For the budget player, perhaps...

Sir Scratchalot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I own and play with only 2 cues. An '04 ebony 8-pointer into curly maple with ivory inlays from Steve Kornele and an Adam cue that was already well used when I received it from my best friend 33yrs ago. I have owned a beauty from Steve Klein, as well as cues from Joss, Viking & McDermott. This doesn't exactly mean I know good cues, but...

I just bought a simple Star (by McDermott) cue for my ex/slash housemate (long story).

http://www.mcdermottcue.com/s8.php

For the $123 that I spent on it, I think it looks and feels pretty damn good. I don't think I would suffer much embarrassment by pulling it out for a night of pool at my favorite pool hall. She only received it today and hasn't played with it yet, but I suspect that it will be a good player. More on that to follow.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I own and play with only 2 cues. An '04 ebony 8-pointer into curly maple with ivory inlays from Steve Kornele and an Adam cue that was already well used when I received it from my best friend 33yrs ago. I have owned a beauty from Steve Klein, as well as cues from Joss, Viking & McDermott. This doesn't exactly mean I know good cues, but...

I just bought a simple Star (by McDermott) cue for my ex/slash housemate (long story).

http://www.mcdermottcue.com/s8.php

For the $123 that I spent on it, I think it looks and feels pretty damn good. I don't think I would suffer much embarrassment by pulling it out for a night of pool at my favorite pool hall. She only received it today and hasn't played with it yet, but I suspect that it will be a good player. More on that to follow.

I haven't played with any of the newer McDermott cues, but I have two old ones and they play good. Both of my cues were made in the McDermott factory in the USA.

I have never hit with a McDermott cue that I thought hit bad and I've always thought their quality was good (compared to their competitors and price range).

I am NEVER embarrassed by a cue...I'm only embarrassed by what I can or can't do with it.

I'm sure she will be happy with it.

Sir Scratchalot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We finally got to the pool hall last night and I got to sink a few balls with her new cue. It was, as I suspected, a pleasant experience. It had a good hit and offered decent ball control. I didn't shoot a lot with it (being her's and all) but feel that I could be entirely comfortable and confident with it.

She certainly felt comfortable and confident with. I noticed a distinct improvement in her shooting, and that was after playing on a 9ft table. I typically play 8ft with her. The grip is a little narrower than my 2 cues, which probably fit her small hands better. I'm sure that helped her some.

Like many, I like and can afford a little fancier cue, so I won't be getting one for myself. If you, however, don't care about that stuff and just want a good tool to enjoy the game with, it'd be hard to wrong with this. I think it's a good cue, especially at $123. It won't keep you from bringing your talent to the table.

It can also make a good gift, as I've found out. She's quite happy with it.