Predator Revo 12.4mm

Marky Mark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just like the feel and control of hard tips, regardless of shaft. I actually tried a medium tip on the Revo as predator says themselves that most players prefer a grade softer tip on the shaft but it just doesnt feel right for me. Cut it off and put on another Hard on it and all is well again :smile:

Thanks for the reply.

I am not a fan of the soft tip that comes with the Revo so I will have it changed. I might try the Zan Grip Hard to change it up. I've always played with medium tips so it will be interesting to see how a hard tip will feel & play especially on a stiff shaft like the Revo.

Btw, how hard do you break with your Revo? Any signs of deformation on the Zan?

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the reply.

I am not a fan of the soft tip that comes with the Revo so I will have it changed. I might try the Zan Grip Hard to change it up. I've always played with medium tips so it will be interesting to see how a hard tip will feel & play especially on a stiff shaft like the Revo.

Btw, how hard do you break with your Revo? Any signs of deformation on the Zan?

My 8 ball break speed is around 30-31km/h (18-19mph) measured with Break speed app so it isn't really a monster break but around average I suppose :) And the Zan hard tips hold up to the beating pretty well, I havent had to trim any of them for mushrooming and I keep the radius in check by scuffing before playing with a Last4ever tip tool. Pretty easy on maintenance as are most hard laminated tips :)
I am still undecided on wether or not I should transition over to playing full time with the revo or should I stick with the 314. There are certain aspects that I absolutely love about the shaft but is a little too LD for what my mind expects from the shaft, causing some unforced errors in certain types of shots. Time will tell and I will have to do some serious testing between the two by doing various drills before making up my mind. If I decide to go back to the 314 the Revo will become my break shaft for sure. I spent a few hours breaking with the Revo and the BK one after the other and I have noticeably better results breaking with the revo, less lost cue balls and more open tables left on with a ball down on the break.

I'll keep this thread updated after I come to a conclusion on what I end up playing with and why :eek:

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I ended up with some credit from Seybert's after my purchase so I got the box of wipes, some tips tool replacements, towel & 1 Zan Hybrid Max to try. Will give the victory a go 1st & if I don't like it will try the Zan. Also got the qr extension so I won't have to use a bridge.

Marky Mark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My 8 ball break speed is around 30-31km/h (18-19mph) measured with Break speed app so it isn't really a monster break but around average I suppose :) And the Zan hard tips hold up to the beating pretty well, I havent had to trim any of them for mushrooming and I keep the radius in check by scuffing before playing with a Last4ever tip tool. Pretty easy on maintenance as are most hard laminated tips :)
I am still undecided on wether or not I should transition over to playing full time with the revo or should I stick with the 314. There are certain aspects that I absolutely love about the shaft but is a little too LD for what my mind expects from the shaft, causing some unforced errors in certain types of shots. Time will tell and I will have to do some serious testing between the two by doing various drills before making up my mind. If I decide to go back to the 314 the Revo will become my break shaft for sure. I spent a few hours breaking with the Revo and the BK one after the other and I have noticeably better results breaking with the revo, less lost cue balls and more open tables left on with a ball down on the break.

I'll keep this thread updated after I come to a conclusion on what I end up playing with and why :eek:

Looking forward to what you decide to go with & why.

Thank you.

Marky Mark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ended up with some credit from Seybert's after my purchase so I got the box of wipes, some tips tool replacements, towel & 1 Zan Hybrid Max to try. Will give the victory a go 1st & if I don't like it will try the Zan. Also got the qr extension so I won't have to use a bridge.

Care to share how you got the freebies?

Yes the extension is a must have. I don't keep mine on but it beats using the bridge when it's needed.

I recently bought the Predator weight kit and I think it's an awesome piece of equipment as you can stack the weights in different ways. I believe this changes the balance of the cue - either rear or forward weighted.

Last edited:

gregnice37

Silver Member
Care to share how you got the freebies?

Yes the extension is a must have. I don't keep mine on but it beats using the bridge when it's needed.

I recently bought the Predator weight kit and I think it's an awesome piece of equipment as you can stack the weights in different ways. I believe this changes the balance of the cue - either rear or forward weighted.

