Two Piece Cue Stuck at Joint

FranktheTank

Registered
This is kind of embarrassing.

I ordered a two piece cue off a website. Nothing fancy, just a 90ish dollar Scorpion regular playing cue. After shooting 2 sessions with it, I could not return it into a 2 piece state. The shaft and butt have become stuck. What do I do now?

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
Can you get any separation at the joint? If yes, use a drop of penetrating oil one the pin and turn the cue tip down for an hour and then try to unscrew it.

If no, have someone turn the shaft and another turn the butt. Be careful to keep the cue in line as to not bend the pin or break the cue. My guess is that once you get it to separate just a little, it should then unscrew like normal.

SKUNKBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometimes a good hard 'rap' with you hand on the side of the joint will loosen it up a bit. Don't hit it so hard that the cue snaps in half, but a good firm smack might work. Works for me more often than not.

L8R...Ken

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
Sometimes a good hard 'rap' with you hand on the side of the joint will loosen it up a bit. Don't hit it so hard that the cue snaps in half, but a good firm smack might work. Works for me more often than not.

L8R...Ken

After I made my post, I thought of this as well. Tapping it with the butt of your palm about 6" up from the joint and then quickly try to snap the joint loose may also do the trick. Again, be careful.

pooln8r

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend of mine had a cue that used to lock up at the joint. I suggested he try to use a bottle opening silicon rubber cloth like you can get at a supermarket. He cut it in half and used one part on the butt and one on the shaft. That silicone sheet multiplied the gripping force used to take the cue apart when the joint would lock up. To prevent it from locking up he used stuff like a dot or two of PAM spray or petroleum jelly on the joint pin and shaft threads. I'm not sure if pam or petroleum jelly are the best methods for preventing that lockup again without hurting the wood in the cue. I think I remember reading on here about using a bit of bar soap on the joint to keep it from locking up like that again.

tattoo

Tatuaje in the house🤘🏻
Silver Member
alittle candle wax on the joint pin might help also......just a thought....

FranktheTank

Registered
Hey guys, thanks for the help. I tried slapping it and didn't work. There was zero separation so I can't get any oil in there. I fired up google, found a professional cuemaker in my area. He told me there was no need to bring it in and I should just put on rubber gloves, brute force it, and if need be, get someone else to help. Snapped it loose and he told me dabbing some oil on the joint pin would prevent it from getting stuck in the future. He said even olive oil would work and petroleum jelly like Vaseline is not going to harm the wood in the cue. Finally have a 2 piece cue again.

Kossmo

tight joint

rub some Burt's Bees Hand Salve on the pin. It is all organic and will work like a charm.

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have the same problem with cue that has a phenolic insert. Hard part of the day is putting the cue together--24 twists with the last 5 really hard. Taking it apart is even harder. I make sure one of the guys at the clubhouse hang around until I can get it started in case I need help. Keep waiting for it to loosen up but doesn't seem to get any easier. Good thing is that my forearms are starting to look like Popeye's.