Derby City 14.1 Challenge, 2010

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Is 171 the highest ever run at the DCC 14.1 challenge? I can't recall a higher run.

I believe so. John ran a 154 last year - which I believe was the highest ever in the challenge. Last year Corey ran a 153.

FWIW, I believe John has won the 14.1 high run award on Az every year that we've kept score.

Mr441

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe so. John ran a 154 last year - which I believe was the highest ever in the challenge. Last year Corey ran a 153.

FWIW, I believe John has won the 14.1 high run award on Az every year that we've kept score.

Didn't Mika run a 160 at the DCC one year? Or maybe I'm thinking of a different tourny.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Charlie Williams ended up running a 115 after being down like 73-10. winning the match 125 to 73. I had a very difficult time watching it too, it was very unorthidox 14.1 !!

finals are Williams vs Eckert !!

Let's Go Eckert !!!
Steve

Last edited:

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
Complete results from the AZ front page.

Daily Prizes
Sunday
$300 99 John Schmidt
$200 70 Marc Vidal
$100 57 Ralph Eckert

Monday
$300 113 John Schmidt
$200 111 Ralph Eckert
$100 57 Charlie Williams

Tuesday
$300 156 John Schmidt
$200 99 Corey Deuel
$100 91 Beau Runningen

Wednesday
$300 146 Johnny Archer
$200 93 Charlie Williams
$100 82 Bobby Hunter

Tournament
1st Charlie Williams $2,500
2nd Ralph Eckert $1,700
3rd John Schmidt $1,100
4th Alex Pagulayan $1,100
5th Corey Deuel $700
6th Bobby Hunter $700
7th Stevie Moore $700
8th Beau Runningen $700

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I went to bed. I had hoped to awake to news that Ralph Eckert had won.

whadayagunnado

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
I was gunning for Eckert to win as well as soon as Schmidtie got knocked out.

Eckert made some bad mistakes and poor decisions on a few patterns in the latter point in the match. I think he was just drained, and un-focussed.

Williams IMHO is not supposed to beat Eckert in 14.1 !

cant wait to get the DVD's so i can watch it again, the stream locked up on me several times at key points so i want to see what caused the outcome after i had to log back on to continue watching.

Steve

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
i could swear that i saw something somewhere that he played in the One Pocket and Banks events.

if so why didnt he take part in his game of 14.1

Steve

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Harriman was there. I watched some of his one pocket matches. Don't know why he didn't try the straight pool this year.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Hey Dennis,

i see you texting on the sidelines, please refrain from cell phone usage during 14.1 match play.........

Steve

Marop had to leave early and was back in Simi Valley demanding updates. What could I do??

I'll bet Dennis had something to do with recording the video. :groucho:

Actually, though I brought my little camcorder and recorded the back table, Elvicash, for at least the third year in a row, had much more professional equipment set up for the front table. He was doing this in 2008, when I first went down to the Derby and before I had met him. He got there early and set up the microphones, a mixer and all kinds of cool technogadgets that are beyond my ken.

Harriman was there. Don't know why he didn't try the straight pool this year.

Danny tried but did not qualify. He said he hadn't been playing 14.1 since the previous year and had been playing a lot of three cushion. At first he wasn't going to make any attempts but maybe his backer changed his mind. I think his high was in the 40s.

Thanks for the update Bob. These runs are phenomenal. How they're putting these numbers up on the Diamonds, I have no idea.

If you had to estimate what percent of the attempts are "failures", i.e., runs that don't even make it out of the first rack, what would you say? I'm curious where the median would lie - somewhere in the upper 30s or somewhere in the teens?

Thanks for your generous support of these events, Bob.

- Steve

Steve: Elvicash has the score sheets and he is going to scan them for me.
I know on the first day, John got his high of 99 and the other three attempts were not very good.

On the second day he got maybe a 66 and miscued and then followed up with a 113. He did not make any more attempts that day. On day three I think he had about a 40 or 50 something and then followed up with the 156 and took no more attempts that day.

I was gunning for Eckert to win as well as soon as Schmidtie got knocked out.

Eckert made some bad mistakes and poor decisions on a few patterns in the latter point in the match. I think he was just drained, and un-focussed.

Williams IMHO is not supposed to beat Eckert in 14.1 !

Steve

The dream match up would have been Schmidt and Eckert. They both had played well all week.
John was running away with it when he went for a combination that wasn't quite dead opening the door for Charlie Patterns to do his magic. Charlie will be the first to tell you he is no expert on straight pool but he shoots so straight he is always a threat and John said that going in.

As for the finals, they both uncharacteristically missed very easy shots, and made mental errors. Both of them seemed to forget that the other was on a scratch during the match. In fact, Ralph took a very tough shot with two balls on the table and Charlie needing two. Charlie was on a foul at the time and the proper response should have been an intentional, making Charlie have to break up the two balls.

I think fatigue, both mental and physical contributed to the play in the final match.

All in all though it was a good week that saw a lot of good runs on a Diamond.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I appreciate your efforts Dennis. It seems like the 14:1 is getting more time and attention. Certainly Accu-Stats is giving it more space and hopefully the DCC participants are comeing to the 14:1 room/tables. Since I couldn't make it there..AGAIN(!)... It was nice to see you, a friendly face... a familiar face, on screen.

About 10 or 15 minutes into the Eckert/Alex match Mark and Danny talk some about Sailor. I know he'd love to have a copy of that.... if you have a DVD or something.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
It seems like the 14:1 is getting more time and attention. Certainly Accu-Stats is giving it more space and hopefully the DCC participants are coming to the 14:1 room/tables.

Pat Fleming loves 14.1 and told someone they were his best selling videos and he wanted us on the tv table.

Unfortunately, the 14.1 room was tucked away far from everyone and everything and the room was not laid out in a way to be conducive to walk ups. It is something that Bob discussed with Mark Griffin and Greg Sullivan, and which, if not fixed, may cause the event to end.

About 10 or 15 minutes into the Eckert/Alex match Mark and Danny talk some about Sailor. I know he'd love to have a copy of that.... if you have a DVD or something.

Mark Wilson had brought up the name in previous years but he pushed a little harder this time and gave some more details. I spoke to Mark about it afterwards. I know Sailor will like it when he hears it.