Please Explain Your "Aiming System"?

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't believe in the pivot systems and just try to place the CB to where it's edge hits the edge of the OB so that it goes where it needs to go. I don't really aim the edge but just align the CB middle to where it needs it to go, kind of a ghost ball but not really. No one cares about what I do, but I would love to hear other's comments.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
CTE!

Enough said.

randyg

Thanks for that. You are a teacher, right? So, if a new student shows up, do you teach them CTE? I've never seen someone play that way. I do know there are 5-6 people that frequent the "aiming" threads that do believe in that system. I'm hoping the others will comment also.

Last edited:

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CTE PRO ONE

There's only 3 or 4 shots. There are defined perceptions for each shot with known CCBs. I played the ghost a race 7 on my 10 footer a good while back. 95% of my shots were 15s and 30s. I put that video up on Vimeo. Anyway, it's nice to primarily play 2/3 perceptions all the time that have no guess no adjustment CCBs. What I really love about using CTE is that it's an every shot natural ordeal. It's never one shot here and one shot there. It's a a complete way of always seeing and aligning. I would compare it to what you know, Denwit, about a straight-in. You see it, you know it and align to the known center. In CTE every shot is just exactly like that. I'm bored to death with it, it's so easy. It's like Hal said, If you learn CTE it may ruin your game.

Stan Shuffett

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have no idea how I aim. I don't imagine a ghostball or have the amazing ability to keep focused on a contact point. Maybe I learned via ghostball and after a few years it became so automatic that I just started seeing the shots. Can't know for sure because I don't remember exactly how I started.

In about 2006 I started thinking about teaching my daughters to play pool. They were 6 and 8 at the time. Not being able to show them how I do it made it a challenge. So I experimented with several different aiming methods. I don't like pivoting methods because the exact same pivot produces different shot angles depending on the distance between the balls. Back then, years ago, I worked out a way to adjust for this, but it involved having to accurately guess at the distance in order to make it work consistently. Then I looked fractional aiming and liked the concept of straight alignment towards a known aim point. But of course there was the age-old problem of not knowing exactly which fraction to use without knowing the angle of the shot. That's when I started troubleshooting that old-age problem and found a solution.

Now I still aim by what feels like instinct, not focusing on any particular aim. But I also incorporate my fractional system on a shot here and there when I don't quite see it naturally. It also works as a jump start when I find myself hitting the balls poorly. All I do is use the system on every shot for a few balls, sometimes a rack or two, and all of a sudden I'm automatically back in tune and just seeing the shots again.

To each their own. If what you're doing is working, keep doing it. If it's not, try something else.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
CTE PRO ONE

There's only 3 or 4 shots. There are defined perceptions for each shot with oknown CCBs. I played the ghost a race 7 on my 10 footer a good while back. 95% of my shots were 15s and 30s. I put that video up on Vimeo. Anyway, it's nice to primarily play 2/3 perceptions all the time that have no guess no adjustment work CCBs.

Stan Shuffett

Thanks for that.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
I have no idea how I aim. I don't imagine a ghostball or have the amazing ability to keep focused on a contact point. Maybe I learned via ghostball and after a few years it became so automatic that I just started seeing the shots. Can't know for sure because I don't remember exactly how I started.

In about 2006 I started thinking about teaching my daughters to play pool. They were 6 and 8 at the time. Not being able to show them how I do it made it a challenge. So I experimented with several different aiming methods. I don't like pivoting methods because the exact same pivot produces different shot angles depending on the distance between the balls. Back then, years ago, I worked out a way to adjust for this, but it involved having to accurately guess at the distance in order to make it work consistently. Then I looked fractional aiming and liked the concept of straight alignment towards a known aim point. But of course there was the age-old problem of not knowing exactly which fraction to use without knowing the angle of the shot. That's when I started troubleshooting that old-age problem and found a solution.

Now I still aim by what feels like instinct, not focusing on any particular aim. But I also incorporate my fractional system on a shot here and there when I don't quite see it naturally. It also works as a jump start when I find myself hitting the balls poorly. All I do is use the system on every shot for a few balls, sometimes a rack or two, and all of a sudden I'm automatically back in tune and just seeing the shots again.

To each their own. If what you're doing is working, keep doing it. If it's not, try something else.

Thanks for the input. I think we do it the same way most likely. I started playing Snooker in the early 1960's and we just tried to hit the edge of the OB towards where it's supposed to go. On a new student, I would show them how the balls line up, how the 180 degree edge points to the pocket. On my cut shot practice, I try to make the OB hit #5 on the pocket. I make myself hit 5 shots that way before moving on. As we all know, 80-90% of cut shots are hit thick and miss. I absolutely hate the shot that hits the cushion and goes in.... a horrible #1.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the input. I think we do it the same way most likely. I started playing Snooker in the early 1960's and we just tried to hit the edge of the OB towards where it's supposed to go. On a new student, I would show them how the balls line up, how the 180 degree edge points to the pocket. On my cut shot practice, I try to make the OB hit #5 on the pocket. I make myself hit 5 shots that way before moving on. As we all know, 80-90% of cut shots are hit thick and miss. I absolutely hate the shot that hits the cushion and goes in.... a horrible #1.