Seyberts gives you 5% in store credit for purchases. Think that's what it works out too.

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After doing extensive testing with drills & keeping score over long matches against myself playing with two different cues, I seem to play a little better with the old 314, I just cant wrap my head around the Revo on shots that require a lot of "touch" or feel for speed control and that leads to better performance with a maple shaft. The difference is not massive but enough that I dont feel comfortable changing to a carbon shaft full time.
A shame in a way as I do like the way Revo feels on most shots and I love the fact that it is so easy to keep pristine. I have now ventured in to making the Revo my break shaft with some early succes. I am currently waiting for a shipment from Taom tips and will give one last update here in this thread when I have a Taom on the Revo and get some practice with it but here is my initial thoughts on using a Revo for breaking.

What I like the most about Revo as a break shaft is its energy transfer, stiffness and extremely low deflection compared to a stock BK2 shaft. It is more forgiving on off center hits and even if I hit the CB a little to the side I still get a pretty good head on hit with the rack. I have a White Diamond on it at the moment but it doesnt have quite as much grip as I am accustomed to coming from long time use of Taoms & Cell BK tips. Therefore I am now constantly leaving the CB a little higher up table rather than center where I am trying to stay. I have a gut feeling that the tip change will make the difference on controlling the CB better but only real life testing will provide a solid answer.
I shot a video of the very first breakshots with the Revo with a break tip, a link can be found below. No warmup or practice was done prior to shooting the video below and it includes a few lost cue balls and dry breaks too as I tend to have those occasionally. I am no SVB, there is no question about that :p
I like breaking 8 and 10 ball from near center with medium speed, it seems to work the best for me on a small table. Hitting harder results in poor accuracy for me and the spread is more than enough even with my current break speed to open up the table. For 9 ball I still prefer soft breaking with my playing cue. Easier, more predictable layouts that way than breaking with a break cue with more force but I shot a couple racks of nineball with the Revo for curiositys sake.

For those interested; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDZT6ywCXHY

gregnice37

Silver Member
Dude, love your table & your pool room. Sorry to hear you're not going to shoot with the revo as a regular shaft as I have been loving mine so far. However, your break looks like it's working really good with the shaft with barely any effort. Haven't attempted to break with mine yet as I've kept the stock victory soft on so far.

kempf80

Registered
Thanks Kimmo for your extensive testing and posting. I've been curious about the Revo myself even though I'll never buy a low deflection shaft for myself. Hope to read more soon.

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Final update and thoughts on the Revo.

At last I got the Taom tips in to try on the Revo to see how it fares purely as a break shaft. I installed an orange Taom on it and here is a poor quality photo fresh of the lathe:

EA2PmTr.jpg

I had high hopes for the combo as Taoms have always worked pretty well with my breaking style and to have one on a powerful shaft like a Revo seemed like a dream come true. Turns out that it wasn't. On the very first break shot with the new tip I was disappointed the second the tip contacted the CB. The sound that the combo makes with a powerful break is ear-shattering. A high pitch, obnoxiously loud *tink* came out and the vibrations on the butt end were uncomfortable to say the least. It did however result in a powerful break with decent control but the sound made it unbearable for long time use. I tried to get used to it and practiced breaking for some time but I was constantly hitting it softer to avoid the noise, resulting in varying spread and inconsistent break.
Part reason for the sound being as big of a distraction as it was is the fact that my home room is relatively small and enclosed with pale walls resulting in poor acoustics in the room. That however does not change the fact that the feel of hit was just as hard as the sound was loud. I ended up cutting the tip off to save my nerves and put on a leather playing tip that clearly belongs there. The playability & feel came right back but it is evidently clear that the standard version of Revo is not perfect for a break shaft. Can't really blame Predator for that, it is meant to be played with and they have a disclaimer on their website that states that many players like a grade softer tip on a Revo shaft.

This did however result in a bit of a dilemma for myself. As a working man I can't afford to have too much toys around and the Revo ended up being just that for me in the end, a toy. I like it but I don't gain much from it as I play better with a maple shaft being a feel player and I didn't get the expected results with it as a break shaft. I had to list it for sale and quickly got it sold when the price was right.

