True Workings of Pivot-style Aiming

paultex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Feel is a solution to not having a answer. How would one know if a seamstress feels her way through the eye of a needle and I bet if she does, she'll CHOKE, if I'm allowed to stand within any physical proximity where she can feel at a minimum, my eyes, my tractor beam eyes, my all knowing, all seeing eyes......probing her with what I know will make her choke in the very least sense that she will not just run that thread through like she always does with feel with no pressure.

.....unless she has been doing it for years with sharking all around her to develop pedigree. If not.......I own her. All I have to do is stand there with her knowledge of my judgment of her non chalant "skill". The razor gets destroyed every time by the dull buck knife. My evil eye, wishing her to succeed in demonstration, TO ME. I came many miles to see her do this incredible act. Don't disapoint me woman. Thou shall have to think'ith through now and not like thou usually does before going to lunch or after break.

I am watching youuuuu.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
.........I used to do a trade called metalspinning. I used to choke at different levels until I basically knew exactly what I was doing and to the point that if important customers came in and the owner giving them a tour, and stop by my lathe and watch, and I know the boss is counting on me extra here, I DID NOT GIV A FK WHO WAS WATCHING ME, pressure wasn't even in the equation and that's the truth.

Knowledge helps build confidence. As far as choking in a public performance -- be it playing in a pool match with spectators, playing an instrument or singing or talking in front of an audience, or whatever... -- the first few times are nerve-racking! I've seen very talented musicians, very knowledgeable and very skilled, just absolutely fall apart first time on stage. It happens. Everybody gets nervous when under pressure. It's a natural emotional reaction; the quickening pulse, the shakes, the sweating, etc.... The more you place yourself in these situations the more you get used to it and the better you get at controlling the emotions. If not, you'll choke quite often.

I went with a friend to her first singing gig. At practice the night before, she sounded incredibly strong and confident. At the club, in the first few songs, she stood as still as a tombstone, and her voice was shakey. The sound guy made it worse by cranking her mic up and sending screeching feedback through the place. I was standing in the back of the room and started making my way to the stage with two or three other friends following. We got right up front where she could see us, and soon she was singing to us like no one else was there, and within a song or two she looked and sounded like she did during practice, confidence regained.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
How is deflection felt? Do you use parallel English, BHE, Tuck and Roll to apply it?

Can one way of applying it create more deflection than other ways?

How far out do you usually go from center when applying English?

Is deflection affected by speed?

By "feel" I mean you must first visualize the deflection needed.. and then.. execute so the CB reacts to what you see.

For instance.. A straight in shot aimed to hit the OB dead on.. Hit the CB with low left, & using about stop shot speed.
The CB squirts (deflects) right, the OB goes left, and the CB spin dies..... Same straight in shot aimed to hit OB dead
on.. Hit top left with follow.. CB swerves left, the OB goes right, and the CB retains spin. How much isn't set.. It's feel.

I aim 2 ways.. Pivot from inside only.. or.. aim by fractions. How much pivot? What fraction point? It isn't set.. It's feel.

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Feel is a solution to not having a answer. How would one know if a seamstress feels her way through the eye of a needle and I bet if she does, she'll CHOKE, if I'm allowed to stand within any physical proximity where she can feel at a minimum, my eyes, my tractor beam eyes, my all knowing, all seeing eyes......probing her with what I know will make her choke in the very least sense that she will not just run that thread through like she always does with feel with no pressure.

.....unless she has been doing it for years with sharking all around her to develop pedigree. If not.......I own her. All I have to do is stand there with her knowledge of my judgment of her non chalant "skill". The razor gets destroyed every time by the dull buck knife. My evil eye, wishing her to succeed in demonstration, TO ME. I came many miles to see her do this incredible act. Don't disapoint me woman. Thou shall have to think'ith through now and not like thou usually does before going to lunch or after break.

I am watching youuuuu.

This is good! Very funny. I like it.

When you decide you want drum lessons, look me up if you're close to WV. I'm also a grand champion needle threader from way back. I can thread it true as rain with my eyes closed, no hands, just by looking at it and imagining what it would feel like. But that's a trade secret, and I don't give lessons on it.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
.....concentration predicates feel by a mile.

?? I don't even know what this means. So, concentration affirms feel? Or feel is predicated by concentration? Either way, it says feel very much exists and is related to concentration, which I believe as well. But you also say feel is superstition. ?

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
By "feel" I mean you must first visualize the deflection needed.. and then.. execute so the CB reacts to what you see.

For instance.. A straight in shot aimed to hit the OB dead on.. Hit the CB with low left, & using about stop shot speed.
The CB squirts (deflects) right, the OB goes left, and the CB spin dies..... Same straight in shot aimed to hit OB dead
on.. Hit top left with follow.. CB swerves left, the OB goes right, and the CB retains spin. How much isn't set.. It's feel.

I aim 2 ways.. Pivot from inside only.. or.. aim by fractions. How much pivot? What fraction point? It isn't set.. It's feel.

I'm not even going to address this or dissect it with any more questions or answers.

All I can say is you and I think about totally different things and play completely opposite from each other. I guess it's what makes pool - pool.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
I'm not even going to address this or dissect it with any more questions or answers.

All I can say is you and I think about totally different things and play completely opposite from each other. I guess it's what makes pool - pool.

OK.. But I do have a question. How do you play for shape? I look for multiple CB routes by working off the tangent line.
I look for a tangent end point, then play forward or reverse from that line. How do you move the CB without deflection?

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member

........What makes your guesswork or looking right and feeling right highly accurate or superior or inferior to another player who does it this way?

