Schon cue question

Jummy2BallRunou

Registered
Anyone know the difference between the STL Schon cues and the CX line of cues?

I tried to read up but didn't find much. Figured some dealer or smartie smart cue person on here would know.

Thanks on advance

Rip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I recall correctly, the CX line is produced for the purpose of being distributed by one of their largest distributors, CueStix International.

ChrisOnline

4 8 15 16 23 42
Silver Member
yes the CX line is the line of cues schon makes for resale through cue stix only..

chris

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
The CX line is specifically made by Schon Cues for CueStix Intl who distributes them to resellers. The designs can be much more elaborate and less expensive than the STL line because the inlay material that is used in them is not generally as costly. For instance the CX 82 would retail for significantly more if the inlays were ivory rather than a "white material". I have noticed that the CX line resale values are generally lower as well. It would make sense since the material in the cue is not as expensive. However they do play essentially the same as they are constructed the same way with a cored proprietary handle.

al-capool

Imagine all the people...
Silver Member
Shooter08 is absolutely right about the differences he mentioned, between the CX- and the STL-Series!
I just would like to add a few things. The CX-Series is a collection of over 80 different cue designs, which you won't find exact the same in other Series!
The STL-Series is a collection of 20 (not 21) different cue designs. Including the favourites and most sold cues of the earlier/previous R-, SP-, SL- and ST-Series.
But neither the STL- nor the CX-Series are strictly limited in the number of editions! In contrast to the Schön Unique, Elite and Ltd. Cues!

If you prefer, here you got an extract of Schons official Homepage. You will find under www.schoncustomcues.com / About our cues...
Schon STL is a collection of 21 cues which are the classic favourites from all our years of cuemaking, a combination of the R series, the SP series, the SL series and the ST series.
Schon CX is a collection of cues made exclusively for Cuestix International and may only be purchased through a Cuestix dealer.

Last edited:

Jummy2BallRunou

Registered
I got a new STL 5 and am liking the cue thus far. Can't quite move the cue ball near as much as I used to with the Meucci I had with the red dot shaft.

I am thinking about a Predator 314-2 shaft and maybe a new tip. Anyone know the best place to get those and how much money I would be looking at?

Is it too risky to buy a used shaft?

al-capool

Imagine all the people...
Silver Member
I playing myself with a 314-2 shaft on my Schon Unique and I'm using a Black Kamui Soft tip. That combination fits just perfect to me!
I would suggest you to buy it at Seyberts. You can get there the Predator 314-2 Shaft with the original long piloted Schon joint, the Collar and the Schon logo on the opposite side of the 314-2 logo at the shaft -end. With a tip up-grade of your choice (Black Kamui "S" or "SS, for example) you'll pay around 270$, shipping included. And you won't have to wait more than a few days!

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
The CX line is specifically made by Schon Cues for CueStix Intl who distributes them to resellers. The designs can be much more elaborate and less expensive than the STL line because the inlay material that is used in them is not generally as costly. For instance the CX 82 would retail for significantly more if the inlays were ivory rather than a "white material". I have noticed that the CX line resale values are generally lower as well. It would make sense since the material in the cue is not as expensive. However they do play essentially the same as they are constructed the same way with a cored proprietary handle.

Strange that they seem to be much more expensive on the bottom end than the STLs.

I love the look of the CX03, but it's a bit concerning that it's made from cheaper stuff than an STL1/2/3 but costs more.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Strange that they seem to be much more expensive on the bottom end than the STLs.

I love the look of the CX03, but it's a bit concerning that it's made from cheaper stuff than an STL1/2/3 but costs more.

Schon is no longer building cues with Ivory, buy the one you like, shouldn't really make a difference anymore, imho.

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
Schon is no longer building cues with Ivory, buy the one you like, shouldn't really make a difference anymore, imho.

Thanks. What I took from your post, mistakenly it seems, was that the materials used generally (not specifically ivory, in other words) in the CX line were not as good as the STL line. These days, I wouldn't expect actual ivory in any of the cues.