Final conclusion.

The revo is a breeze of fresh air in the pool world and a welcome addition to the current scene. It has it advantages and some players will without a doubt find it as their shaft of choice. It performs well, with very little cue ball deflection and the power transfer is just amazing. It can be a smart choice to start playing with if you are new to the game or for an experienced player that can adjust easily to equipment.
It is not perfect though. The transition from a long time use of maple shaft can be gruesome if you are used to playing by feel and have developed an understanding of what happens when you cut a ball with certain spin. I found certain types of shots where I was totally lost with the Revo shaft and the cue ball came off in a different angle than I was expecting and what I am used to seeing. If I had to guess the reason behind the unexpected behaviour to what I am accustomed to I would go with the lack of flexibility in the shaft. The rigidness is a factor that I initially liked a lot in the shaft as it gives me confidence hitting shots from difficult positions, for example from the rail or over a ball. The downside with the rigid and extremely low squirt is that I was not able to get totally dialed in and used to the shafts playability. Hard to explain what was off but clearly there is a difference in playability between a carbon shaft and a maple shaft. Opinions may vary and the above is very likely related to every individuals personal stroke.
Another dowside to a carbon shaft is the fact that their taper can't be altered in any way. I would have liked a slightly longer pro taper on the shaft. As with everything there is another side to this; The shafts taper will never change in use so the shaft will feel the same after years of use if it is not damaged externally in other ways. I dont personally believe the shaft is quite as tough as it has been led out to be. I had mine for only a couple of weeks and I somehow managed to make a mark on the shaft, a small ding of sort. Not structually meaningful but still. I take pretty good care of my stuff and still I ended up with a mark like this:
8vBA0eb.png

I am not disappointed though, I have very likely caused that mark myself by accidentally hitting it on a table corner or something similiar :eek: Wouldn't feel comfortable hitting it against anything as many have demonstrated though.

And what did I get from this experiment with the Revo? Yes, obviously I suffered a financial loss trying it out by buying one new but in my opinion it was well worth the price. The shaft is revolutionary in its own, not quite for me but I thoroughly enjoyed my time experimenting with it. I did not end up owning one for long but I totally understand those who like their revos better than anything. I just prefer the feel and acoustics of maple better along with my tendency to tinker with my shafts. I can't tinker with a Revo as it is what it is and it stays that way :)

This is the last of my review posts on the shaft, feel free to ask me anything here in this thread or by private message if you so prefer :)

- Kimmo

Last edited:

Marky Mark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the awesome write-up Kimmo! Now curious to see what the new BK will be - it does not seem like it's just a Revo shaft with a break tip on it.

playonepocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kimmo,

A little off topic - but after watching your video, I noticed that your rail assembly is on backwards. The nameplate goes at the head of the table. :rolleyes:

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, thanks for noticing :grin:

The table was assembled and set up by the only authorized Diamond dealer in the country so it likely doesn't matter much wich way they are on :rolleyes: Still a bit of an oversight by the installer if they are supposed to be installed in a certain way :frown:

To continue with the OT, I have changed my break cue to a Mezz Kai with decent results. Breaking better than in a long time now, I'll shoot some video this weekend if I have the time and write up a little about it on a new thread :smile:

mister__p

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kimmo, I also think the strength of the shaft has been overstated. Carbon fibre is weak when localised/pointwise stress is applied and also has a tendency to fracture particularly if there are manufacturing defects or defects from wear and tear. I am alarmed that you did not even know when your shaft had been damaged.

I also tried a Revo for 3 weeks but gave mine back. It's a novel product but I don't think carbon-tech has a place in pool/snooker where skill determines the result rather than technology. As my old snooker mentor used to tell me, we should all avoid using english and should get perfect position using natural angles, top spin & draw. And if one needs to draw the ball better, they should work on their stroke. All this is in contrast to the marketing of certain companies which seemingly encourage using english by introducing LD shafts and telling us we can help improve our game. Understanding the physics and lots of practise is what it takes.