Table rent / ball set DEPOSITS?

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What does your room or those you know of do regarding renting pool tables by the hour with a set of balls when a person walks in off the street. General play. Not league. Not a "regular".

Do you hold a credit card?

Driver' license?

Nothing.

Does it depend on the table or the balls they use or the person asking for the table?

How do you handle damaged tables or balls - or a missing ball?

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
The usual procedure around here seems to be holding a drivers license. I've never come up short on the balls so I can't really say what would take place.

NoStrokeAtAll

Registered
The room I used to manage was a Mom and Pop place that just handed out balls. It's too easy to just say a drivers license was lost or stolen. Never had a ball lost or stolen and walk outs were maybe 2 in 11 years.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a room owner.... But out of the dozen's of room's I've been to, I think only 2 required a license. I hated it. One time I even forgot to get my license back and was driving around without it. Total pain in the ass from a customer's perspective. IMO.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
i tell the owner how would he like it if he went in a restaurant and they asked to hold his id in case he decided to steal a fork or run out.

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
There's a room I used to frequent that changed its name & owner supposedly but never changed the sign with the old name & has a new policy that they wanted a credit card. I offered to pay up front & they still wanted a credit card. I found a new room.

I don't like to use a credit card for anything except plane tickets, rent a car or hotels & I don't like leaving my card and its info at a counter all day to have someone perhaps purloin the info to misuse, a ridiculous request IMO.

tikkler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey

Over here on Long Island, we explain the table time and hand them the balls. Never any request for anything up front. We have had a few sneak out in the last two years, amounting to a few dollars.

We are trying extremely hard to lose the image of an old pool room....and change to a place that you can relax, bring kids or bring a date.
A good example is getting away from the dingy, cluttered and filthy bathroom scenario of the old poolrooms.

So far things are looking very well........good luck guys

Steve

Kevin3824

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a local bowling alley here that requires a license before they will give you balls or a table or any cues. plus they charge more per hour then the actual pool hall does. They have about a dozen GC2s with worn out cloth (actually holes) and large felt fuzz bumps. Personally I resented it to a point I don't go there anymore as my home table may be smaller but my personal equipment is much higher quality and better maintained as well. It saves me a lot of money that way. There is a local pool hall I go to occaisionally that simply hands me balls and tells me what table.