on order and I'm hoping the build might start this year so I have something to get excited about while I'm during this horrible rehab therapy...........been there and done that twice already and it's like some mid-evil torture chamber experience.

Back to Mr. Capone.........when was the last time you witnessed something like that on AZ......no questions posed on his part whatsoever........no chit chat......friggin' succinct and straight to the point. Again............Cudos to Mr. Capone.

All these good things said about Capone from you but please read the post before yours.

DirtyHarry

Registered
Still trying to reach Mr. Capone for a while now.....no luck. :(

Mr. Capone...I know you are very busy making your holy cues. If you happen to read this, PLEASE get back to me when you can. I left you both several emails and voice mails. I really appreciate you repairing the cue for me, but I'm beginning to grow a little concerned, I do hope you understand.

Again, my email is hangelikas@yahoo.com. My phone number is on your voice mail and in my email messages I sent you. Thank you very much.

Regards,

Harry

DirtyHarry

Registered
So he gets on here gives his contact information but doesn't answer your calls?

That's correct. He doesn't answer both my calls or email messages....and I sent him back the cue before the summer. I'm worried and concerned, not sure what my next step should be. If anyone knows him rather well and keeps in touch with him, please ask him to address this situation. Thanks fellas.

Harry

DirtyHarry

Registered
Update

UPDATE:

I finally managed to reach him on his phone....he was on vacation. Long story short, he was able to find a large enough piece of good looking snake wood, it took some time but he has it now. I was told to expect it around Thanksgiving. He was very kind and apologized for the delay. He mentioned something along the lines of finding a different way to use the snake wood as a full sleeve so that it won't crack.

All in all, I should have the cue back in a few weeks....and I'm still a die hard fan of his masterpieces. I can't wait to get her back! :)

Harry