Ball Placement

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some people(me) find the chart showing placement of cue ball and 15th ball confusing. I have converted it to text and present it here for proof reading, comments and criticisms.

New Version:14.1 ball placement.

Example #1 Cue ball in rack, 15th ball in rack: 15th ball on foot spot, cue ball in kitchen.

Example #2 Cue ball in rack, 15th ball pocketed: 15th ball on foot spot, cue ball in kitchen.

Example #3 Cue ball in rack, in kitchen but not on head spot: 15th ball in position, cue ball on head spot. 15th ball is playable.

Example #4 Cue ball in rack, 15th ball not in kitchen & not in rack: 15th ball in position, cue ball in kitchen.

Example #5 Cue ball in rack, 15th ball on head spot: 15th ball in position, cue ball on center spot.

Example #6 Cue ball not in rack and not on head spot, 15th ball in the rack: 15th ball to head spot, cue ball in position.

Example #7 Cue ball not in rack and not on head spot, 15th ball pocketed: 15th ball to foot spot, cue ball in position.

Example #8 Cue ball on head spot, 15th ball in rack: 15th ball to center spot, cue ball in position.

Example #9 Cue ball on head spot, 15th ball pocketed: 15th ball to foot spot, cue ball in position.

Note: On head spot means interfering with spotting a ball on head spot.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
Some people(me) find the chart showing placement of cue ball and 15th ball confusing. I have converted it to text and present it here for proof reading, comments and criticisms.

New Version:14.1 ball placement.

Example #1 Cue ball in rack, 15th ball in rack: 15th ball on foot spot, cue ball in kitchen.

Example #2 Cue ball in rack, 15th ball pocketed: 15th ball on foot spot, cue ball in kitchen.

Example #3 Cue ball in rack, in kitchen but not on head spot: 15th ball in position, cue ball on head spot. 15th ball is playable.

Example #4 Cue ball in rack, 15th ball not in kitchen & not in rack: 15th ball in position, cue ball in kitchen.

Example #5 Cue ball in rack, 15th ball on head spot: 15th ball in position, cue ball on center spot.

Example #6 Cue ball not in rack and not on head spot, 15th ball in the rack: 15th ball to head spot, cue ball in position.

Example #7 Cue ball not in rack and not on head spot, 15th ball pocketed: 15th ball to foot spot, cue ball in position.

Example #8 Cue ball on head spot, 15th ball in rack: 15th ball to center spot, cue ball in position.

Example #9 Cue ball on head spot, 15th ball pocketed: 15th ball to foot spot, cue ball in position.

Note: On head spot means interfering with spotting a ball on head spot.

Personally I find the table easier to deal with. I can put my finger on the correct row, then drag it until it hits the relevant column.

Example #3 should be: Cue ball in rack, 15th ball in kitchen but not on head spot: 15th ball in position, cue ball on head spot. 15th ball is playable.

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Boomer's in Sturtavant, Wi. had the chart printed on cardboard about 5 times the size of the example in the rule book. That was pretty convenient and easy too read. When the room changed owners they disappeared and no one seems to know where they went. Maybe I'll see if I can have some of those printed up and donate them to boomer's and Break & Run. Or are they for sale somewhere?

Dave

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Some people(me) find the chart showing placement of cue ball and 15th ball confusing. I have converted it to text and present it here for proof reading, comments and criticisms. ...

Dave, the WPA rules state everything in writing (in addition to the Summary table), as follows:

When the cue ball or fifteenth object ball interferes with racking fourteen balls for a new rack, the following special rules apply. A ball is considered to interfere with the rack if it is within or overlaps the outline of the rack. The referee will state when asked whether a ball interferes with the rack.
(a) If the fifteenth ball was pocketed on the shot that scored the fourteenth ball, all fifteen balls are re-racked.
(b) If both balls interfere, all fifteen balls are re-racked and the cue ball is in hand behind the head string.
(c) If only the object ball interferes, it is placed on the head spot or the center spot if the cue ball blocks the head spot.
(d) If only the cue ball interferes, then it is placed as follows: if the object ball is in front of or on the head string, the cue ball is in hand behind the head string; if the object ball is behind the head string, the cue ball is spotted on the head spot, or on the center spot if the head spot is blocked.
In any case, there is no restriction on which object ball the shooter may play as the first shot of the new rack.​

Last edited:

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks. I'll print a few copies of that and pass them around and see if people think that it's easier too understand than the chart. I think the chart would be fine if I can figure out how to blow it up to a larger size.

Dave