U.S. Open update

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Been in communication with Barry and Pat regarding the added money for this years Open. Pat has received close to 50K already and we are over four months out. Things are looking good with this new arrangement. I'll keep you posted as to how things are going in the days and weeks ahead. Like all of you I'm more than curious if Barry will make his deadline (July 25) for all the added monies. At this point in time it looks like he will.

By the way Barry is giving free entry to sixteen of the past champions (still active ones) for this year's 40th edition of the Open. That will be considered part of the 75K added so he still has to come up with 59K for Pat's fund. All other entry fee money will go directly to Pat for safekeeping and he will be awarding all the payouts this year. He has a separate bank account exclusively for the U.S. Open prize money.

I'm much more comfortable with this arrangement than in past years. On this basis I've agreed to return once more as TD. Bill Stock will be assisting me as well as Karl Kantrowitz, so we have a good staff handling the event. Scott Smith will be back to make all the announcements and I'm happy about that too.

With world ranking points attached this is shaping up to be a top flight event once again. I look forward to witnessing some great pool right here in the USA come October.

P.S. JAM, does Keith have one more comeback in him? I think YES!

Last edited:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Check your numbers Jay on Barry's contribution of the free entries for past champs. Something is wrong there.
Edit - OK Mikey Town explained it to me. Apologies!

Last edited:

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Best of luck and I hope it all works out.

And YES, Let's get The Earthquake back in the game! We need to liven it up.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...P.S. JAM, does Keith have one more comeback in him? I think YES!

We're thinking about it seriously, especially since this is the 40th anniversary.

I remember reading that the hotel allows pets, which is a bonus for us. We never leave home without Mickey.

It would be a dream come true for Keith to compete in this tournament, much less see all his buddies. He will have the time of his life! :)

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We're thinking about it seriously, especially since this is the 40th anniversary.

I remember reading that the hotel allows pets, which is a bonus for us. We never leave home without Mickey.

It would be a dream come true for Keith to compete in this tournament, much less see all his buddies. He will have the time of his life! :)

We want him to win....it was just a few years ago that he was on a roll!

Ken

Mikey Town

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Check your numbers Jay on Barry's contribution of the free entries for past champs. Something is wrong there.

16 free entries. Entries are $1000 each. That's $16000, which is included in the added money.

$75000 added money - $16000 in free entries = $59000 remaining.

His math looks pretty good to me...

TwinkleToes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Barry's speech afterward!

Glad all of the numbers seem to be working out, Jay. One thing all of us want to be the same though...Barry's speech after the tournament.

None of us wants to miss a speech where the man who should be the most respected person involved in the tournament, is in a drunken stupor and blathers on for 20 minutes, mindlessly talking about the things that amuse him but causes others to consider turning off their TV and missing the awards ceremony afterward.

I mean...after all, that has become a tradition!

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
16 free entries. Entries are $1000 each. That's $16000, which is included in the added money.

Hmm, I'm still not sure I understand what they're doing. Barry is giving free entries to 16, but they're counting the LACK of that $16000 as ADDED?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hmm, I'm still not sure I understand what they're doing. Barry is giving free entries to 16, but they're counting the LACK of that $16000 as ADDED?

Bottom line - a total of 128 entries at $1,000 each and $59,000 added makes the purse $187,000. Those will be the numbers with a full field.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member

The math is fine. This is a $59,000 added tournament though, not $75,000.

Added money is money over and above entry fees. Barry is using what "was" prize pool added money to give 16 players free rolls and that amounts to $16,000 of lost entry fees from the total prize pool.

It is up to Barry to decide to do it that way, but the "$75,000 added" thing is now BS. The 40th US Open in 2015 is now a $59,000 added tournament.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
If I read correctly?

Barry is PERSONALLY paying the players and NOT Pat Fleming!!!

A lot can happen, done this way!!!

Yes/no???

Kd

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bottom line - a total of 128 entries at $1,000 each and $59,000 added makes the purse $187,000. Those will be the numbers with a full field.

Is it optimism, delusion, or a paycheck that still makes you believe the field will be full?

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wouldn't it be great to have all the naysayers put on a tournament...everyone knows what should be done and they want someone else to do it.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Past pay outs?

Does this mean the past players that were owed money have all received their monies owed, I hope so. I don't understand how this Barry guy could put on another tournament if he still owes past players money.

I still believe we all need to pay our bills when they are due.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks for clarifying. I'm sure everyone is glad you're involved and wish you and the tournament the best.

But I think it's important to say that all of the statements about the U.S. Open refer to $75000 added and in the bank account. And that the agreement with the WPA is that $75000 be added. But in reality $59000 is going to be added. And then an additional $16000 is going to be missing from the prize pool.

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
confusing is right

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I wonder if this is the case:

Barry is supposed to come up with $75,000........59,000 goes to the prize fund.......16,000 goes to the entry fees for the past champions' entries......

If this is how it works, then the bottom line is that Barry DID add $75,000...just not all to the prize fund.........