Scoring questions - How to resolve lost points

AuntyDan

/* Insert skill here */
Silver Member
This is the scenario - In a non-Professional (I.E. No referee) game a rack is going back and forth for a while but with no scratches. Score is being kept on a traditional scoring bead wire. The rack total is kept seperate from the running score until the end of each rack.

Both players get to a score of 6 each for the rack and there are 2 balls on the table. At this point the players realize there is 1 point missing from the rack as this only adds up to 14. Neither player can accurately remember how many points they scored in each innings.

Is there a traditionally accepted way to resolve this? My feeling would be to award the extra point to neither player.

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
AuntyDan said:
This is the scenario - In a non-Professional (I.E. No referee) game a rack is going back and forth for a while but with no scratches. Score is being kept on a traditional scoring bead wire. The rack total is kept seperate from the running score until the end of each rack.

Both players get to a score of 6 each for the rack and there are 2 balls on the table. At this point the players realize there is 1 point missing from the rack as this only adds up to 14. Neither player can accurately remember how many points they scored in each innings.

Is there a traditionally accepted way to resolve this? My feeling would be to award the extra point to neither player.

Dan, there's really no way to resolve this if both players really are unsure who the point belongs to. If it happened in one of my games, I would agree to keep it as a 13 point rack.

Any other solution becomes totally arbitrary (give it to the shooter? flip a coin?) and there's really no reason for it. Scores don't have to be divisible by 14 at the end of the game, and they won't as long as there's even been one foul. So why do something arbitrary to keep an integrity that won't be there by the end of the game anyway?

- Steve

Drew

Got a little dog in you?
Silver Member
AuntyDan said:

Lol, I give those to my opponent. But mostly because of my OCD with regards to these things. If our scores add up to 43 after 3 racks, something went terribly wrong.

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
straight pool(14.1)
rules of 14.1 : scoring : misc_
rule c:finders keepers, losers weepers.

:)

Paul Mon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Similar situation

Had this happen last Sunday. In the begining of a new rack I bunted a loose ball from behind the stack and it went into the side pocket. I forgot to spot it and a few innings later we both realized what happened. We left the ball down and played that rack to total 13.

Paul Mon

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it's kind of like sleeping an owed ball in one pocket. You could arm wrestle for it or maybe a rochambeau?!....me first!

actually, I would say nobody gets the point and continue playing hoping you don't lose by 1 point!.

Gerry