American Players

irock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are SVB and MD playing in the World 9 Ball Championships, I cant find them.

bral

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes they are. They don't have to go through qualifiers, they'll start in stage 2 play. I believe that gets underway on Saturday.

Stage 2 entry list from WPA World 9-ball championship Facebook page:

1502217_505242836307942_3083452328270567457_o.jpg

Last edited:

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
Americans

I can't seem to understand why Bergman or Hall or any other American can't afford to play in Qatar, but a million unknowns from a third world country can afford to play in the Qualifiers.

irock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
kris, yes it is a shame they can't be there, I think they would do well by what I have seen.

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't seem to understand why Bergman or Hall or any other American can't afford to play in Qatar, but a million unknowns from a third world country can afford to play in the Qualifiers.
A lot of those guys (pretty close to 64) will be playing in the World Cup of Pool a few days after this tournament is over (starting on the 22nd). Each player that plays in the World Cup of Pool is guaranteed minimum payout of $1,812.50 (that's for getting knocked out of the first match). I'm sure that a lot of them will use the WCoP money to fund their participation in W9BC.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
None of the guys playing in he qualifers will play in the World Cup. The Qualifers are mostly no name players.. I imagine the players from Taiwan might be sponsored by their county, but not the players from the Philippines. Not sure why Efren and Busty is not in the tournament. Unless they didnt get automatic acceptance in the final 128 field.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They could be there..,

kris, yes it is a shame they can't be there, I think they would do well by what I have seen.

If they can get people to back them for 5K and 10K to gamble I'm sure that they could get sponsored to make a trip over seas.

Kris_b1104

Silver Member
If they can get people to back them for 5K and 10K to gamble I'm sure that they could get sponsored to make a trip over seas.

Exactly. Seems like it's harder to get backers for a tournament as apposed to gambling 1 on 1?

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish they would, but to be fair the vast majority of people in the qualifiers are from nearby in the region. Bergman would need to spend two weeks there grinding through the qualifiers before even getting to the stage two 128. Odds are against him, given the number of matches he'd have to play, and it would cost thousands of dollars to fly and stay for that length of time.

And realistically, who wants to stay in Qatar for two weeks? I get why they're not there.

Kris_b1104

Silver Member
I wish they would, but to be fair the vast majority of people in the qualifiers are from nearby in the region. Bergman would need to spend two weeks there grinding through the qualifiers before even getting to the stage two 128. Odds are against him, given the number of matches he'd have to play, and it would cost thousands of dollars to fly and stay for that length of time.

And realistically, who wants to stay in Qatar for two weeks? I get why they're not there.

Everyone else all around the world seems to be able to do it just fine. Ignacio had to fly there and go through qualifiers and stay there for two weeks, and he's from a third world country. All I see are excuses for our fellow Americans.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everyone else all around the world seems to be able to do it just fine. Ignacio had to fly there and go through qualifiers and stay there for two weeks, and he's from a third world country. All I see are excuses for our fellow Americans.

Jeff Ignacio and a handful of others is not "everyone else all around the world." Look through the qualifiers and you see mostly Middle East. Most Euro and Asian contenders are already in Stage 2.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What?

I

You clearly haven't been there, because if you had you wouldn't mind being there for two weeks. It aint Monaco or Miami, but it aint bad, for two young pool players, it would be fun...,

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm finding $700 flights from the east coast of the US to Doha and $50/night airbnb... it could have been doable on a budget.

2strong4u

Banned

Qualifier locals look pretty weak.

I did see Fong Pang Chow on the livestream today. You may remember him on ESPN Challenge of Champions. He was running out easy.

Great looking venue. Livestream covers all 12 tables, just click the one you want to watch. Has live score updating. It puts any other coverage to shame from what I saw today.

Kris_b1104

Silver Member
Jeff Ignacio and a handful of others is not "everyone else all around the world." Look through the qualifiers and you see mostly Middle East. Most Euro and Asian contenders are already in Stage 2.

And you keep dodging my original question. If a handful of players from a third world country such as Philippines are able to afford to compete, why can't two Americans?

Kris_b1104

Silver Member
Qualifier locals look pretty weak.

I did see Fong Pang Chow on the livestream today. You may remember him on ESPN Challenge of Champions. He was running out easy.

Great looking venue. Livestream covers all 12 tables, just click the one you want to watch. Has live score updating. It puts any other coverage to shame from what I saw today.

Last year it was said that the qualifiers were actually the toughest part of the competition. If it's so easy, then it's even more reason for Bergman and Hall to venture and try to compete.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And you keep dodging my original question. If a handful of players from a third world country such as Philippines are able to afford to compete, why can't two Americans?

I'm sure more Americans like Hunter Lombardo could go. But you said that you don't understand why they don't. I think it's pretty understandable, given the (high) cost and (low) likelihood of reward. I'm with you that I wish they would make a showing. But it ain't my money.

irock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is the World Championship always there, if so, it seems like it should be in a different country each year to make it fair.