US DPEN Time for a little Clarity

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are players in Europe who want to play in The US Open but they have yet to have a proper update which would allow them to know the FACTS about what is going on.

Correct me if I am wrong but somewhere in the mists of time I seemed to recall a fgure of $187,000 being mentioned as the total prize fund. That would consist of $75k added and $112K coming from the $1000 entry fees paid by 112 players.

This would leave room for Barry to accommodate his freebies and still pay out the advertised prize fund.

Now if that is the case why are the WPA calling it a SECOND TIER event. The criteria for FIRST TIER status requires $75k added money. Whereas SECOND TIER events are only required to add $50k.

So is the prize fund now made up of $112k + $50k making it $25k lighter than it was before. But even that is supposing that 112 players have already paid their entries..
Somehow I would find that hard to believe.

The basic costs of funding everything else to promote a tournament are high and I doubt that they could be covered by the gate.

So is there some big crock of gold from sponsors lying around somewhere.

I have a horrible feeling that some good people are going to get burned for placng their faith in this ramshackle vehicle. I think that the tournament will still take place but it will be a shadow of of what it promised to be earlier in the year.
Perhaps Pat Fleming could answer our concerns. Does he (at this very moment) have sufficient US Open money to pay out a prize fund. We can guess that the answer is NO. If that is the case then what does he have to reassure players from outside the USA that it is worthwhile coming for reduced prize money and reduced WPA Ranking Points. Tell us how it is Pat. I hate the smell of burning flesh.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Pat Fleming and Jay Helfert confirmed that $75,000 in added money has been posted in escrow. They also confirmed that each $1,000 entry fee would be put into escrow as well. Barry previously stated that he doesn't give free entries by omitting the entry fee into the prize pool. The entry fee is still handled by himself.

All of this sums up that, if the event fills up, the prize pool will be $75,000 added plus $128,000 in entry fees for a total of $203,000 in total prize pool.

Barry also stated he has to pay $3,750 to the WPA to sanction the event and unlike other promoters, he doesn't take this fee out of the prize pool.

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
If Barry is paying entries for anyone, that cannot be considered "added money" where the WPA is concerned. It's entry fees. That's why it's a second tier event.

What if only 6 of the 16 players, that Barry is covering, show up? Does he still add the money?

I do believe that the total payout is only if the field fills. They should clarify.

Ray

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's that saying? Fool me one, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

How many times will Barry have to fool everyone, before they just boycott the entire event?

John Novak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are players in Europe who want to play in The US Open but they have yet to have a proper update which would allow them to know the FACTS about what is going on.

Correct me if I am wrong but somewhere in the mists of time I seemed to recall a fgure of $187,000 being mentioned as the total prize fund. That would consist of $75k added and $112K coming from the $1000 entry fees paid by 112 players.

This would leave room for Barry to accommodate his freebies and still pay out the advertised prize fund.

Now if that is the case why are the WPA calling it a SECOND TIER event. The criteria for FIRST TIER status requires $75k added money. Whereas SECOND TIER events are only required to add $50k.

So is the prize fund now made up of $112k + $50k making it $25k lighter than it was before. But even that is supposing that 112 players have already paid their entries..
Somehow I would find that hard to believe.

The basic costs of funding everything else to promote a tournament are high and I doubt that they could be covered by the gate.

So is there some big crock of gold from sponsors lying around somewhere.

I have a horrible feeling that some good people are going to get burned for placng their faith in this ramshackle vehicle. I think that the tournament will still take place but it will be a shadow of of what it promised to be earlier in the year.
Perhaps Pat Fleming could answer our concerns. Does he (at this very moment) have sufficient US Open money to pay out a prize fund. We can guess that the answer is NO. If that is the case then what does he have to reassure players from outside the USA that it is worthwhile coming for reduced prize money and reduced WPA Ranking Points. Tell us how it is Pat. I hate the smell of burning flesh.

Maybe you should have read this back in July before you started this thread.. http://www.azbilliards.com/news/stories/12127-us-open-9-ball-championship-status-report/ Any questions regarding this report should be directed to Pat Fleming.
Phone: 973-838-7089
Email: patscue@yahoo.com

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe this is a dumb question, but wouldn't it be beneficial to the top pros that travel from Europe to have a small field?

