Top Snooker players with a closed bridge?

Pangit

Banned
Has there ever been one? I consider snooker players the cream of the crop in the pocket billiards world. I prefer an open bridge as well.

The only time a prefer a closed bridge is with my version of a power break.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Has there ever been one? I consider snooker players the cream of the crop in the pocket billiards world. I prefer an open bridge as well.

The only time a prefer a closed bridge is with my version of a power break.
Some older snooker books recommend the "loop" (closed) bridge for screw (draw) shots, and I think I've seen one or two current pros do that but they are a tiny minority. More common is to use some kind of closed bridge on the rail.

You might get more answers in the snooker forum.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Ronnie O'Sullivan use it a little back in the 00's. He doesn't much anymore, but he still pulls it out occasionally.

Alex Higgins would use it from time to time, I think, on some draw shots. You may also see players use a closed bridge occasionally when cueing along the rail.

Most players, however, stick with variations on the open bridge. Personally, I go many months without using a looped bridge. It's largely due to the awkwardness of creating a looped bridge with such a thin shaft.

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's because of the taper of their cues- straight conical taper - that makes a closed bridge impractical.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's because of the taper of their cues- straight conical taper - that makes a closed bridge impractical.
Carom players often have the same issue since the taper of many carom cues is close to conical. Their solution is often to wear gloves.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Not since George Chenier or Paul Thornley.

There are a couple of names I have not heard for awhile....although one may be be a member here.

I have a bridge so open that BCA instructors have told me that it is "the most open bridge ever".

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

UHHHH??? What about the millions of Carom players worldwide?

Not to mention the millions of pool hall players who played almost exclusively with house cues
prior to the 1960s.

Dale

Last edited:

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Carom players often have the same issue since the taper of many carom cues is close to conical. Their solution is often to wear gloves.

OK. For today, but gloves have only become common recently.

Not sure if I understand how a glove would help with a taper other than the cue
might slide more easily.

We all value your input. Could you explain your thoughts please?

Also, why do you think the Snooker players have ignored gloves?

Not trying to hi-jack this into a glove thread - perhaps this should be a separate
discussion.

Dale

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the info.

How does a glove help with a conical taper and closed bridge?
It lets the cue slide more easily (and consistently). That, as noted above, can be a problem with a conical taper and a closed bridge. I think there is nothing complicated here.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Also, why do you think the Snooker players have ignored gloves? ...
I think I've seen a snooker player with a glove and an open bridge. Under humid conditions and/or a not-so-clean cue, even an open bridge can be bothersome, but there is little advantage to a glove with an open bridge.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I've seen a snooker player with a glove and an open bridge. Under humid conditions and/or a not-so-clean cue, even an open bridge can be bothersome, but there is little advantage to a glove with an open bridge.

First of all, who of you have played a strict canonical taper?
While it does work with a closed bridge, it doesn't work effortlessly, as the thickness rises quickly. No fun without a glove, at all.
But it works beautifully with an open bridge, much more consistent and accurate that an pro taper with an open one. No more hopping about, just plain and straight through your aiming line.

Second, I always play with a glove and always play an open bridge.
It does have advantages, for example, after 2,5hours of constant playing it doesn't rub on you skin.
Your cue stays much more clean, the glove even collects the chalk dust and doesn't rub it into the wood.
You basically do not care about the weather or anything, even not really about the finish of your shaft - it just slides consistently.
So yes, a glove is always more comfortable and you dont need to think anymore. All that for 5$ (Cuetec) - I'd say it's a win!

I think for Snooker players it's about looks and tradition.
And as you can see they rub down their hands and shafts quite regularly and heavily.

Cheers,
M

Last edited:

Big Bad Bern

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I might see one of them next weekend, if I can make the tournament. Glad someone else remebers, although I never got to see Chenier play I've heard a bunch of stories. Enjoy that open bridge :thumbup:

There are a couple of names I have not heard for awhile....although one may be be a member here.

I have a bridge so open that BCA instructors have told me that it is "the most open bridge ever".

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wasnt Cliff Thorburn known fir his "loop" bridge?

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Wasnt Cliff Thorburn known fir his "loop" bridge?

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

The bridge is open....

IMG_4297.JPG

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

George Chenier is a member here? ;)