True Workings of Pivot-style Aiming

paultex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You do know your body came with something at no extra charge called a HIP, don't you?

If you HIP pivot, the arm and elbow is in the same position of a straight stroke without kicking it out and away to feel alien and awkward. No price to pay.

Damn boy, you gotta be taught everything. Even the obvious.

Lol you are relentless 🙂🙂🙂

There's also a thing called kinseology. Trust me sir, I have dug deep into this journey of mine and 95% of anything I state is my own discovery that then allows me to see how a guy like mr Varner uses elbow out/in to a extreme degree or orcollo elbow in to a primary usage or carlo biado and his more shoulders squared up to the shot line etc etc..... I see these things because I discovered it on my own first.

The hip pivot is another one i delved into through discovery a while back but here's the point, I consider my kinseology more akin to the philipinos in which they seem to naturally contort a distinct way or few ways in general. Efren in his earlier days was very much elbow wayyyy in. The hip pivot as you described as a no brainer solution duhhhhh is not exactly a solve for me because my dominant left eye, coupled with my particular kinseology, makes elbow out or down the line, very difficult. Just one inch of improper right or left foot placement, and the effect is not achieved or if it's close, a couple of warm up strokes and the elbow starts coming in on its own. This is due to the left eye trying to get into better visual line to "see" and the head veers over and this subtle movement brings the delivery system back in again. It's very annoying and I haven't found a comfortable solve for it just yet.

If you ever observe the philipino mr Sambahon or something like that, I believe his very unique mechanics is based off of the same kinseology desparities I have.

Next time you want to be of help and not a wise apple smarty pants, recommend where I can get a good quality butter knife, so I can remove my left eye and I will do so sir at derby city but I will have to charge admission for that particular highlight event. 20$ a head I venture. Maybe 18.99$, I'll have to crunch the numbers.

Ahhhh blissful relief, just 18.99-20$ away. The thought is very very comforting. Thou shall know'ist mine dedication to the temple of pocket billiards youngling.

......hip pivot pffffff, I'LL HIP PIVOT YOU! 🤓🤓🤓

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Lol you are relentless

Garsh, thanks 'ol buddy.

The hip pivot is another one i delved into through discovery a while back but here's the point, I consider my kinseology more akin to the philipinos in which they seem to naturally contort a distinct way or few ways in general. Efren in his earlier days was very much elbow wayyyy in. The hip pivot as you described as a no brainer solution duhhhhh is not exactly a solve for me because my dominant left eye, coupled with my particular kinseology, makes elbow out or down the line, very difficult. Just one inch of improper right or left foot placement, and the effect is not achieved or if it's close, a couple of warm up strokes and the elbow starts coming in on its own. This is due to the left eye trying to get into better visual line to "see" and the head veers over and this subtle movement brings the delivery system back in again. It's very annoying and I haven't found a comfortable solve for it just yet.

Why solve it? Capitalize on it. Join a carnival side show with a pool table for people to come see the HUMAN PRETZEL shoot pool. Man, you have all kinds of things going on with positions, contortions, appendages and joints hanging out along with bulging eyeballs to where it must be a sight to see.

Next time you want to be of help and not a wise apple smarty pants,

Awww c'mon, don't take all of my fun away from me

recommend where I can get a good quality butter knife, so I can remove my left eye and I will do so sir at derby city but I will have to charge admission for that particular highlight event. 20$ a head I venture. Maybe 18.99$, I'll have to crunch the numbers.

Butter knife??!! What kind of sissy knife is that. I heard Lorena Bobbitt is auctioning off her knife that she used to cut off her husband's crank and then throw into roadside ditch. I'll check to see if it's still available.

......hip pivot pffffff, I'LL HIP PIVOT YOU! ������

What can I say. Just trying to help. :thumbup:

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
The place I went to had a new pizza on their menu. It was called the Brian Crist pizza. You got 1/2 of a pizza with as many toppings as desired but paid full price for a full pizza. It was called the Foolology.

