cleveland players of the past......

NickCasey

Registered
in search of players from years gone by. heard of jr passing but to anyone who played at winners in the 90s think back. i remember seeing jr there all the time. carnes and richie d would battle there all the time. mike cherio would always have side action when not at the track, lol purtorican mike,richie the mover, big brad, rossi norris,mark sos , sam sidoti, the money man glen, i personally watched anton take 4000.00 from leroy hoard. phenomanal stroke that guy 7 rail draw shots lol all kinda crazy..... anyone have stories?????

NickCasey

Registered
yep hoard was a browns player early 90s gregg fox hit the kicker lottery game or something, buyin drinks the browns players would come up there all the time , so gregg was talkin to leroy and said there is a guy here that can do the impossible. so anton set up some shots leroy was hooked and keep in mind, anton was like mike massey on steroids!!!! really good stroke , scary 9 ball guy cause he could make crazy shots and place the cue ball at will with a killer break. so leroys nose gets open, anton makes the shot 4 times in a row 1k each time!!! leroy paid instantly. always had a roll,they had a lot of poker games back then, jr would go around with anton cause the room and meals always got paid thanks to people betting on impossible stuff. last i heard he was doing exhibition stuff at jillians in the flats.long since closed i think

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More

yep hoard was a browns player early 90s gregg fox hit the kicker lottery game or something, buyin drinks the browns players would come up there all the time , so gregg was talkin to leroy and said there is a guy here that can do the impossible. so anton set up some shots leroy was hooked and keep in mind, anton was like mike massey on steroids!!!! really good stroke , scary 9 ball guy cause he could make crazy shots and place the cue ball at will with a killer break. so leroys nose gets open, anton makes the shot 4 times in a row 1k each time!!! leroy paid instantly. always had a roll,they had a lot of poker games back then, jr would go around with anton cause the room and meals always got paid thanks to people betting on impossible stuff. last i heard he was doing exhibition stuff at jillians in the flats.long since closed i think

Baby Face, Raymond Dog, Tulio, DippyDave, Kenny K.

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
Frank Zummo is still around and has a place around Eastlake I think. I can't remember, but I did see him last time I went up for a visit. I also saw Tulio Antonelli there and talked to him for a bit. Can't talk about anyone else since I haven't lived there for over 20 years.

I heard a lot of them moved south about the time I moved south

1sttbone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
clevelands best

In the mid 60s I traveled to clevelands olympia bowl in search of charlie morgan..I found him in action playing 9-ball. He played great but I felt he had a funny twitch in his stroke. We never matched up..

dietz

Registered
How about Mike Chandley (moved to South Carloina) Tony Matina (still in the area) Big Cheif (JR's dad - dead), Bob Schneider, Kirk, <--- Both still in the area
Butch Bauer - just put together my GC1 on Sunday

I was at River City when Grady Mathews came in and played JR in straight pool, all the action going on that with the Dan A and Jerry and all the other side bets.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
South

Frank Zummo is still around and has a place around Eastlake I think. I can't remember, but I did see him last time I went up for a visit. I also saw Tulio Antonelli there and talked to him for a bit. Can't talk about anyone else since I haven't lived there for over 20 years.

I heard a lot of them moved south about the time I moved south

A west side player moved to FLA , Grover and Babyface is in your area S.Carolina .

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
How about Mike Chandley (moved to South Carloina) Tony Matina (still in the area) Big Cheif (JR's dad - dead), Bob Schneider, Kirk, <--- Both still in the area
Butch Bauer - just put together my GC1 on Sunday

I was at River City when Grady Mathews came in and played JR in straight pool, all the action going on that with the Dan A and Jerry and all the other side bets.

Mike lives near me in NC

Hojokid33

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
in search of players from years gone by. heard of jr passing but to anyone who played at winners in the 90s think back. i remember seeing jr there all the time. carnes and richie d would battle there all the time. mike cherio would always have side action when not at the track, lol purtorican mike,richie the mover, big brad, rossi norris,mark sos , sam sidoti, the money man glen, i personally watched anton take 4000.00 from leroy hoard. phenomanal stroke that guy 7 rail draw shots lol all kinda crazy..... anyone have stories?????

The only players in that list that could play and compete with the top tier when they were playing was JR, and Ralph. The rest played good locally and that was it. When road players came through town very rarely would they ever play top notch road players , Kenny k played real good 1 pocket and would match up, but the rest of that list very rarely matched up, heck myself and a couple people still around played more road players then that list. I can only speak from about 2003 and on though. Good to see some Cleveland stories though.

dietz

Registered
Mike lives near me in NC

I talked to Kirk and Wally and they told me that he came into town back some years ago, sorry I missed him... Would like to get some of that money he still owes me..LOL

I made a cue with him when I was working with him and Tony but it was never finished off. I just sent it off to be finished after 20 years of it sitting in a case, can't wait to get it in my hands.

mnsneakypete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I took some lessons from Angelo Ramos back in 96/97. He seemed like a strong player at the time. I moved away shortly after that. While there seemed to be strong players in C-town, I later moved to the Dayton-Cincy area and found that it was loaded with champions.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Going way back to the days of Buddy Wallace, Chuck Morgan, Herbie Cue and Marshall Kasoff. Do any of these names ring a bell?

Hojokid33

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Going way back to the days of Buddy Wallace, Chuck Morgan, Herbie Cue and Marshall Kasoff. Do any of these names ring a bell?

Chuck Morgan does, but that was way back then, before my time, his nephew I believe plays here locally in tap leagues and such

NickCasey

Registered
YES those do ring a bell for sure lol hippodrome downtown danny veghs place and for those that remember buckeye billiards down the street from roman chariot awesome days

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes

Yes all but Kasolf, Geesh you know everybody.
Herbie Cue had a Poolroom for a short while. It was up a flight of steps in downtown Bedford. All 8 ft. Centennial's .

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never

I never went to a place called the Hilltop but the stories I hear about that place are great. If anyone has any I loved to hear some. Players like Joe Salazar even came up.

Two more Clevenders, Mike Ruffo and a Rich Letskie.

Frankenstroke

2 Gus Szamboti cues
Silver Member
The Velvet Rail.
Tommy Parker. Mark Mario.

Danny Vegh's.
Black 1 pocket players.
Ronnie "White Hat".
"King".

dietz

Registered
Butch Bauer (JT Billiards) & (part owner in the Velvet Rail) was just telling me about some great Hilltop stories. Guess Big Brad had asked Bob Schneider to play once and didn't have the money that Bob was willing to play for so they almost ended up in a fist fight. More to the story but to much to go into.