Recommendation for case interior that won't fuzz up linen wrap

angluse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Focus case (w/Sharpie, thanks SDJ!) with JB ultrapad interior. Holds cues firmly, but I've had a couple wrapped cues (Klapp, and a KCcues SW copy) whose wrap would fuzz up after a few insertions and removals. I carried them with butt joint up, hoping that the effect might be reduced, to no avail. It was suggested by someone, that a higher quality cue's wrap might not have this problem, but I just got a Schon and it's already threatening to develop the same problem.

I have a Porper case that has hard molded tubes lined with felt, but that isn't great either, since depending on the butt and shaft base width (and esp. one shaft with a long wood joint), they might not slide down all the way making it hard to zip the top.

I liked the old satiny Justis interior, and the loose fit didn't bother me because I don't shake the case around. But it's been hard to find one used that didn't cost a bundle. Seems like the newer Prolite interior he uses is squeezy too, like the JB. Can't exactly tell if there is a big difference between new and old, not being able to compare them.

Question: Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions on what kind of case (or interior) might minimize this problem? I'm looking at It's George, GTF, stuff like that, and I really like the hard McDermott thing with wood ends, but these things ain't cheap and I would rather pick practical over sexy looks.
Only thing I haven't considered yet, is a box case.

Thanks for any advice.
-Nick.

p.s. I tried it, but didn't like using wax paper to keep the fuzz down, because that seems to attract more chalk grime on the wrap. I'm now a less messy bridge-hand chalker, but still have the wrap fuzz-up problem with a squeezy interior.

Last edited:

ron3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like a cue problem not a case problem, I really like the ultra pad JB interior and have never had a problem,but I do occasionally wipe my wraps down with waxpaper . Think I would rather have my cues supported than bouncing around in a thin lined case but then to each his own.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Have used my Justis for 8 years now. My cues are fine...I place both cues and shafts in with joint protectors up, as Jack instructed. I also place a car shop rag atop them when packing. Use it for wiping down the cues after playing. Maybe this stops 'em from rattling so much.

Guess I need to shake 'em more to cause damage? :rotflmao1:

Last edited:

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Try using these.

The old George cases. Fellini cases. Centenial cases. Also Ron Thomas cases. Never had a problem and I play with Blue Mountain linen or of course no wrap.
Nick :)

dvs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have also used all types of cases. JB and Fields have similar interiors which I feel are the best for protections. Others like instroke and swift with the lined tubes allow some movement so probable won't affect the wrap in the way you describe. I've never encountered your problem; but I have a Longoni case which holds the cue firmly in one position with zero movement. If you go with a box case, it is probably tour best choice. Other box cases will allow the cue to slide. I have one box case which is actually custom fit, the case is solid wood with the space for the butt and shafts carved into the wood, even with a narrow space which the pin fits into.

Now that I think about it, I didn't realize how many case I've used over the years.

Good Luck
Dave

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Instroke is a good option. It has a level of padding that I feel comfortable with but doesn't hug the cue as much and mine seem to slide in/out with ease and without the feel of the linen wrap rubbing.

I have JB Ultimate Rugged as well and they're a great case but they will make more contact with a linen wrap and could potentially do what you're describing. It doesn't happen with all wraps though, but it can with some it seems. I don't mind that feel so much, I actually like my linen to not be too slicked.

Other options with tubes that are lined like an old Justis case would be Whitten, Murnak, Melton, or Swift....but none of those are cheap options.

I like my Instroke and you can go vinyl and get the same interior for less than the leather options if you need something affordable.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I really haven't had it happen with any of the cases we build from Instroke through JB Cases. I would tend to say that if a linen wrap is getting fuzzy then it's probably more to do with the wrap material and/or the installation.

We do quite a bit of testing with all of our interiors to insure that they are not damaging the cues. What I mean by that is we do actual rub tests where we vigorously simulate hundreds of hours of use.

angluse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
False alarm.

Seems it was how the wrap was done, not the case interior. One cue with the problem, I had re-wrapped by Meullers and specified that they didn't sand or polish the wrap. It never fuzzed after that. Two new Schons, an old McDaniel with old linen wrap, still no fuzz.

So apologies to John, for indicating that the snug JB interior was the root cause. Thus convinced, I've just picked up a GTF, even more snug.

Thanks for the replies.