I passed on that one. :rotflmao1: :rotflmao1:

I feel bashed.

I'm sure if that new pizza had been called the Loaded 2X1 Phenomena you'd have paid upwards of $70 for it, despite not knowing what it's loaded with or how it was made. :grin-square:

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I feel bashed.

I'm sure if that new pizza had been called the Loaded 2X1 Phenomena you'd have paid upwards of $70 for it, despite knowing what it's loaded with or how it was made. :grin-square:

Not true. I would have paid upwards of $150 and knew for a fact it was made by a MASTER CHEF. :cool:

paultex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What can I say. Just trying to help. :thumbup:

Ok then, thanks for reminding me of your lack of creativity, thus a lack of my'en as well. That's my'en Boston style by the way.

Where can I find a spoon then, suitable for this spectacle of dedication? The snooty kind aristocrats eat bread pudding with?

Ummmm thanks.

PS.......you don't actually have to say or respond. Carry on soldier. This place is better with you and brian going at it. Ya'lls back n forth pool discussion be high level cuz i aintz understanding this he're pivotizing thangs but i be learn'ding.

paultex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I've said for shots thinner than a 1/4 (not a 1/2 ball), the player will have to practice in order to become proficient and develop a good feel for aiming. It comes with experience, like learning CTE Pro1 or anything else that involves good judgement. It's something the player figures out through table time, which also builds confidence. I believe most players could easily be nailing 1/4 to 1/8 ball cut shots within a week of practicing them. From there they'll have a better feel for thinner cuts as needed.

i disagree completely.

Theres a remedy for gaps and it doesnt have to succumb to a thing called "feel".

One can only succumb to an event, not a "thing". Feel is a esoteric binder to the sequence equations at hand.

I also believe, concentration predicates feel by a mile.

Yes feel, i get it, but not to help make a ball or certain shots or whatever. What next? Body english and head lifting etc etc? Those can fill gaps too, but how does one judge that, other than experience i guess.

A concert pianist virtuoso, doesnt seem to choke or require some inordinate amount of time to develop pedigree. Their technique is often ideal and understood to the point of knowing exactly what they are doing. Pool is no different, but its more complex imo, thus more involved, thus takes longer to understand, thus misunderstood as if its an arguous task only accomplished by the god given.

I say poppy cock.

Good day to you sir!

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
i disagree completely.

Theres a remedy for gaps and it doesnt have to succumb to a thing called "feel".

One can only succumb to an event, not a "thing". Feel is a esoteric binder to the sequence equations at hand.

Yes feel, i get it, but not to help make a ball or certain shots or whatever. What next? Body english and head lifting etc etc? Those can fill gaps too, but how does one judge that, other than experience i guess.

A concert pianist virtuoso, doesnt seem to choke or require some inordinate amount of time to develop pedigree. Their technique is often ideal and understood to the point of knowing exactly what they are doing. Pool is no different, but its more complex imo, thus more involved, thus takes longer to understand, thus misunderstood as if its an arguous task only accomplished by the god given.

I say poppy cock.

Good day to you sir!

Pauly, that has to be one of the most erudite and understandable posts you've ever made. Maybe the best post anybody has ever made regarding "feel".

I'd like to see you continue to go in this direction with all the "FEELERS" in the world of pool. You know who I'm talking about. The ones who can write novels and give speeches to a large audience but can't string two sentences together to describe what they're seeing and doing with various functions of pool.

"It's like FEEEEL, man. I can't explain what I see or do. It's ALL FEEL". They're also the ones who can tell everyone else exactly what they're doing, not doing, seeing not seeing, why it doesn't work and is impossible in up to 5 million words at a time.

Yep, these "FEELERS" are all knowing and all to willing to discredit what they know nothing about in thousands of posts yet can't describe their own world beating techniques in a couple of paragraphs. AMAZING!

