Visiting US

TheRanger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm visiting the US around Setptember\October and am going to travel around.

Can anyone suggest the best pool rooms i should visit and the best tournaments around this time of year?

I'm looking to pack in as much as possible in 3-4 week visit

Thanks.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The US is very large... this is like saying you are visiting Europe and want pool recommendations! Clearly if you are going to be in Krakow then a recommendation about Lisbon pool halls wouldn't be much help ;)

I'm sure people will be happy to give suggestions if you know which states and cities you plan to visit.

GoPlayPool

Search. Find. Play.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Our App makes it convenient for people like your self.
Zip Code search,
Table count and size search too.

Check it out and hope you enjoy your visit here! :)

The GoPlayPool App and/or web/mobile
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

TheRanger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The US is very large... this is like saying you are visiting Europe and want pool recommendations! Clearly if you are going to be in Krakow then a recommendation about Lisbon pool halls wouldn't be much help ;)

I'm sure people will be happy to give suggestions if you know which states and cities you plan to visit.

I have no plan on where i want to go, other than that i might end up at the US Open at the end of my trip. hopefully play a few tournaments leading up to it

TheRanger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our App makes it convenient for people like your self.
Zip Code search,
Table count and size search too.

Check it out and hope you enjoy your visit here! :)

The GoPlayPool App and/or web/mobile
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

cool, thanks :thumbup:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Can anyone suggest the best pool rooms i should visit and the best tournaments around this time of year?

Thanks.

If you will be visiting Boston area, send me a PM. I have met up with a few travelers from overseas through AZB before.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
General searches, for example in Google Maps (search term "billiard parlor") will find lots of businesses that have pool tables but are completely lacking in any real interest in the game. There are some chains like "Dave and Buster's" that cater to the very casual player (unless they've changed since the last time I was in one) and are not worth visiting. You could just go from Google maps and stop at every room along your way and ask for local recommendations if you don't find quite what you are looking for. If banjo music starts, move on.

Regional pool magazines are one way to find interesting rooms. Here is a site that has magazines for three regions in the US. Each magazine has weekly/monthly schedules of tournaments. In addition, there are ads from the more active rooms that have tournaments and leagues.

http://www.onthebreaknews.com/

There is a tournament calendar on the AZB front page http://www.azbilliards.com/

There are five or six good rooms in the New York City area, including Steinway and Carom Cafe.

Stieinway, NYC
Carom Cafe, NYC
Amsterdam Billiards, NYC
Sandcastle Billiards, Edison, New Jersey
Fargo Billiards -- Fargo, North Dakota -- perhaps the nicest room in America but a little out of the way
Hard Times -- Bellflower, California and Sacramento, California
Jointed Cue -- Sacramento, California
California Billiards -- Fremont, California
Family Billiards -- San Francisco, California
Greenleaf's -- Richmond, Virginia
Diamond Billiards -- Midlothian (near Richmond), Virginia
Freezer's Ice House -- Tempe, Arizona (near Phoenix)
Kolby's Corner -- also in Tempe
Griff's -- Las Vegas, Nevada
Chris's -- Chicago, Illinois
Q-Master -- Virginia Beach, Virginia

There is also the site http://www.findsnooker.com that attempts to list all of the snooker tables in the US. Usually if a pool hall has a snooker table it caters to the more serious player.

Last edited:

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks.

The US Open is in October. Beyond that, depends on where you are going. If you pass through St Louis, let me know and I'll take you to a couple places.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Did you plan to play in some of the tournaments or are you just watching? For the past several years the American 14.1 Championships have been just before the US Open 9-ball and about two hours up the road.

TheRanger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you plan to play in some of the tournaments or are you just watching? For the past several years the American 14.1 Championships have been just before the US Open 9-ball and about two hours up the road.

i plan on playing. thanks for listing all of your recommended rooms :thumbup2::thumbup2:

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott Frost’s pool hall seems pretty cool.

Freezer’s Ice House.

Freezer's is cool. Do yourself a favor and avoid Phoenix in September. There's nothing to see here besides that pool room. Find a nice room in a nice part of the country.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thanks.

The September/October time frame was pretty heavy with pro tournaments in the US in 2017, but dates are not necessarily consistent from year to year and many dates for 2018 have not yet been announced. Here are some of the 2017 events in that time frame:

September, 2017
- Turning Stone 9-Ball, Verona, NY
- Texas Open 9-Ball, Round Rock, TX
- Carom Room Fall Classic 10-Ball, Beloit, WI

October, 2017
- World 14.1 Tournament, NYC
- Great Dismal Swamp 9-Ball, Elizabeth City, NC
- American Straight Pool Championship, Midlothian, VA
- US Open 9-Ball Championship, Norfolk, VA
- World Pool Series 8-Ball, NYC (into Nov.)

Here's the AzB calendar showing events throughout 2017: http://www.azbilliards.com/calendar/2017/

Last edited:

beetle

Do I bug you?
Silver Member
Wow. You just moved to the Phoenix area and that's already your assessment???

FYI, to the OP...I strongly disagree!

Freezer's is cool. Do yourself a favor and avoid Phoenix in September. There's nothing to see here besides that pool room. Find a nice room in a nice part of the country.