Question for owners of Lee Peppers cues

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Lee Peppers cue from 2012 where the finish appears to coat the entire shaft. Lee claimed that it only has a sealer, but the feel is very different than any other shaft I own. It is particularly bothersome in the summer when hands can be a bit sweaty. I do not wear a glove and do not intend to start. I have previously given it to a cue repariman to refinish, but it still feels the same. I would prefer not to sand the shaft because I like the taper and weight.

Have any other owners of Lee’s cues had the same experience/problem? Did you refinish the shaft? How was it done?

Thanks in advance.

MN Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I noticed a lot of build up on the burnishing paper the first few times I cleaned the shafts. I also seem to remember him selling a shaft wax as well. Maybe he treated his shafts with this wax?

RG

tuffstuff07

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think my cue is still as nice as the day I got it but I haven't played with it much to be honest.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best remedy is to have a cue repair person place the shaft on a lathe and professionally clean and recondition the shaft. Any qualified cue repair person can do this for $10 to $25. You can send shafts to Muellers in Lincoln Nebraska, they do very good shaft cleaning/reconditioning work as well for about $15. If you insist on doing it yourself without a lathe then you can use 91% rubbing alcohol to clean the shafts, when they are completely clean and dry you can use 1500 grit sandpaper as you constantly rotate the shaft until the shafts are clean of all sealant - I DO NOT recommend this procedure as you can really never get the job done as well as with a lathe and using more proper cleaning and reconditioning materials; and you can get your shafts out of round doing it by hand.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Sand it off with 2000-grit and a lot of patience, or use a paper towel to melt it off.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the responses above. As mikemosconi suggested, I will probably try another repairman, since that is likely the best solution. Time to schedule an appointment with Dr. Webb. :thumbup:

I don't often ask for advice on AZB. I really appreciate the time from its members when they respond.

Greg

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
Thanks for the responses above. As mikemosconi suggested, I will probably try another repairman, since that is likely the best solution. Time to schedule an appointment with Dr. Webb. :thumbup:

I don't often ask for advice on AZB. I really appreciate the time from its members when they respond.

Greg

Your cue would be in VERY good hands if Mike works on it. One of the best of the best.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you certain the whole shaft does not have a UV finish ?

I don't know the answer. What I know is that the feel of the cue near the joint is the same for the whole length of the shaft. Anybody who tries to shoot with it notices that it does not stroke smoothly through your fingers like most/all other shafts. I couldn't send the shaft back to Lee. By the time I received it, he had discontinued production for the second time. Most likely, I would have never seen the shaft again.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Does it look like it has finish from tip to the joint ?
Does the bare wood absorb chalk or liquid ?

My suspicion is the whole shaft was dipped in UV finish then flashed.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does it look like it has finish from tip to the joint ?
Does the bare wood absorb chalk or liquid ?

My suspicion is the whole shaft was dipped in UV finish then flashed.

You might be correct. There is no obvious break between the shaft and ferrule (I know, great shafts don't have that either). Both the ferrule and shaft have the same glossy look. Running my fingers from shaft to the ferrule, it feels like one piece.

I have quite a few shafts, none of which bind in my fingers in the same way. Consequently, this shaft mostly has sat in a case for 5+ years. Occasionally, I use it to hit a few balls. It has never taken on chalk stain. The ferrule also looks new.

I have plenty of shafts for play. But this one was tapered to my preference (very stiff), hits very nicely, remains straight, and is my only playing shaft that does not have an ivory ferrule. So it is worth my effort to fix.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
You might be correct. There is no obvious break between the shaft and ferrule (I know, great shafts don't have that either). Both the ferrule and shaft have the same glossy look. Running my fingers from shaft to the ferrule, it feels like one piece.

I have quite a few shafts, none of which bind in my fingers in the same way. Consequently, this shaft mostly has sat in a case for 5+ years. Occasionally, I use it to hit a few balls. It has never taken on chalk stain. The ferrule also looks new.

I have plenty of shafts for play. But this one was tapered to my preference (very stiff), hits very nicely, remains straight, and is my only playing shaft that does not have an ivory ferrule. So it is worth my effort to fix.

The finish can be taken out.
But, it is very thick . Like 1/4 of a MM thick.
I did one and had to use a razor blade .
Then had the to blend in the stop some 5 inches from the joint.
Used super glue and sanded it a little so the finish can't be felt so abruptly.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The finish can be taken out.
But, it is very thick . Like 1/4 of a MM thick.
I did one and had to use a razor blade .
Then had the to blend in the stop some 5 inches from the joint.
Used super glue and sanded it a little so the finish can't be felt so abruptly.

It would be disappointing to lose 0.25-0.50 mm from the shaft. But the shaft isn't doing anybody any good sitting in a case. The ferrule is currently 13.10 mm. Taking it down that far would probably relegate it back into the case. Hmmm.....

Thanks for providing your experience.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Peppers cue

I owned one for a while. I liked the cue, construction and playability but never got used to the shafts and the coating on them.

I ended up trading it off because of that.