With 75k added (minus Barry bogus math for past champions), that 75k will be distributed amongst fewer players.

Let's take it to an extreme and say only 32 players enter at 1k a pop. All the players could chop up the event and each profit.

cuedoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe you should have read this back in July before you started this thread.. http://www.azbilliards.com/news/stories/12127-us-open-9-ball-championship-status-report/ Any questions regarding this report should be directed to Pat Fleming.
Phone: 973-838-7089
Email: patscue@yahoo.com

You really expected pool players to be able to read:smile:. Its much easier to start a new thread and flame the open then to look for the us open update thread thats usually on the first page most days. The total payout has always been based on a full field not the gate. Rather than flame the open just stay the hell home so our usa players can split up the money.:D

Last edited:

Keith Jawahir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's that saying? Fool me one, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

How many times will Barry have to fool everyone, before they just boycott the entire event?

Never going to happen. No matter how many times Barry Wipes his ass with the "U.S. Open 9-Ball" title, they'll still hold on tight to their shit-stained tournament out of "sentimental value".

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Is the 75k added paid out even if only 50 players show up? All this crap would be easy for most 14 year olds to figure out if everything was on one press release and not given out like pulling teeth. What's so hard about making a flyer with all the facts on it and it does not get changed? No, Barry has to play smoke and mirrors every year. Johnnyt

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is the 75k added paid out even if only 50 players show up? All this crap would be easy for most 14 year olds to figure out if everything was on one press release and not given out like pulling teeth. What's so hard about making a flyer with all the facts on it and it does not get changed? No, Barry has to play smoke and mirrors every year. Johnnyt

$59,000 + 16 spots @ $1,000. = $75,000.

What if only 6 of the 16 show up?

Will he still add the money making it $75,000?

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
$59,000 + 16 spots @ $1,000. = $75,000.

What if only 6 of the 16 show up?

Will he still add the money making it $75,000?

Now I'm confused. The $75k added potentially includes free entries he is giving to past winners?

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to see the payout scale if theres only 75 players(about only 50ish paid entries).

I guarantee there will be a lot of drama and disappointed upset players following completion of the tournament.

Last edited:

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
That is what I understood.

Hilarious -- So I could have a $1,000 entry fee tournament and have everyone pay me under the table. Then state all the entry fees are free and I'm adding $128,000 to the prize pool and the WPA would declare it a Tier 1 event?

Is anything in pool on the up and up?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
You guys are funny and a little aggravating as well. Last time for this - There is $75,000 in added money going into the purse, regardless of how many players enter. This has nothing to do with the entry fee money. The free entries are just that - FREE! All paid entry money also goes into the purse. If all the freebies show up and we fill the field, the purse should be $188,000, with $40,000 on top.

We are doing our level best to make this a great event once again, so all the knocking is not appreciated. A little support for me and Pat would be nice to hear. We are the ones putting our necks out for the Open this year. If this doesn't work and the event flops, I don't look for their to be a 41st U.S.Open. Carry on

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
You guys are funny and a little aggravating as well. Last time for this - There is $75,000 in added money going into the purse, regardless of how many players enter. This has nothing to do with the entry fee money. The free entries are just that - FREE! All paid entry money also goes into the purse. If all the freebies show up and we fill the field, the purse should be $188,000, with $40,000 on top.

We are doing our level best to make this a great event once again, so all the knocking is not appreciated. A little support for me and Pat would be nice to hear. We are the ones putting our necks out for the Open this year. If this doesn't work and the event flops, I don't look for their to be a 41st U.S.Open. Carry on

Thanks for clarifying Jay.

I think most here genuinely wanted to know. Didn't get "knocking" from this thread. Will be a great event.

Ray

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member

I think the majority of people here,are behind you and Pat, Jay..... they just don't voice their opinions as much as the Boo-Hoo'rs. It's like a war zone on this site lately.

Seriously, I hope it works out, and thanks for stepping up.....Again.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay, This is the first we've heard the past champions are "free". Prior press releases, and I believe even statements from either you or Roberta in these threads, indicated that Barry raised 75 k, but that 16k from that 75k would be used for past champions.

Tgsts tge way it's been understood by us in the forums since the very beginning.