New League

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
I had to drop out of both Red Shoes and the Illinois Billiard Club Straight Pool leagues for a while after being in both of them pretty much non stop for over 5 years.

Each league required me to play two matches possibly to my handicap of 150. Sometimes, the evening could be over 5 hours. Due to my weakening arthritic ankles and other health complications, I could not do it any more and had to pull up.

However, there is a bright light on the Horizon because Andy Walker proposed something that we are now going to do at Red Shoes.

Starting next week, we now have a small 14and1.com league going off on Wednesday nights. (This is in addition to Red Shoes usual straight pool league on Mondays). Our league uses a different handicap system devised by 14and1.com and we only play one game a week. At the present time, I will be going to 80 and the top players go to 115. This could change and we could end up higher, but it is still only one game.

I had been intrigued by the notion of a National 14.1 Organization years ago, but no one at Red Shoes or at the Illinois Billiard Club wanted to change the way they were doing it. This gives the players in Chicago an opportunity to dip their toes in the water and see how this system works.

The impetus behind Red Shoes getting involved is the specter of a National Championship to take place sometime in September at Red Shoes. After Andy Walker decided he wanted to do the Nationals at a centrally located pool hall, it was sort of a no-brainer for us to get involved.

If anyone out there wants to form a league to qualify for this years Nationals, there is still time. The minimum number of players for your league would be 7, and of them 2 will qualify.

Check out http://14and1.com/ for details. It would be nice to get a bunch of people from different locations into Chicago to play each other this fall.

Attachments

• gtext158654ed6f8099282d.jpg
    gtext158654ed6f8099282d.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 403
Last edited:

mnhighrunlist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What date is their national in Chicago? The second year we did 14.1 league here in MN we did 14and1.com. I believe we qualified Matt and Joel out to NJ for the national that year.

-Dennis

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Hey D,

I am real curious on how this league turns out. We debated running one of these back when we had a league in one of our rooms.

Keep us posted on how things work out !

Steve

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
What date is their national in Chicago? The second year we did 14.1 league here in MN we did 14and1.com. I believe we qualified Matt and Joel out to NJ for the national that year.

-Dennis

I don't think they have finalized the week yet. Middle of September, maybe.

You ought to get a small league together. You have enough time and could qualify someone for the Nationals. Chicago is closer than Jersey. :grin:

Demondrew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wanted everyone to know the 14and1.com Nationals will be at Red Shoes on September 15, 2012.

Running a league with seven or eight players lasts 14 weeks putting you into August, plenty of time to get into the finals.

Andy Walker

Wink

14.1 Wannabe
Silver Member
Thanks Dennis. I almost started Chicago Nomads under 14and1.com. It didn't make sense unless there was something additional over doing the IBC Format league that you and Rich Klein hooked me up with.

With a National Championship in Chicago, I'd be happy to get Chicago Nomads 14.1 League going under the 14and1 format.

Last edited: