small changes in mind and body

sausage

Banned
i'm noticing that even little changes in my stance makes a big difference in my game. today i raised my head a little above my cue instead of getting my chin down. immediately i ran 4 racks, broke the 5th like an atomic bomb leaving no clusters what so ever, but got a bad roll and no shot. i also got into the 5th rack later but under the fog of vino tinto, can't remember exactly what happened to that run... regardless, i believe that a "slump" can be nothing more than a subtle change in you posture which when uncorrected effects your mind then, well, you're in a 14.1. rut.

Thelonious Monk

Registered
I've noticed the exact same thing with my own game, sausage. (By the way, I'm feeling slightly uncomfortable calling you 'sausage'; does that word mean the same thing in American slang as it does in British slang?)

Anyway, the problem I've always had with such miraculous discoveries is that the magic only ever lasts a week, sometimes if I'm lucky two or three. I've lost count of the number of times I've believed myself to have finally discovered the secret to playing my own best game.

The improvements that stay long term, end up being the obvious ones, the ones you read about time and time and time again. Simple repeatable mechanics, better knowledge, correct mental approach.

It feels to me that when my game is at its best it's like a great big barrel of fine whiskey. Unfortunately that barrel is normally riddled with holes. My pool life is a constant battle to plug those holes up, but as soon as I do that, other holes open up elsewhere.

Perhaps you just plugged up a hole, sausage. Oh, and the other thing is, I think sometimes when you make small sudden 'magical' changes to your game, you've actually plugged up a completely different hole from the one you thought you plugged.

But I don't want to get down on your changes, sausage. They may work for you forever. And I very truly and sincerely hope they do. No one likes spilling good liquor.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
I agree

I've noticed the exact same thing with my own game, sausage. (By the way, I'm feeling slightly uncomfortable calling you 'sausage'; does that word mean the same thing in American slang as it does in British slang?)

Anyway, the problem I've always had with such miraculous discoveries is that the magic only ever lasts a week, sometimes if I'm lucky two or three. I've lost count of the number of times I've believed myself to have finally discovered the secret to playing my own best game.

The improvements that stay long term, end up being the obvious ones, the ones you read about time and time and time again. Simple repeatable mechanics, better knowledge, correct mental approach.

It feels to me that when my game is at its best it's like a great big barrel of fine whiskey. Unfortunately that barrel is normally riddled with holes. My pool life is a constant battle to plug those holes up, but as soon as I do that, other holes open up elsewhere.

Perhaps you just plugged up a hole, sausage. Oh, and the other thing is, I think sometimes when you make small sudden 'magical' changes to your game, you've actually plugged up a completely different hole from the one you thought you plugged.

But I don't want to get down on your changes, sausage. They may work for you forever. And I very truly and sincerely hope they do. No one likes spilling good liquor.

I agree with what you are saying and specially the part where this new magic discoveries only last for a week or two. This has happened to me over & over. I had a thing about aiming on the cue dead center, with the right eye, with the left eye and still have doubts. Holding the cue in different places. etc.....
I really believe at least with me, it is all mental. It is so important to stay positive. Thanks for the post. I enjoyed reading it,

PS; I too would like to know how did the nick name of "Sausage" come about.

sausage

Banned
StraightMan: there was an individual here who alluded to the nature of my name in another thread. it is, in fact, straight pool related. that is your only hint for today. :p

sausage

Banned
the hints don't get any better than that. lol.....

we used to use that saying as a "jab" when an opponent lost the game. the "real" sausage however was mosconi himself. oops another hint....

Thelonious Monk

Registered
the hints don't get any better than that. lol.....

we used to use that saying as a "jab" when an opponent lost the game. the "real" sausage however was mosconi himself. oops another hint....

Well, Mosconi was called Willie, obviously. And certainly in British slang, a 'willy' is exactly the same thing as a 'sausage'.

This whole thing is just schoolboy rudeness, isn't it.

I believe that this change in the playing level is simply because of the fact that when you make some minor change in your stance,for example, you just concentrate on this and let your natural abilities shoot and free your mind at least for some short period of time. I mean that the concious is not used for the making of the shot but for this particular change... as soon as this change becomes part of your routine it will not make difference ..I think that this explanation can be true only for players who have developed decent routine and stroke techniques.
This is a pretty simple explanation. There are many factors and it depends what kind of change is made...

Last edited:

sausage

Banned
Well, Mosconi was called Willie, obviously. And certainly in British slang, a 'willy' is exactly the same thing as a 'sausage'.

This whole thing is just schoolboy rudeness, isn't it.

i like your logic but no ceegar. it's in direct reference to the quote posted above; "rack-em sausage". i thought that all pool players knew this one...