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
i disagree completely.

I say poppy cock.

Good day to you sir!

By "body english" are you talking about hip pivots, twisting the wrist on the final stroke, or aligning in one direction while your stroke is offset in a different direction from your vision? Or are you talking about using portions of your tip to create varying pivot angles at varying bridge lengths? I mean, there are players that do all of these things to fill gaps, and it's a trial and error process that they work on until they get it working, until it FEELS right.

You described feel best with the word "experience ".

And, being a musician, I can say you are 100% incorrect about the concert pianist. They do choke and strike the wrong keys here and there, but 99.9% of listeners wouldn't know it because they don't have the ear to recognize slight tonal mistakes, and because the pianist immediately improvises and moves on like it was meant to be played that way. They can do this because they are one with the instrument, feeling every tone, not just hearing it, but feeling it. They play on autopilot due to the feel of creative flow. And it DOES require an inordinate amount of time to develop this free-flowing ability, typically a few years of finger exercises, hundreds of hours of painful practice, and then there's ear training, music theory study, etc....it isn't something a non-musician can learn in a short time by simply buying a piano, taking a few weeks of lessons, and watching a few YouTube clips.

In contrast, a non-pool-player can buy a cue, spend a few weeks with a good pool instructor, and become a decent pool player quite easily. When comparing musicianship to playing pool, the lists of fundamentals and required knowledge are worlds apart. You can become an incredible pool player by simply developing solid basic fundamentals -- stroke, grip, stance -- and a basic understanding of cb and ob reactions/movements. To become an incredible musician you need to develop the basic fundamentals of playing your specific instrument, and you need to fully understand all aspects of music theory, and have an ear that allows you to hear everything going on in real time so you can get into the flow of the music. What pool and music share is the ability to be able to enter that flow, that zone where you're automatically performing at a high level with very little conscious effort. That's FEEL at its extreme. It's tough to explain, but when it happens you know it's happening and you ride it out for as long as it lasts.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Pauly, that has to be one of the most erudite and understandable posts you've ever made. Maybe the best post anybody has ever made regarding "feel".

I'd like to see you continue to go in this direction with all the "FEELERS" in the world of pool. You know who I'm talking about. The ones who can write novels and give speeches to a large audience but can't string two sentences together to describe what they're seeing and doing with various functions of pool.

"It's like FEEEEL, man. I can't explain what I see or do. It's ALL FEEL". They're also the ones who can tell everyone else exactly what they're doing, not doing, seeing not seeing, why it doesn't work and is impossible in up to 5 million words at a time.

Yep, these "FEELERS" are all knowing and all to willing to discredit what they know nothing about in thousands of posts yet can't describe their own world beating techniques in a couple of paragraphs. AMAZING!

When you decide to use a 1/4 tip pivot vs a 1/2 tip, what is your criteria? When using CTE Pro1, you get your ccb perception from the visuals, then you decide if it looks like it needs thinned or thickened from there. What is your thought process for this decision?

It's judgement. Judgement based on experience. You look at it and think, "Hmmmm.....it needs to be thinner." Then you sweep from inside to ccb and look at it from there, asking yourself, "Does it feel right? Does it look right?" If it does you fire away. If it doesn't you either adjust a normal amount as you would for any shot until it looks or feels right, or you start over. This is how Stan explained it in one of his clips. You might be different. You might pivot or sweep miraculously to the exact ccb needed every time with no double checking or verification required...no alignment tweaking as Stan does in his videos. If so, you probably run over top of Allen Hopkins when you two play. :grin:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
When you decide to use a 1/4 tip pivot vs a 1/2 tip, what is your criteria? When using CTE Pro1, you get your ccb perception from the visuals, then you decide if it looks like it needs thinned or thickened from there. What is your thought process for this decision?

