2006 World 14.1 Vids

sausage

Banned
i watched all of them except for the semifinals between eberle and hohmann. there is some outstanding play especially by hohmann but there were more than a few times when i didn't care for the shot selection of the players. once such shot comes to mind in the semifinals, eberle vs hohmann. eberle fails to draw the cue back far enough but instead of taking the 10ball into the corner, he goes for the 9ball on the long rail and hits it to thin. i mean with all of their experience, that shot, -to me anyway- seemed a disaster and the 10ball with draw a much better shot, especially since after he missed it hohmann had a tough long rail shot to get the rack back. anybody else notice this?

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
Quality-

I just got mine yesterday and will watch them this weekend. How is the audio and video quality? Were these produced by Accu-Stats?

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
I just got mine yesterday and will watch them this weekend. How is the audio and video quality? Were these produced by Accu-Stats?

Video Quality is pretty good although the camera sometimes wanders.

Audio quality is fine although the commentary can be a little hit or miss depending upon who is doing it.

Not Accu-stats.

sausage

Banned
they are Dragon vids.

in the finals, the commentary is good EXCEPT that they kept reminiscing about old times instead of commenting on the game. not that what they were saying wasn't interesting to a pool buff but when Hohmann is doing incredible things on the table, i want to hear them comment on the play and ball selection et... Hohmann would run an entire rack and these two would still be blabbing away about non-game related stuff. it was irritating. that's why i appreciate grady mathews so much. the guy is tuned in on the game not gabbing even though his fellow commentator keeps rambling.

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
Thanks!

Hey, guys, thanks for the info. I guess I can watch it without the sound if I like lol. Still, at this price, it is still a great deal.

-dj

ball-banger

I hate this damn game!
Silver Member
Definitely a good deal for the set. The Eberle "bathroom break" is priceless. I can't believe they didn't edit it out.

sausage

Banned
Lemme know when you've watched that one, it's a real pisser. :)

i was watching it then my player went bonkers at 2:24 into the match, right after Hohmann opens another rack (around 158 balls) and the 9ball? rolls up in front of the cue leaving him tough. i may have to finish it tomorrow. i tell ya though, i'm not thrilled about the Dragon productions videos though. they are better than nothing but the semi-finals must have commentary and the camera work is sub-par. also, it would be nice if they had the above view in a separate window in the same screen going all the time. so i gotta tune back in tomorrow to finish that dvd.... it's grueling just watching. Hohmann however still looks pretty fresh and focused.

sausage

Banned
Lemme know when you've watched that one, it's a real pisser. :)

holy motha of sweet jesus. i couldn't take any more of that BS so i ejected the CD, threw it against the wall, then just to make absolutely sure that it can never rear its ugly head again, i folded it in half. i noticed schmidt in a suit/tie in the audience. it's a shame that he wasn't playing on that vid. the game of 14.1 definitely needs a shot-clock. it was agonizing to watch Eberle take five minutes to shoot the five on the rail when it was his ONLY SHOT. i'm yelling at the vid, "FIVE BALL!.... SHOOT THE FIVE BALL!!!!!" which he FINALLY did. yikes.... then the damned camera man likes those closeup shots of Hohmann's face as he walks the table. i was fit to be tied.....

Attachments

• FUCK.jpg
    FUCK.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
holy motha of sweet jesus. i couldn't take any more of that BS so i ejected the CD, threw it against the wall, then just to make absolutely sure that it can never rear its ugly head again, i folded it in half. i noticed schmidt in a suit/tie in the audience. it's a shame that he wasn't playing on that vid. the game of 14.1 definitely needs a shot-clock. it was agonizing to watch Eberle take five minutes to shoot the five on the rail when it was his ONLY SHOT. i'm yelling at the vid, "FIVE BALL!.... SHOOT THE FIVE BALL!!!!!" which he FINALLY did. yikes.... then the damned camera man likes those closeup shots of Hohmann's face as he walks the table. i was fit to be tied.....

I couldn't watch it all the way through. You are right they are so slow it kills any pleasure we might have in watching the game.

sausage

Banned
without a shot-clock , GOOD camera work and GOOD comentary, there is NO WAY straight pool will ever get a mainstream following. hell, even straight pool fanatics can't sit though that crap. it's not just the slow play, it's that it takes Ebert an eternity to take an obvious shot. with a rhythm like that it's no wonder he lost. a finals match between Schmidt and Sigel with Grady Mathews as commentator would be nice. this was agony.....

rikdee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I couldn't watch it all the way through. You are right they are so slow it kills any pleasure we might have in watching the game.

agree. If one is to play so deliberately, there has to be a shot clock. For the sake of watching the vid, I simply held the remote and 2x'd the speed between shots; made it somewhat more bearable.

sausage

Banned
i had my video software set on 32x FF and i still couldn't watch the entire thing. what straight pool needs is a "pinch shooter" rule whereby, the members of the audience (at any time during the match) can elect to have another player stand in for the those at the table. :grin-square:

rikdee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i had my video software set on 32x FF and i still couldn't watch the entire thing. what straight pool needs is a "pinch shooter" rule whereby, the members of the audience (at any time during the match) can elect to have another player stand in for the those at the table. :grin-square:

LOL, yeah it was pretty bad. Play was entirely too deliberate.

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
I have taken a break during the Hohmann Eberle final because I cannot watch this guy play. He is a good shooter, but I don't see how pool could be any fun when played like this. He looks pretty sullen, so maybe playing pool doesn't make him happy anyway, just my impressions. We have two shooters in my league who play this slow, and I have to warp out of the game when they are shooting because I will get frustrated if I don't.

Thomas Engert is an amazing player, he does not play classic straight pool, but it doesn't matter, the guy is a fabulous shooter. He makes a cut shot on the 11 on the rail that is hard to believe.

I was very impressed with Jeanette Lee's knowledge of the game. Her match was really fun to watch.

For $20, this set is a great buy. Getting the chance to see all of these great players play 14.1 regardless of the shortcomings of the commentary or lack thereof, or the camera work is a real treat for me.

-dj

Last edited:

Cuephoric

1hole anyone?
Silver Member
The videos are worth it. Def a good price for the set. Unheard of actually....
I've been watching matches off and on for days, although Bobby Hunter returning after winning the last one they had forever ago, was kind of poetic.
jennette can be a machine- she spotted a couple of guys in Denver a few years ago 250 in a race to 500.
Neither one of them was even remotely close. (500-251 was the final score on one of them! OUCH!)
Engert is just unreal..... that last match is......wow.....