The same thing that makes you better at Shiskabob and CTE when compared to another player using those same methods.....A MORE DEVELOPED JUDGEMENT BASED ON EXPERIENCE.

...........I'll talk him into giving you a spot. What do you want and which game?

I would love to play Allen Hopkins some one pocket. But I'm not asking for a spot and I'm not asking for action. But I always liked his style and attitude. It would be cool if there were a 1-hole challenge/lesson table at Derby City with a guy like him to play, maybe $100 for a 2-out-of-3 lesson.

Last edited:

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
How is deflection felt? Do you use parallel English, BHE, Tuck and Roll to apply it?

Can one way of applying it create more deflection than other ways?

How far out do you usually go from center when applying English?

Is deflection affected by speed?

You ask a lot of questions...Im thinking pools not your thing.

PS...learn how to pocket balls with a center hit ..inside an outside hit.
Or better yet have the mods open up a newbie section here an stay there.:smile:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
OK.. But I do have a question. How do you play for shape? I look for multiple CB routes by working off the tangent line.
I look for a tangent end point, then play forward or reverse from that line. How do you move the CB without deflection?

A combination of aim point and BHE to the outside. I don't even think about deflection. If you read any of my posts about Shiskabob with a an outside pivot from center you'd see how I do it.

I play for shape by planning out as many shots as possible in advance so I can keep the CB flowing to be on the correct side of the OB for automatic shape on each shot.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
You ask a lot of questions...Im thinking pools not your thing.

PS...learn how to pocket balls with a center hit ..inside an outside hit.
Or better yet have the mods open up a newbie section here an stay there.:smile:

Back to drinking again, huh Anthony. That's your best thing.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I would love to play Allen Hopkins some one pocket. But I'm not asking for a spot and I'm not asking for action. But I always liked his style and attitude. It would be cool if there were a 1-hole challenge/lesson table at Derby City with a guy like him to play, maybe $100 for a 2-out-of-3 lesson.

No, you wouldn't love to play Allen Hopkins in one pocket. It's too frustrating because you're always in jail and rarely end up with a shot to make a ball. When I say always, I mean ALWAYS.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
........What makes your guesswork or looking right and feeling right highly accurate or superior or inferior to another player who does it this way?

The same thing that makes you better at Shiskabob and CTE when compared to another player using those same methods.....A MORE DEVELOPED JUDGEMENT BASED ON EXPERIENCE.

My better judgment when using Shiskebob or CTE comes from the fact I'm not using so much judgment. I'm using tangible visual aim points to focus on. All the judgment part was figured out by Hal Houle and Stan for me. Others may not be as well trained or practiced.

You on the other hand seem to have NO TANGIBLE VISUAL AIM POINTS TO FOCUS ON. It's all guesswork on the fly shot by shot.

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
No, you wouldn't love to play Allen Hopkins in one pocket. It's too frustrating because you're always in jail and rarely end up with a shot to make a ball. When I say always, I mean ALWAYS.

Sounds like you need to work on your one pocket game.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
My better judgment when using Shiskebob or CTE comes from the fact I'm not using so much judgment. I'm using tangible visual aim points to focus on. All the judgment part was figured out by Hal Houle and Stan for me. Others may not be as well trained or practiced.

You on the other hand seem to have NO TANGIBLE VISUAL AIM POINTS TO FOCUS ON. It's all guesswork on the fly shot by shot.

And it's amazing how consistently I can do it. I'd say my vision center has captured enough CB-to-OB-to-pocket relationships that my brain just connects the shot to a stored program that directs my body and stroke to the appropriate alignment. It's a phenomenon that was probably never meant to be.;)

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
Back to drinking again, huh Anthony. That's your best thing.

I've been taking it easy on the drinking, I heard its bad for you. Read some of your post,I think I should've gave up reading instead. Aiming systems aren't whats needed to play good pool Dave....hopefully you get that someday.:smile:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
And it's amazing how consistently I can do it. I'd say my vision center has captured enough CB-to-OB-to-pocket relationships that my brain just connects the shot to a stored program that directs my body and stroke to the appropriate alignment. It's a phenomenon that was probably never meant to be.;)

Great. Now go right ahead and put it all into words to describe this phenomenon exactly.

Then create another book for those who graduate from Poolology or abandon it because they all know your real secret system works better.

You do make some over the top grandiose claims in the book about how those who learn to use it can improve beyond belief.

Maybe you should start trying to use it yourself. Then you too can "Master the art of aiming and NEVER MISS ANOTHER BALL". (quoted from the book)

I can't imagine the number of piranha coming out after Stan if HE ever made such a claim. "Snake oil salesman", which he was called would have been tame. Hal was called the same thing yet Hal NEVER sold anything. He gave it away for FREE and never wanted a penny for his knowledge. You could take it or leave it.

Do I have your approval to post some of the other over the top claims? Would you like me to remove this one?

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Sounds like you need to work on your one pocket game.

No doubt I need to work on my one pocket game. In your case if you played Hopkins, you might never want to play one pocket again for the rest of your life.

It's just too great of a mountain to climb with too few years left in life. Seriously.

It would be like getting into the ring with Mike Tyson in his prime and getting knocked out over the ropes and thinking, "with more time and training, I think I might have a chance to get him."

Aaaah, no you wouldn't. The only thing you might learn to do is run around the ring like a greyhound for a few seconds more before he caught up to you and it would all end up the same way. Flying out over the ropes into the front chairs with a welt the size of a pool ball sticking out of your eye.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I've been taking it easy on the drinking, I heard its bad for you. Read some of your post,I think I should've gave up reading instead. Aiming systems aren't whats needed to play good pool Dave....hopefully you get that someday.:smile:

I never imagined you knew how to read to begin with especially based on how you write.