It's judgement. Judgement based on experience. You look at it and think, "Hmmmm.....it needs to be thinner." Then you sweep from inside to ccb and look at it from there, asking yourself, "Does it feel right? Does it look right?" If it does you fire away. If it doesn't you either adjust a normal amount as you would for any shot until it looks or feels right, or you start over. This is how Stan explained it in one of his clips. You might be different. You might pivot or sweep miraculously to the exact ccb needed every time with no double checking or verification required...no alignment tweaking as Stan does in his videos. If so, you probably run over top of Allen Hopkins when you two play. :grin:

Since you already answered your question to me and for me, how about you answer my question to you?

How do you aim by feel when you play? What do you see? What do you align your cue tip or CB to and why? What determines it?

Don't give me the Poolology method because you don't use it. Give me the one you used and currently use.

I can't run over Hopkins but I'm sure you probably could. Would you like me to set up a match for you? He might be a little hesitant looking for weight but you can talk him into playing even. What do you say? What's your best and favorite game to play?

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Since you already answered your question to me and for me, how about you answer my question to you?

How do you aim by feel when you play? What do you see? What do you align your cue tip or CB to and why? What determines it?

Don't give me the Poolology method because you don't use it. Give me the one you used and currently use.

I can't run over Hopkins but I'm sure you probably could. Would you like me to set up a match for you? He might be a little hesitant looking for weight but you can talk him into playing even. What do you say? What's your best and favorite game to play?

I see and align to the same thing you align to after your pivot or sweep...center cue ball. But instead of coming in at an offset pivot angle based an off of a chosen ob ref point, both factors chosen based on experienced judgement of course, I simply look at where the cb needs to be and go straight to the ccb that sends it there. It came from years of doing it. Not sure if it started as a ghostball ref or what, but i dont visualize a ghostball center. I call it feel. I look at the shot, align my stance and stroke. If it looks right and feels right, I pull the trigger. If it looks right but doesn't feel right, then I stand back up and determine why it doesn't feel right. Maybe it's a lack of confidence....looks right but my brain says WAIT! SOMETHING IS IFFY HERE.

As far as Hopkins.....If a player asks for a spot, they don't need action.....they need practice. Lol. He's a champion...one of my favorites.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I see and align to the same thing you align to after your pivot or sweep...center cue ball. But instead of coming in at an offset pivot angle based an off of a chosen ob ref point, both factors chosen based on experienced judgement of course,

Yeah, but we aren't on the same planet when it comes to aiming the CB to OB relationship for making the shot.

I simply look at where the cb needs to be

How do you determine where the OB needs to be struck? If the CB needs to strike it there, how do you get the equal and opposite side of the CB to strike the magic spot on the OB because that is what needs to happen? Are you using the center of the CB...Equal and opposite contact spot on the CB...Edges of the CB...a fraction on either one...a shadow ...a light...

and go straight to the ccb that sends it there. It came from years of doing it. Not sure if it started as a ghostball ref or what, but i dont visualize a ghostball center. I call it feel.

If you aren't sure about this and you aren't sure about that your "feel" can be defined as GUESSWORK.

I look at the shot, align my stance and stroke. If it looks right and feels right, I pull the trigger.

More guesswork. What makes your guesswork or looking right and feeling right highly accurate or superior or inferior to another player who does it this way?

If it looks right but doesn't feel right, then I stand back up and determine why it doesn't feel right. Maybe it's a lack of confidence....looks right but my brain says WAIT! SOMETHING IS IFFY HERE.

More guesswork. This isn't FEEL it's the GUESSING AIMING SYSTEM. Trust me, I've played this way myself for years. It's a terribly shitty way to play consistently on a day to day basis or week to week. Just terrible, unless you flat out get into a lucky dead zone one night because everything comes together and you couldn't miss if you tried. Two or three days later it's playing like a dog again. Comparatively speaking that is to the HOT night and maybe better than almost everybody in a particular pool room but NOT at your true potential on a consistent basis. There's no framework or references to really work on for improvement. How in the hell can FEEL or GUESSWORK be improved? Where does one even start?

