McDermott I2 and G-Core shafts

jgobigred

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I havent found any reviews on the McDermott I2 and G-core shafts, with the warranty i find these very appealing but would like to see what the AZB community has to say about them. Anyone tried them?

Card Slinger

Registered
I own an I2, it's what I use when I'm serious.

I love the Moori medium tip that it came with, seems like a perfect combination.

It seems light to me. Some people probably will say they don't like the balance that it gives them.

It won't fix an inconsistent stroke, or poor fundamentals, but it helps me control the ball slightly better than my cues with maple shafts. At first I had to keep reminding myself not to shoot too hard to try get extreme english on my shots.

I would recommend it if your fundamentals are sound.

Lou Bones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just bought a McDermott G208 with a G-core shaft and I totally love it. The hit feels soft and fluid. I like the feedback I get from the hit. It comes with a Tiger Everest tip and I've used those on other cues and love them. It has a little less deflection than a traditional solid shaft, but the difference is not dramatic. Until tonight, I was thinking it is the best cue I've ever owned.

Tonight, I discovered a six inch crack in the shaft. I have no clue how it got there. So I'm calling the store I bought the cue from first thing tomorrow. I've never seen anything like that before on any shaft, ever. I'm hoping it is just some flaw with this one and that they replace it and I never have another issue with their shafts. I played a few practice games with it tonight, after I discovered the crack and it still hits better than any cue I've ever owned. So I really like the g-core shaft. But I'm fairly upset that there is a crack in it. I've only owned the cue for two weeks!

Not sure if this is helpful to you, but I just thought I'd respond since you're looking for comments from people who own either of these shafts.

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have both shafts.....

the i2 has a long comfortable taper, and hits pretty solid. given the taper, the shaft isn't whippy due to the graphite core. the shaft is on the lighter side, which might throw off your cue weight and balance. without an insert they normally weigh around 3.3-3.4oz. this shaft does deflect quite a lot though, more than most standard maple shafts. the design carries quite a bit of weight in the front end causing a fair amount of deflection.

the g-core has a stiffer taper than i2 and deflects a little less, about the same as your standard maple shaft. the weight on average is heavier than the i2, but they vary quite a lot depending on the wood. it does have a red fiber ring between the ferrule and shaft, which i suppose could be distracting to some.

depending on the tip you use and the butt, the graphite in these shafts can sometimes make a ping sound. overall, the i2 has a crisper hit, the g-core slightly quieter. probably due to the ferrule material...i2 has a linen based hard material, g-core is juma and also has 2 pads.

if you are used to a standard deflection shaft, both are decent choices, though I find the deflection on the i2 kind of high. i like the crisp hit of the i2 though better than the g-core.

everyone has different tastes though, so i'm sure you'll find other opinions too

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
I just bought a McDermott G208 with a G-core shaft and I totally love it. The hit feels soft and fluid. I like the feedback I get from the hit. It comes with a Tiger Everest tip and I've used those on other cues and love them. It has a little less deflection than a traditional solid shaft, but the difference is not dramatic. Until tonight, I was thinking it is the best cue I've ever owned.

Tonight, I discovered a six inch crack in the shaft. I have no clue how it got there. So I'm calling the store I bought the cue from first thing tomorrow. I've never seen anything like that before on any shaft, ever. I'm hoping it is just some flaw with this one and that they replace it and I never have another issue with their shafts. I played a few practice games with it tonight, after I discovered the crack and it still hits better than any cue I've ever owned. So I really like the g-core shaft. But I'm fairly upset that there is a crack in it. I've only owned the cue for two weeks!

Not sure if this is helpful to you, but I just thought I'd respond since you're looking for comments from people who own either of these shafts.

Contact McDermott directly, talk to Jayme. They will cover it under warranty. McDermott has excellent customer service and in my experience they stand behind their product.

I love my I2 shafts...

:cool:

ArizonaPete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I shoot with a Schon CX-06 with a McDermott I-3 shaft. Just a great combination. The 11.75mm tip diameter allows me to strike the cue ball with geometric precision. I've been playing with this shaft for almost 3 years now. I bought it used here on the Forum. I've taken advantage of McDermott's Maintenance Agreement and have sent it the shaft for a shaft cleaning, reseal and a new Moori tip. There's no charge but there is a $21 shipping and handling fee. I also have a McDermott I-2 shaft that I also purchased used here on this Forum about a year before I bought the I-3. I was very happy with the performance and feel of the I-2. I'veborrowed my friend's OB-2 shaft and played with it for a week. I did not see any difference in performance in comparison to the I-3. I did find the maple ferrule on the OB-2 to be distracting to me. Once, I sent in both the I-2 and the I-3 in for maintenance. The fee was only $21 for both - which breaks down to about $10/shaft. You just can't beat that. I haven't played with the G shaft, but from various reviews I gather that the I series is just a little better. Good luck in your quest for the perfect shaft.

MCP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mecdermott g core shaft.

Nice medium to solid hit. I purchased a G core shaft about a year ago and put it on a old Orchid USA. Like any piece of equipment it needs taking care of so I keep the shaft clean and the tip sharp. I beleive the G core has a red line on the tip that indicates when the tip may be wearing out ..
overall the G core is a good playing shaft.

MCP

swisslife77

....let me play....
Silver Member
Well, I'd tried both, and still own my i2.
But I'm used to play my 314 and after a month or so, I'd sticked back to that!!

Probably cause my poor foundamentals, I've found the i2 less "predictable" when coming to deflection (side spin or english), so indeed a good product, but IMHO predator 314 is better.
:)
But considering it comes with the cue as standard set-up, I raise my hat at McDermott!!!

PS: this is my 3rd McD! ;-) love-it!