The Ultimate Pool Challenge Game

sammspocket

Samm D. Vidal
Gold Member
Silver Member
This link is to the review on PoolDawg.com.
ipupc185x90-18865.jpg

Purpose
The Ultimate Pool Challenge Game is designed as a fun, convenient way to improve your pool game by testing your skills with various shots. Each shot is illustrated on one of 52 playing cards. Each card is associated with a point value of 5, 10, 20, or 25 points based on the difficulty level, and two wild cards (which earn a player an extra shot if drawn). The point system and card designs appear to be very well thought out. Each card is also associated with an actual playing card value so if you wanted, I suppose you could even play some hands of poker or blackjack with these cards.

User-friendly
The instructions read: “shuffle, draw, and shoot.” I would consider that very user-friendly. The cards themselves are extremely easy to follow and the cue ball paths are illustrated very clearly.

Comparison
I am not aware of any other product like this on the market. It’s unique and becoming quite a popular learning tool.

Level
Intermediate to Advanced, I wouldn’t recommend this product for complete beginners.

Appearance
I love the packaging and the concept of a deck of cards! Each individual card is beautifully printed with full bleed with very clear illustrations on the table layout. Players can keep these cards in their pool case and take them anywhere.

Price / Value
Retail price: $24.95

PoolDawg price: $19.95

$19.95 for a deck of cards could be considered pricy, but we’ve all spent that much on a tip tool or an instructional book. You get a lot of bang for your buck here since you can conveniently take this handy deck of cards with you anywhere.

Gripes
The only possible gripe I could even think of would be that they don’t tell you how to shoot the shots. However, this is also a bonus. For many of the 20pt and 25pt shots, you’re required to play 2-3 rail position after pocketing a ball. They don’t explain where you should be aiming, what speed to use, etc. This could be a negative to some lower-level players, but again, I do not recommend this product for beginner players and I believe they will appreciate that they need to figure this stuff out on their own without someone else giving away all the secrets. I’m sure that was also the creator’s intentions.

Rating (based on a possible 4 paws)
I give this product 3 ½ paws!

Last edited by a moderator:

cuejunkie

"In the Shadows"
Silver Member
Fun Game

Purpose: Have fun. Alternative to just practicing drills
User-friendly? Diagrams and instructions were easy to follow. Track lines and ball paths were helpful.
Comparison? Friend of mine recently picked this up in Valley Forge, but I'm sure there has to be another Card/Pool game
Level? Since there are various levels of difficulty, there is something for all skill levels
Appearance? Good production quality. Very clean look.
Price / Value? Friend bought it, so it was FREE to me =)
Rating? Umm... 4 paws, I guess
Gripes? Need more time to review product before making any suggestions to improve upon
Overall? If you like playing pool and are looking for another way to have fun doing it, why not buy it?

Thanks for posting this product,
-Marlo

Clark_the_Shark

Has 9-Ball-itis
Silver Member
I have this set. Overall it's fun. The only complaint that I have with it is if you have a 3 or 4 ball setup worth 25 points (a lot in this game), and you run all the balls but one, the next player up gets just has to make the ball left in any pocket and he gets all 25 points. It would be somewhat better if the rules were that you had to set up the shot again for the next player. Also, it does take a little while to put the balls exactly where the cards say, you have to keep checking back to make sure you put them on the correct diamonds.

cuejunkie

"In the Shadows"
Silver Member
Clark has brought up a valid point.

While I didn't mind the time it took to properly set-up the shot as diagrammed,
I did mind however, that my opponent did not have to complete the entire challenge in order to win the points listed on the card being played.

Almost felt like when someone wins by SLOP. Imo, not a very rewarding way to win or lose.

Overall, I still very much enjoyed playing this game as I viewed it as a more interesting & fun way to practice various skills.

stljohnny

knowledge > execution. :(
Silver Member
I have this as well, and can absolutely validate the frustration for giving away so many points... but that's kinda the point. Each card is like playing the ghost... if you miss, you lose.

Ttwill

I don’t know. I’m trying to find a way how to improve my pool skills. On one hand these cards can be quite good, because they let you practise shot set-ups which you don’t get in every game, so you’re better prepared. However, I can imagine it must be a bit of a pain to set every single one up, and I’m not sure how easy it is to do that (how well you can see it from the picture).

Also, I don’t understand how one can play blackjack or poker with these cards??