Derby City One Pocket

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just read the rules for the DCC one pocket event.

It looks like they keep shooting if they make a ball on the break, as opposed to re racking.

Does anyone know for sure?

Wybrook

A. Wheeler
Silver Member
Pretty sure you keep shooting..

There is no way to make a ball on the break unless you hit it poorly.

People will argue you can do it, but its not true.
Nothing is dead in a 15 ball rack to a particular corner.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty sure you keep shooting..

There is no way to make a ball on the break unless you hit it poorly.

People will argue you can do it, but its not true.
Nothing is dead in a 15 ball rack to a particular corner.
Really?? If back corner ball is just a tiny bit unfrozen it goes. Seen it happen a bunch. They should re-rack but its not my call to make.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Yes, you keep shooting. To my recollection, it has always been that way at the Derby.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
Pretty sure this is done because opponent racks for you. If a Ball falls on the break, it's the guy racking that screwed up.....plain and simple. Also keeps the game moving.

Rack your own is a whole different ballgame.

edit: Derby is rack your own, which is silly for this.

Last edited:

Wybrook

A. Wheeler
Silver Member
Really?? If back corner ball is just a tiny bit unfrozen it goes. Seen it happen a bunch. They should re-rack but its not my call to make.

Then please set it up and break.. Keep track of how many times it goes..

You also have the right to inspect your opponents rack.

There are so many ball interactions going on in a one pocket break that a little gap there doesn't do anything...on a consistent basis.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just read the rules for the DCC one pocket event.

It looks like they keep shooting if they make a ball on the break, as opposed to re racking.

Does anyone know for sure?

Always been: keep shooting. I know because last year I was hill-hill and the udder guy made a ball on the break, ran six or seven, and then put me in a death trap.

SH.

Oh, and to the guy who thinks he can make a ball on the break consistently because of a gap: I will wager a steak and lobster dinner at the DCC that that is not so. Come get it :)

Lou Figueroa

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny thing about statistics; playing a race to 3. I break 2 times. I make a ball on the break both times. I have just down it 100% in my opponents eye's. May not do it again in the trnmnt.

I play rerack but I mainly play a guy who kick breaks and I do make a ball on the break occasionally.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw Tony Chohan make a ball on the break 8 out of 10 games playing Danny Smith a high stakes match. :eek:

Just seems like certain tables break funny sometimes.Could be a number of things causing it.

2nd set Danny refused to play unless they played rerack rule :)

I do think it is good to play the rerack rule in short race events.

Last edited:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then please set it up and break.. Keep track of how many times it goes..

You also have the right to inspect your opponents rack.

There are so many ball interactions going on in a one pocket break that a little gap there doesn't do anything...on a consistent basis.
Id love to see some Dr Dave studies on this because every action has a predictable result and its been pointed out Trex made 8 out of 10 , the odds of pure random would be astronomical

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is an interesting thread, because I was gambling with someone recently and we play re rack if you make one on the break.

But when I made one for him, it counted. (yeah, I splashed the rack)

Trying to figure that one out.

Thanks for any thoughts.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw Tony Chohan make a ball on the break 8 out of 10 games playing Danny Smith a high stakes match. :eek:

Just seems like certain tables break funny sometimes.Could be a number of things causing it.

2nd set Danny refused to play unless they played rerack rule :)

I do think it is good to play the rerack rule in short race events.

I know I've made a ball on the break several times in a session and of course had it done to me. It just happens sometimes. I do know that if it occurs to me more than once in a session I'm vigorously rubbing the cloth in the rack area or switching triangles. That will usually put an end to it.

Lou Figueroa

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is an interesting thread, because I was gambling with someone recently and we play re rack if you make one on the break.

Thanks for any thoughts.

I don't play very often but I never thought about that situation as I have never made a ball for my opponent. But next time I will be sure to specify that ANY ball on the break is a rerack. You must have broke really bad to make one for your opponent though!! LOL

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My introduction to serious one pocket came one expo years back. It was Sunday n a buddy told me a game was being made to be played at markleys(10 mins away) and asked if I wanted in. Of course even tho I knew neither player or anything about one pocket I still jumped in cuz I wasn’t ready for my expo to be over. Anyway I’m betting 500$ a set on stony stone and he’s playing some guy named whitey. Long story short they were playing keep shooting n Stoney made a ball at least 50% of the time over the course of three sets. Needless to say I was certainly glad I was betting on the guy making a ball on his break cuz even to a complete novice I could see it was a huge advantage. And yea Stoney ended up winning and made me 1000$ after we jacked the last set so my point is I dropped him off at his hotel after and asked him about the break and he said he was playing to break and ball in and he tried explaining it but like I said I was a complete one pocket beginner and it was like 10 years so I forget what he said but anyway I also agree in a race to 3 it’s such an overwhelming advantage that I think it’s ridiculous not to rerack: my whole reason for loving onepocket is the fact you have a opportunity to defend yourself no matter what(aka no break n run)

hotcues

Biggest Edwin Reyes Fan
Silver Member
On a Diamond table if you turn the rack a bit the corner ball goes. So always check the rack!!! There is a little trick to hitting it right.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Thanks for any thoughts.

I don't play very often but I never thought about that situation as I have never made a ball for my opponent. But next time I will be sure to specify that ANY ball on the break is a rerack. You must have broke really bad to make one for your opponent though!! LOL
I've got a pretty good imagination....but I can't imagine dropping a ball in my opponent's
pocket on the break.:scratchhead:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got a pretty good imagination....but I can't imagine dropping a ball in my opponent's
pocket on the break.:scratchhead:

That is bizarre to me. I have done it more often than I want to acknowledge.

Smack that 2nd ball and miss the first completely...aaaand yer usually fooked.