Runde or Schon !

justabrake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
which one Runde or Schon I don't need the History on them just want to know which is a better built cue and which is the better player cue !

Newer cues not the older ones.

15cherries

15cherries
Silver Member
cx series schon with ebony

I have tried runes and lots of schons, for my money a cx series schon from the early 90's is the best value and plays great. I have a cx-06 with 23 years of play that is solid and like new, would not trade it for anything. I have seen some newer schons that have swollen rings and buzzy hit after only a few years.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have both, a recent Schon STL9 and a custom Runde that I just received fairly recently (link in sig to my Runde).

Both are great playing cues! If you just want a solid playing cue for a good price it's tough to beat Schon. Drop $500-600 or even less for a used one, which is how I got my STL9, and you'll have a cue that plays great with no wait time. Also one of the best options for throwing an LD shaft onto in my opinion, I have two that I use on my Schon.

If you want something special, something unique, or care about things like sharp versus rounded points then that is where the Runde shines. Going with a Runde also offers some options that you just can't get with Schon, like original micarta ferrules.

I really wanted a traditional 4 point veneered cue with sharp points so I custom ordered my Runde exactly how I wanted it. It has original micarta ferrules which definitely gives it a great feel and I love the shaft taper that Runde uses. It has the wood, veneer color, ferrules, joint, weight and balance all built to my spec. My Runde feels better than my Schon, to me, and I'm incredibly happy that I have it, it was worth the wait and added cost in my oppinion....but not because it plays better necessarily, but because it feels better (to me) and is built exactly the way I wanted including perfectly executed sharp points.

justabrake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have both, a recent Schon STL9 and a custom Runde that I just received fairly recently (link in sig to my Runde).

Both are great playing cues! If you just want a solid playing cue for a good price it's tough to beat Schon. Drop $500-600 or even less for a used one, which is how I got my STL9, and you'll have a cue that plays great with no wait time. Also one of the best options for throwing an LD shaft onto in my opinion, I have two that I use on my Schon.

If you want something special, something unique, or care about things like sharp versus rounded points then that is where the Runde shines. Going with a Runde also offers some options that you just can't get with Schon, like original micarta ferrules.

I really wanted a traditional 4 point veneered cue with sharp points so I custom ordered my Runde exactly how I wanted it. It has original micarta ferrules which definitely gives it a great feel and I love the shaft taper that Runde uses. It has the wood, veneer color, ferrules, joint, weight and balance all built to my spec. My Runde feels better than my Schon, to me, and I'm incredibly happy that I have it, it was worth the wait and added cost in my oppinion....but not because it plays better necessarily, but because it feels better (to me) and is built exactly the way I wanted including perfectly executed sharp points.

There's this seller on ebay that has brand new runde cues for sale different years and so ! , sharp points and boxes ! I tried looking for runde cues but only got his phone number off another site (easypooltutor) Don't feel like calling for a cue rather of just seen what he was selling !

Thanks !

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's this seller on ebay that has brand new runde cues for sale different years and so ! , sharp points and boxes ! I tried looking for runde cues but only got his phone number off another site (easypooltutor) Don't feel like calling for a cue rather of just seen what he was selling !

Thanks !

Are you talking about the seller "classic_racing"? If so, he definitely has some nice Rundes for sale, I really like a couple that he has listed right now.

Runde isn't building a lot of cues these days from what I understand, I went through someone who has worked with him on a few cues before to get my order in. So if you can find something you like that is already available that is a great way to go, I had to go custom because I wanted a linen wrap and didn't want to settle for anything else as I really prefer linen wrapped cues for my player. If it wasn't for that I was super tempted by the green/purple veneer cue that is available right now with the boxes in the butt sleeve....love that cue!

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Having owned a few schons and played with a dozen or so rundes, it all comes down to $$$. My personal favorites are sharp pointed schons(82-87), as they are not cored. CNC'd schons from 87-92 are not cored either, but not as anesthetically pleasing. I find most of Bob's new Cues a little to busy for my taste. His Cues now. are all cored.

justabrake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Having owned a few schons and played with a dozen or so rundes, it all comes down to $$$. My personal favorites are sharp pointed schons(82-87), as they are not cored. CNC'd schons from 87-92 are not cored either, but not as anesthetically pleasing. I find most of Bob's new Cues a little to busy for my taste. His Cues now. are all cored.

What does cored mean ?

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The answer is simple.....and obvious to me.........Bob Runde........after all, he founded Schon cues.

Go to the teacher, not the student........Bob builds great cues and he won't be doing it much longer.

Contact Deanoc........he's close pals with Bob and usually has some cues in the works as well.

I own a Runde Schon and it definitely hits better than the Schon cues made later on.......it's just a fact.

Nonetheless, I'd rather have a cue made by Bob Runde under his name than my 1985 Schon....
And the Schon cues post 90's and later have a different hit/feel.......I've owned them & since sold 'em.
Just not the same ....no exaggeration........early Schons were better than later years Schon cues.

Do yourself a favor and get a Runde cue before "any" Schon if you ever do have the opportunity.

Matt B.