Fractional aiming is a very common learning method in Snooker. Has been for decades, with dozens of table diagrams showing various lines between diamonds to help determine specific angles and fractions. The diagrams need to be memorized. Did you ever see the diagrams?

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Fractional aiming is a very common learning method in Snooker. Has been for decades, with dozens of table diagrams showing various lines between diamonds to help determine specific angles and fractions. The diagrams need to be memorized. Did you ever see the diagrams?

No, I have not. I don't play snooker anymore. But, as you know, I would not do the fractional aiming. I think that 1/2 ball hit is the only one that I would be sure of and I don't even do that.

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for that. You are a teacher, right? So, if a new student shows up, do you teach them CTE? I've never seen someone play that way. I do know there are 5-6 people that frequent the "aiming" threads that do believe in that system. I'm hoping the others will comment also.

Yes I am. PBIA Master Instructor.

I teach students the ABC's of aiming long before I teach anyone CTE.
CTE is the great end result of leaning the ABC aiming fundamentals.

randyg

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes I am. PBIA Master Instructor.

I teach students the ABC's of aiming long before I teach anyone CTE.
CTE is the great end result of leaning the ABC aiming fundamentals.

randyg

Awesome. Now, I'd love to hear from the other instructors and better players on here; Scott Lee, Tony in MD, FranCrimi. Lou, Dan. Let's hear yours.

Last edited:

paultex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wouldn't it depend on the shot or in other words, what you are trying to do with the cueball or in other words, what is possible to do with the cueball?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CTE PRO ONE

There's only 3 or 4 shots. There are defined perceptions for each shot with known CCBs. I played the ghost a race 7 on my 10 footer a good while back. 95% of my shots were 15s and 30s. I put that video up on Vimeo. Anyway, it's nice to primarily play 2/3 perceptions all the time that have no guess no adjustment CCBs. What I really love about using CTE is that it's an every shot natural ordeal. It's never one shot here and one shot there. It's a a complete way of always seeing and aligning. I would compare it to what you know, Denwit, about a straight-in. You see it, you know it and align to the known center. In CTE every shot is just exactly like that. I'm bored to death with it, it's so easy. It's like Hal said, If you learn CTE it may ruin your game.

Stan Shuffett

This comment isn't intended to promote or demote CTE, but just an observation.

If 95% of your shots are 15 degrees and 30 degrees, it means you are playing the table angles to leave "relatively" the "same" shot, over and over.

C.J. Wiley does the same thing with the TOI playing system he promotes.

I try to play my position the same way. I tell people, over and over, I feel like I'm shooting the same shot all the time (if I'm playing well at the time).

If you leave 15 and 30 degree angles all the time it is "easy" to move the cue ball to almost any position on the table without much difficulty.

Position is just as important as aiming. If you can't play position, your aiming is going to run out at some point.

I would like to learn CTE. I think I probably utilize some of it without even knowing it. When you play for over 50 years, your brain somehow figures out what you are supposed to do (for me, that is...maybe not for everyone).

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If 95% of your shots are 15 degrees and 30 degrees, it means you are playing the table angles to leave "relatively" the "same" shot, over and over.

I try to play my position the same way. I tell people, over and over, I feel like I'm shooting the same shot all the time (if I'm playing well at the time).

If you leave 15 and 30 degree angles all the time it is "easy" to move the cue ball to almost any position on the table without much difficulty.

Position is just as important as aiming. If you can't play position, your aiming is going to run out at some point.

I would like to learn CTE. I think I probably utilize some of it without even knowing it. When you play for over 50 years, your brain somehow figures out what you are supposed to do (for me, that is...maybe not for everyone).

You are absolutely correct! Were it not for friendly angles conducive to running out on a 10 footer such as 15s and 30s, chances of success diminish greatly with 45s and 60s for that size surface. Any shot on a 10 footer is automatically 25% tougher right off the because of distance and then on top of that you have to let the CB go. It's much tougher to get back in line when you have turn whitey lose.

There's likely some CTE occurring in your game, more so for ball address than full stance. HAL told me that I'd never learn CTE because of its oddness. It is indeed odd and different at first but it's really no hill for a climber. It's just that it's important to really understand how to specifically use your vision. I have finally (totally) understood it. It will be free online for all to partake as players. There's are pretend like versions of CTE out there for what it's worth.

Stan Shuffett

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member

That's a great point. It applies to many aiming techniques. If a player can play reasonable position and continually leave shots/angles/fractions/perceptions that he feels confident shooting, he'll be doing a fine job.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

When Stan says 15s and 30s, he does not mean that the actual cut angle for the shots is 15 degrees or 30 degrees.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
When Stan says 15s and 30s, he does not mean that the actual cut angle for the shots is 15 degrees or 30 degrees.

Because there are thick and thin (inside/outside) 15's and 30's, correct?