Another One Bites the Dust

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Hi,

Another one bites the dust. Pool Hall that is!

10 years ago I opened Main Street Billiards in Algonquin, Ill. in an 11,000 sq. ft. free standing building.

Last night at 11:57 PM I turned the key and locked the door for the last time due to issues with the landlord and a breakdown of the lease contract negotiations at the eleventh hour.

10 years ago I also started doing cue repair at the Pool Hall for my customers. 9 years ago I built my first cue and became a person completely addicted to the art of cue making. So as they say, "When God closes one door, he opens another. This has surly been the fact in my case as today I am a full time cue maker. Never saw that one coming.

During our run, I have had a wonderful experience and made many friendships with great people who shared the passion for pool and 3 Cushion Billiards. To all of these wonderful friends I say, thanks for sharing bits of your time at Main Street and because of you we had a very cool clubhouse for adults and spent time together "Enjoying the Sporting Life" as was our company's simple mission statement.

Also and most important, I would like to thank two very special people, Joyce and Mike Forcier my original APA league operators who without their panache and talent to create and bring people together whereby all of the 60 APA teams made a family. Friends are family that you choose. It was because of Mike and Joyce that my business was so successful for 7 out of 10 of those years. My real family thanks them for being our successful business partners who created the magic of having fun playing league pool.

So farewell to Main Street Billiards Cafe, Inc., you will be surly missed.

Rest In Peace!!!

Rick Geschrey

PS. Thanks to my son Tommy who at 23 years old took over complete management of the hall for the last few years to help his old man to focus on his new career, Cue Making. Now Tom its time for you to get that last year of college completed. As a father I know my kid learned more running that business on his own without my presence than 75 % of his college credit hours under his belt. The only way to get business experience is to put your feet in the fire and he did just that.

So long Main Street Billiards Cafe, you will be missed!

Last edited:

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to see it close. For anyone that dosen't know Rick, he's a a great guy.

Last edited:

speedi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cues

So how do we get information on your custom cues? Website? Name of cue?
Price range? Difference between your cues and the hundreds of other 'custom' makers?

Thanks.

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
Rick and I have something in common: We're BOTH Machinists. Rick does wood; I do metal. The fundamentals are still the same. He is building a cue for me, and one of the reasons I chose him is because of his depth of knowledge with machinery.

Rick also likes pool, and has a passion for making pool cues. Even if you don't know him, you can see it in his posts here on AZ. He has a few original ideas that go "over and above" concerning cue-making. I'm quite confident in Rick's ability, and can't wait to get a-hold of the custom he is building for me.

Rick,........... I hope you don't mind my posting this here. Keep doing what you are doing,... You'll be fine !

I'm no professional pool-player, but I'll post a review of what this "tantric Machinist" thinks about how my custom plays.
Jay

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi,

Another one bites the dust. Pool Hall that is!

10 years ago I opened Main Street Billiards in Algonquin, Ill. in an 11,000 sq. ft. free standing building.

Last night at 11:57 PM I turned the key and locked the door for the last time due to issues with the landlord and a breakdown of the lease contract negotiations at the eleventh hour.

10 years ago I also started doing cue repair at the Pool Hall for my customers. 9 years ago I built my first cue and became a person completely addicted to the art of cue making. So as they say, "When God closes one door, he opens another. This has surly been the fact in my case as today I am a full time cue maker. Never saw that one coming.

During our run, I have had a wonderful experience and made many friendships with great people who shared the passion for pool and 3 Cushion Billiards. To all of these wonderful friends I say, thanks for sharing bits of your time at Main Street and because of you we had a very cool clubhouse for adults and spent time together "Enjoying the Sporting Life" as was our company's simple mission statement.

Also and most important, I would like to thank two very special people, Joyce and Mike Forcier my original APA league operators who without their panache and talent to create and bring people together whereby all of the 60 APA teams made a family. Friends are family that you choose. It was because of Mike and Joyce that my business was so successful for 7 out of 10 of those years. My real family thanks them for being our successful business partners who created the magic of having fun playing league pool.

So farewell to Main Street Billiards Cafe, Inc., you will be surly missed.

Rest In Peace!!!

Rick Geschrey

PS. Thanks to my son Tommy who at 23 years old took over complete management of the hall for the last few years to help his old man to focus on his new career, Cue Making. Now Tom its time for you to get that last year of college completed. As a father I know my kid learned more running that business on his own without my presence than 75 % of his college credit hours under his belt. The only way to get business experience is to put your feet in the fire and he did just that.

So long Main Street Billiards Cafe, you will be missed!

Sorry you couldn't get things to work out.

What gets me is that the place will set idle and the landlord will wish you were back.

Keep moving forward. Best of rolls.

Ken

Jim Baxter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good Luck Ric , I know you really wont need it , you work is as good as anyones .

I was forced into retirement 2 yrs ago . my wifes health just wouldn't let me be gone as a long haul trucker , and I was only gone 3-4 days , and only made 2 trips per month . J/ps and a few cues , keep me going , tough but its working . Again , GL Ric. Jim

AvidDavid262

Registered
Thats sucks sorry to hear that. I know the feeling. Its like a sucker punch in the chest when you have put that much work into a business and then a landlord gets greedy. Best of luck man.