As far as Hopkins.....If a player asks for a spot, they don't need action.....they need practice. Lol. He's a champion...one of my favorites.

I'll talk him into giving you a spot. What do you want and which game?

Last edited:

paultex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By "body english" are you talking about hip pivots, twisting the wrist on the final stroke, or aligning in one direction while your stroke is offset in a different direction from your vision? Or are you talking about using portions of your tip to create varying pivot angles at varying bridge lengths? I mean, there are players that do all of these things to fill gaps, and it's a trial and error process that they work on until they get it working, until it FEELS right.

You described feel best with the word "experience ".

And, being a musician, I can say you are 100% incorrect about the concert pianist. They do choke and strike the wrong keys here and there, but 99.9% of listeners wouldn't know it because they don't have the ear to recognize slight tonal mistakes, and because the pianist immediately improvises and moves on like it was meant to be played that way. They can do this because they are one with the instrument, feeling every tone, not just hearing it, but feeling it. They play on autopilot due to the feel of creative flow. And it DOES require an inordinate amount of time to develop this free-flowing ability, typically a few years of finger exercises, hundreds of hours of painful practice, and then there's ear training, music theory study, etc....it isn't something a non-musician can learn in a short time by simply buying a piano, taking a few weeks of lessons, and watching a few YouTube clips.

In contrast, a non-pool-player can buy a cue, spend a few weeks with a good pool instructor, and become a decent pool player quite easily. When comparing musicianship to playing pool, the lists of fundamentals and required knowledge are worlds apart. You can become an incredible pool player by simply developing solid basic fundamentals -- stroke, grip, stance -- and a basic understanding of cb and ob reactions/movements. To become an incredible musician you need to develop the basic fundamentals of playing your specific instrument, and you need to fully understand all aspects of music theory, and have an ear that allows you to hear everything going on in real time so you can get into the flow of the music. What pool and music share is the ability to be able to enter that flow, that zone where you're automatically performing at a high level with very little conscious effort. That's FEEL at its extreme. It's tough to explain, but when it happens you know it's happening and you ride it out for as long as it lasts.

First of all, I had no idea that my statement would be taken as favored by a particular side, so please don't think I am trying to attack with a army for back up against a lone soldier. I was merely stating what I think is correct methodology.

And don't come back with the bravado stuff, like, ohhh I don't mind if you and spidey and lowball, bring it on!

The fact is, if I teamed up with just those two alone, and of course with me directing most of the effective attack, because I am the third revelation.......you know what would happen to guys like you? We would run you out of town on a raiiiiiilllllll.

Boom, done, you would be finished and living out in the streets. You young punks need to learn the word, RESPECT'O.

I don't have time to respond to all this, but ofcourse i had time to type out this stick talk. I been sipp'n syrup an'been geeked eh'verrr since.

Missing a key here and there is not what I call choking. In other words, a high level musician isn't going to be able to run out behind closed doors and then need the 5 and the breaks because people are watching.

I used to do a trade called metalspinning. I used to choke at different levels until I basically knew exactly what I was doing and to the point that if important customers came in and the owner giving them a tour, and stop by my lathe and watch, and I know the boss is counting on me extra here, I DID NOT GIV A FK WHO WAS WATCHING ME, pressure wasn't even in the equation and that's the truth.

You have my word that if it was not the truth, I would not pursue this pool thing. Im not a person who wastes time to fail. Pool is easy.

Learning the drums after I win the us open all around title, now that's going to be quite a mind fk i am not looking forward to, but, I imagine I'll bring something that ends up being better than buddy rich......Not sure though, gulp.

Ok, you have a nice day now and remember, because the ob goes into the hole any which way, that is NOT all that matters. That statement you made in the past hangs over the seeds of destruction you sowed over your head and keeps you in check in perpetual perpetuity perpetually and I am being extremely merciful and conceding a victory by bringing out that queen right out the gate. I am not trying to win.

