Do other players rub off on you

Fastolfe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played a guy in our club this evening. He wants so bad to play straight pool, but he's a complete beginner. The guy couldn't sink 3 balls in a row if his life depended on it. When he does, it's a major feat for him.

He's a nice enough guy, and he tries really hard, so I played with him. But really, even with the best of intentions, he was a complete bromide, and the game was dreadful. And as always when I play someone like this, my own game was godawful: I originally planned to slow down a lot to let him play and not kill the fun of straight pool for him, but I didn't even have to. My best inning yielded 5 points or something. And each rack dragged on and on and on for-bloody-ever as he missed balls and I seemed to try my hardest to play even worse. Bleh...

I don't know why, when I play games like that, my speed seems to hit rock bottom. I miss the simplest shots, I can't see anything right anymore, miscue all the time, etc... I try to concentrate a bit and things get worse. I try to loosen up and it doesn't work any better. The only remedy is to play someone who provides a challenge, and even so, it takes me a good half hour to get out of the gutter and play okay again.

It's really sad, I'm reputed a fairly solid player, and I consistently fail to perform with the worst ranked players in the league, because I'd rather be stuck in an elevator for 3 hours than play these guys. Is it just me or does this happen to you too?

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I agree with Dave.

Give him a sizeable spot. For someone like that, I would spot him 90 points in a 100 point game. If he can run 3 balls, then you have to play a tight game as he could potentially get out in 3 innings. This way it gives you some pressure to perform.

I think the biggest problem here is, he probably is creating more problems on the table than solving with his missing balls, which makes the game a bit harder to play. Furthermore, I doubt he is worrying about breakballs which also contributes to increased difficulty. Perhaps as you are having a difficult time playing classical 14.1 you may be getting down on yourself which also contributes to the problem.

HAKurtz

Hittin' the tables!!
Silver Member
My husband can get bored playing me because he can easily beat me. So when we play i play regular and he plays 10 no count. This way it is more of a challenge for him. All the balls i make count, but his only count if he runs 10 or more. Maybe doing something like that will help?

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
I agree on all behalfs, i have a hard time in league as well with guys that are new to the game and just shoot whatever balls they land on.

i agree that the sizable spot to make you bare down, in league i have to spot like 75% of the field. the spot should make me bare down to win but i still find it very hard to play them.
I sit there watching them trying to figure out why they are taking away all the good break shots and what not. and by the time they miss there is nothing but problems left on the table, and nothing that remotly resembles a break shot.
Also when they miss and leave absolutly nothing. and you are thinking what were they playing shape for? they could of bobbled the ball and be no where near having a shot. i often sit there scratching my head in amazment.....
if anything the league is hurting my game, but i play it for the night out and to try to stay some what in stroke.

if it wasnt for me having the high run of 48 in league i would probably would have quit by now. But i want the covetted high run prize and the cumulative high run prize.

Good Luck in your league !
Steve

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
hunny, time for me to up the ante and play 20 no count. i have been playing that with charlie and it has helped me emensely. Charlie plays 15 no count to my 20. Makes for a good practice session for the both of us.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Players,especially beginners,do not learn much thru playing!Stress practice
-proper practice- and emphasize your willingness to help them if they are
willing to at least try and help themselves.I share books,video, and time
with just about anyone willing to learn.Note, I said learn,not waste my time and their's,playing when I can be practicing!

8Ball48043

Addicted to the Sport
Silver Member
I have the same problem; Playing to the level of your competition. So, when possible, play with better players. When playing with lesser competitors .... work on your concentration .... play against yourself.

Ron F

Ron F
Silver Member
Rub Off

I had a similar situation happen to me last night. I was sitting at the counter at the pool room watching 3 guys play a ring 9-ball game. They asked if I'd like to join in and maybe play a set of Scotch doubles. As they were asking, an older poolroom regular walked in and I decided to ask him to play some straight pool instead.

I've never played this guy and never really watched him play before, so I was unsure of his speed. I broke, he made a shot, then another then played a safe. We exchanged another inning of safes then I got a shot and took it. I went on to run 46 before scratching in the side. His turn at the table, like most for the remainder of the game, yielded 3 or 4 balls. We played 3 games to 100 and my best inning after the 46 was two 28's. It was as if, once I saw his speed and didn't feel threatened or pushed, my performance sagged.

alinco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
.... It was as if, once I saw his speed and didn't feel threatened or pushed, my performance sagged.

This happens to me all the time. I understand it completely but still can't seem to avoid it. My focus going into a match is wrong. I'm just trying to figure out if I'm better than my opponent. It's just a pool pecking order thing.

The focus "should" be on winning the match - not about who is better. This is doubly true when you're giving up balls for a handicap.

Thanks for the "January" reminder of this point. Hopefully I can remember it until February!

Andy

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
If you goin to teach him- make him gettin entusiasm on Equal-Offense also (next to patterns and drills of course! ^^)- With Equal-Offense he can see the success also-even while practising solo.

And to learn 14-1 i love to play with such guys *as one person*- we change then after each ball- and he have to explain before each ball what he wanna do and why he wanna get next position- and so you have to do. A really nice workout in my opinion- Especially if you re doin this *drill* with another guy who perhaps is just a bit under your abilities- this often raises the level while seeing and understanding it. It s a big difference from *just watching*- sometimes it s just one situation for such a guy and it makes *click* in his brain and gives him perhaps a boost in his game:)

lg
Ingo