Am i not mercyful? Take the draw. I got you. It's 12 moves out but its there. Don't move until you see it. 🙃🙂🙃😍😇😇😇

paultex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brian, I want you to say that you are a false prophet and feel is a superstition.

Say it, SAYYYY IT.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
First of all, I had no idea that my statement would be taken as favored by a particular side, so please don't think I am trying to attack with a army for back up against a lone soldier. I was merely stating what I think is correct methodology.

And don't come back with the bravado stuff, like, ohhh I don't mind if you and spidey and lowball, bring it on!

The fact is, if I teamed up with just those two alone, and of course with me directing most of the effective attack, because I am the third revelation.......you know what would happen to guys like you? We would run you out of town on a raiiiiiilllllll.

Boom, done, you would be finished and living out in the streets. You young punks need to learn the word, RESPECT'O.

I don't have time to respond to all this, but ofcourse i had time to type out this stick talk. I been sipp'n syrup an'been geeked eh'verrr since.

Missing a key here and there is not what I call choking. In other words, a high level musician isn't going to be able to run out behind closed doors and then need the 5 and the breaks because people are watching.

I used to do a trade called metalspinning. I used to choke at different levels until I basically knew exactly what I was doing and to the point that if important customers came in and the owner giving them a tour, and stop by my lathe and watch, and I know the boss is counting on me extra here, I DID NOT GIV A FK WHO WAS WATCHING ME, pressure wasn't even in the equation and that's the truth.

You have my word that if it was not the truth, I would not pursue this pool thing. Im not a person who wastes time to fail. Pool is easy.

Learning the drums after I win the us open all around title, now that's going to be quite a mind fk i am not looking forward to, but, I imagine I'll bring something that ends up being better than buddy rich......Not sure though, gulp.

Ok, you have a nice day now and remember, because the ob goes into the hole any which way, that is NOT all that matters. That statement you made in the past hangs over the seeds of destruction you sowed over your head and keeps you in check in perpetual perpetuity perpetually and I am being extremely merciful and conceding a victory by bringing out that queen right out the gate. I am not trying to win.

Am i not mercyful? Take the draw. I got you. It's 12 moves out but its there. Don't move until you see it. ��������������

Back to regular programming. I knew that one post was too good to be true. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b5aW08ivHU

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Brian, I want you to say that you are a false prophet and feel is a superstition.

Say it, SAYYYY IT.

Lol. No. Ask any good player, if you know any, exactly how they maneuver the CB around with a little spin here, a little speed there, putting it perfectly where they intend to put it. Or how they never seem to miss bank shots regardless of the angle. This requires a developed FEEL. If you think it's superstition or requires some sort of esoteric knowledge, you have a lot of work to do before winning that US Open.

Feel is involved in every single hand-eye-coordination type of activity. Example: the average person struggles to run a piece of thread through the eye of a needle, but a seamstress can do it like magic every time. How? Is there some secret knowledge there that the average person lacks? Lol. No. It's called developed feel. The seamstress has a better feel for it due to repetitive experience. Pool is no different. Do something enough times, any thing, and eventually you can do it without reaslizing exactly how you are doing it.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
i disagree completely.

I say poppy cock.

Good day to you sir!

I also believe concentration predicates feel.. but a feel for certain shots is important.
You can't just concentrate hoping the ball won't deflect..You must feel the deflection.

paultex.. I think you should write a book. I may not always agree but I like your style.

poppy cock... luv it :smile:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I also believe concentration predicates feel.. but a feel for certain shots is important.
You can't just concentrate hoping the ball won't deflect..You must feel the deflection

How is deflection felt? Do you use parallel English, BHE, Tuck and Roll to apply it?

Can one way of applying it create more deflection than other ways?

How far out do you usually go from center when applying English?

Is deflection affected by speed?

Last edited: