Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Cue & Case Gallery
Reload this Page ✦:✦ AZB 2013 Cue of the Year *RESULTS* ✦:✦
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#16)
Badbeat13
AzB Silver Member

Badbeat13 has a reputation beyond reputeBadbeat13 has a reputation beyond reputeBadbeat13 has a reputation beyond reputeBadbeat13 has a reputation beyond reputeBadbeat13 has a reputation beyond reputeBadbeat13 has a reputation beyond reputeBadbeat13 has a reputation beyond reputeBadbeat13 has a reputation beyond reputeBadbeat13 has a reputation beyond reputeBadbeat13 has a reputation beyond reputeBadbeat13 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

02-08-2014, 05:16 PM

Thanks to everyone involved, especially Jamie for making it happen. Congrats to Thomas Wayne for the 2013 COTY. The other cue makers have nothing to hang their heads about, there were some damn fine cues entered and only one could win.

Jerry Knoxville

Also known as Cod Lock and First Lt.of the world famous Lock Society.

Old
  (#17)
blackpearlmaker
Caliper User......
blackpearlmaker has a reputation beyond reputeblackpearlmaker has a reputation beyond reputeblackpearlmaker has a reputation beyond reputeblackpearlmaker has a reputation beyond reputeblackpearlmaker has a reputation beyond reputeblackpearlmaker has a reputation beyond reputeblackpearlmaker has a reputation beyond reputeblackpearlmaker has a reputation beyond reputeblackpearlmaker has a reputation beyond reputeblackpearlmaker has a reputation beyond reputeblackpearlmaker has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

02-10-2014, 06:43 AM

Congrats to Mr. Thomas Wayne, truly one of kind cue sir. and special thanks to Jaime for the great effort as always..

“Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.”

W.C.

Old
  (#18)
cueman
AzB Silver Member

cueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

02-10-2014, 11:22 AM

My hat is off to Thomas Wayne. Well done!

He had three cues on there and one of them still won. Having a brand vote split up three ways and one of them winning makes it even more impressive.

Old
  (#19)
Cuemaster98
AzB Silver Member
Cuemaster98 has a reputation beyond reputeCuemaster98 has a reputation beyond reputeCuemaster98 has a reputation beyond reputeCuemaster98 has a reputation beyond reputeCuemaster98 has a reputation beyond reputeCuemaster98 has a reputation beyond reputeCuemaster98 has a reputation beyond reputeCuemaster98 has a reputation beyond reputeCuemaster98 has a reputation beyond reputeCuemaster98 has a reputation beyond reputeCuemaster98 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 3500
  Send a message via Skype™ to Cuemaster98 
02-10-2014, 02:23 PM

Here's the link to the thread, in case someone missed it like I did:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=346820

Duc Lam
Custom Cues and Tips
646-824-7092
dlam0718@gmail.com

"Learn to aim so you don't have to aim" Duc Lam.

"What a crazy world this is, life crushes humanity spirit and the only peace that I can find is but in a game of pool." Duc Lam.

Haley
Old
  (#20)
gforces1911
AzB Silver Member
gforces1911 has a reputation beyond reputegforces1911 has a reputation beyond reputegforces1911 has a reputation beyond reputegforces1911 has a reputation beyond reputegforces1911 has a reputation beyond reputegforces1911 has a reputation beyond reputegforces1911 has a reputation beyond reputegforces1911 has a reputation beyond reputegforces1911 has a reputation beyond reputegforces1911 has a reputation beyond reputegforces1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Haley - 02-10-2014, 08:46 PM

I should have entered my Haley. I need to take some photos of it.

Great job Congrats
Old
  (#21)
Onecrazyplayer
AzB Silver Member
Onecrazyplayer has a reputation beyond reputeOnecrazyplayer has a reputation beyond reputeOnecrazyplayer has a reputation beyond reputeOnecrazyplayer has a reputation beyond reputeOnecrazyplayer has a reputation beyond reputeOnecrazyplayer has a reputation beyond reputeOnecrazyplayer has a reputation beyond reputeOnecrazyplayer has a reputation beyond reputeOnecrazyplayer has a reputation beyond reputeOnecrazyplayer has a reputation beyond reputeOnecrazyplayer has a reputation beyond repute

Great job Congrats - 02-16-2014, 02:07 AM

Like to say thank for who ever voted for the Python Cue but this rookie may not have the CNC set but but the winner did and it is a very nice lay out and congrats to you sir beautiful work. I got my old school inlay machine up and running so I'm bringing something strong this year.

4 Point Custom Cues

Playing cue: Mine 2013 Python / Mike Webb Custom
Break cue: Mine
Other cues: Mike Webb full butterfly custom & full ebony custom
Black Pearl custom
Meucci ultra piston 4
Jimmy Rempe II

"In the pool hall, nobody cares about how old or young you are...what color your skin is, or how much money you got in your pocket. It's about how you move".

Old
  (#22)
Thomas Wayne
Banned
Thomas Wayne has a reputation beyond reputeThomas Wayne has a reputation beyond reputeThomas Wayne has a reputation beyond reputeThomas Wayne has a reputation beyond reputeThomas Wayne has a reputation beyond reputeThomas Wayne has a reputation beyond reputeThomas Wayne has a reputation beyond reputeThomas Wayne has a reputation beyond reputeThomas Wayne has a reputation beyond reputeThomas Wayne has a reputation beyond reputeThomas Wayne has a reputation beyond repute

02-16-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onecrazyplayer View Post
Like to say thank for who ever voted for the Python Cue but this rookie may not have the CNC set but but the winner did and it is a very nice lay out and congrats to you sir beautiful work. I got my old school inlay machine up and running so I'm bringing something strong this year.
Hmmm... your signature line reads:

"In the pool hall, nobody cares about how old or young you are...what color your skin is, or how much money you got in your pocket. It's about how you move".

Have you ever considered that the exact same logic can be applied to cuemaking? I have little patience with cuemakers incapable of affording or learning to use CNC who pretend that using a pantograph - usually with CNC-cut patterns - is somehow more "pure". It's not. We both have the exact same chore to accomplish - cut male parts and female pockets that fit together.

Except for that one variation in technique the rest of the cue building process is identical between us - we both have to do the other 95% of making the cue and we both will do it pretty much using the exact same processes. The ONLY difference is that I have more precision and more versatility available to me in doing the inlay work - which usually yields in more interesting results.

So let's take your signature line and apply it to cuemaking. It would read something like this:

"In the cue-buying marketplace, nobody cares about how you've accomplished your inlay work... It's about the end result - the finished cue itself."

TW

Old
  (#23)
Onecrazyplayer
AzB Silver Member
Onecrazyplayer has a reputation beyond reputeOnecrazyplayer has a reputation beyond reputeOnecrazyplayer has a reputation beyond reputeOnecrazyplayer has a reputation beyond reputeOnecrazyplayer has a reputation beyond reputeOnecrazyplayer has a reputation beyond reputeOnecrazyplayer has a reputation beyond reputeOnecrazyplayer has a reputation beyond reputeOnecrazyplayer has a reputation beyond reputeOnecrazyplayer has a reputation beyond reputeOnecrazyplayer has a reputation beyond repute

02-16-2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Wayne View Post
Hmmm... your signature line reads:

Have you ever considered that the exact same logic can be applied to cuemaking? I have little patience with cuemakers incapable of affording or learning to use CNC who pretend that using a pantograph - usually with CNC-cut patterns - is somehow more "pure". It's not. We both have the exact same chore to accomplish - cut male parts and female pockets that fit together.

Except for that one variation in technique the rest of the cue building process is identical between us - we both have to do the other 95% of making the cue and we both will do it pretty much using the exact same processes. The ONLY difference is that I have more precision and more versatility available to me in doing the inlay work - which usually yields in more interesting results.

So let's take your signature line and apply it to cuemaking. It would read something like this:

"In the cue-buying marketplace, nobody cares about how you've accomplished your inlay work... It's about the end result - the finished cue itself."

TW
Well put.
But in the long run it's still just a high tech program doing the hard stuff my friend. And I'm sure if your CNC went down I'm sure you could do just as good??? But you are right building the cue is the work and in doing that you really only had a 5% edge over me according to your statement above. In that case most builders as well. I may not know much about you I may not know much about your cues but I do have to say to come after a nobody cue builder that put a smile on my face. Because that was my 1st real cue #1 on my own bring yours out! You have one thing on me Sir. It's not money not equipment it's TIME! And I have a lot of it to grow and learn. So in closing congrats on your win it is a beautiful cue and see you this year.
And just remember smile it's all good.

4 Point Custom Cues

Black Pearl custom
Meucci ultra piston 4
Jimmy Rempe II

Old
  (#24)
Thomas Wayne
Banned
Thomas Wayne has a reputation beyond reputeThomas Wayne has a reputation beyond reputeThomas Wayne has a reputation beyond reputeThomas Wayne has a reputation beyond reputeThomas Wayne has a reputation beyond reputeThomas Wayne has a reputation beyond reputeThomas Wayne has a reputation beyond reputeThomas Wayne has a reputation beyond reputeThomas Wayne has a reputation beyond reputeThomas Wayne has a reputation beyond reputeThomas Wayne has a reputation beyond repute

02-16-2014, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Well put.
But in the long run it's still just a high tech program doing the hard stuff my friend. And I'm sure if your CNC went down I'm sure you could do just as good???
"High Tech"? Yeah, it's high tech... except for one thing you haven't considered. I built all my CNC machinery myself, much of it more than 20 years ago. My first one came before there was ANY CNC machine available for less than $150k+, and no multi-axis stepper/servo controller available for less than $10k - so I wired it myself from single-axis drivers (conveyer belt controllers) with the help of some very smart college students who were into the fledgling field of robotics.

Before that I used pantographs, and my very first one of those I built myself - 5:1 ratio and hand-formed patterns.

Before THAT I bought pre-cut MOP inlays and cut them into the cues using a hand-held Dremel router and X-acto knives. So there's a few cuemakers still alive who have worked at the same low-tech level I have, but none lower tech.

I understand the syndrome of a cuemaker who is only capable of pantograph work feeling like CNC machinery is kind of "cheating", and to a "hand inlayer" a pantograph must seem like cheating, too. But none of it is, and with the cheap and easy-to-build CNC equipment that's available today the only reason I can imagine for any cuemaker to NOT pursue CNC is they're either scared of it or too broke, or both.

Quote:
But you are right building the cue is the work and in doing that you really only had a 5% edge over me according to your statement above. In that case most builders as well. I may not know much about you I may not know much about your cues but I do have to say to come after a nobody cue builder that put a smile on my face.
"Come after"? Give me a break. I'm disputing the bullshit concept that pantograph inlay work is somehow more "pure" or "noble" than CNC work. I would dispute such a concept with anyone - I never heard of you, so it didn't actually dawn on me that you even were a cuemaker until you said so just now. Jim Stadum put it best when he said, "The only truly hand-made cue is one that the maker carves out from start to finish with a pocket knife. After that we're all just using machinery of one type or another."

Quote:
Because that was my 1st real cue #1 on my own bring yours out! You have one thing on me Sir. It's not money not equipment it's TIME! And I have a lot of it to grow and learn. So in closing congrats on your win it is a beautiful cue and see you this year.
And just remember smile it's all good.
Actually, I've posted photos of my first 4-point on this forum a number of times. It predates most of the early inlay work I did on cues, with the exception of a few "sneaky petes" I dropped some MOP guitar inlays into.

And I'm looking forward to seeing the "something strong" you're bringing this year, now that you've got your old school inlay machine up and running. Who are you having CNC the patterns for you?

TW
(PS: I don't make a point of bringing this up much, but I also collect cues - and with the exception of one Jeff Prather cue I bought in 1993 all my cues are as "old school" as it gets. And most are pretty damn old to boot. I love old-school cues, but I'm driven to create more original and interesting pieces in my own career.)

Last edited by Thomas Wayne; 02-17-2014 at 12:37 AM.

Old
  (#25)
Onecrazyplayer
AzB Silver Member

02-17-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Wayne View Post
"High Tech"? Yeah, it's high tech... except for one thing you haven't considered. I built all my CNC machinery myself, much of it more than 20 years ago. My first one came before there was ANY CNC machine available for less than $150k+, and no multi-axis stepper/servo controller available for less than $10k - so I wired it myself from single-axis drivers (conveyer belt controllers) with the help of some very smart college students who were into the fledgling field of robotics.

Before that I used pantographs, and my very first one of those I built myself - 5:1 ratio and hand-formed patterns.

Before THAT I bought pre-cut MOP inlays and cut them into the cues using a hand-held Dremel router and X-acto knives. So there's a few cuemakers still alive who have worked at the same low-tech level I have, but none lower tech.

I understand the syndrome of a cuemaker who is only capable of pantograph work feeling like CNC machinery is kind of "cheating", and to a "hand inlayer" a pantograph must seem like cheating, too. But none of it is, and with the cheap and easy-to-build CNC equipment that's available today the only reason I can imagine for any cuemaker to NOT pursue CNC is they're either scared of it or too broke, or both.

"Come after"? Give me a break. I'm disputing the bullshit concept that pantograph inlay work is somehow more "pure" or "noble" than CNC work. I would dispute such a concept with anyone - I never heard of you, so it didn't actually dawn on me that you even were a cuemaker until you said so just now. Jim Stadum put it best when he said, "The only truly hand-made cue is one that the maker carves out from start to finish with a pocket knife. After that we're all just using machinery of one type or another."

Actually, I've posted photos of my first 4-point on this forum a number of times. It predates most of the early inlay work I did on cues, with the exception of a few "sneaky petes" I dropped some MOP guitar inlays into.

And I'm looking forward to seeing the "something strong" you're bringing this year, now that you've got your old school inlay machine up and running. Who are you having CNC the patterns for you?

TW
(PS: I don't make a point of bringing this up much, but I also collect cues - and with the exception of one Jeff Prather cue I bought in 1993 all my cues are as "old school" as it gets. And most are pretty damn old to boot. I love old-school cues, but I'm driven to create more original and interesting pieces in my own career.)

Your in box is filled Sir.

4 Point Custom Cues

Black Pearl custom
Meucci ultra piston 4
Jimmy Rempe II

Old
  (#26)
Thomas Wayne
Banned

02-17-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Your in box is filled Sir.
Just cleared some of it.

TW

Tw
Old
  (#27)
nick serdula
AzB Gold Member
nick serdula has a reputation beyond reputenick serdula has a reputation beyond reputenick serdula has a reputation beyond reputenick serdula has a reputation beyond reputenick serdula has a reputation beyond reputenick serdula has a reputation beyond reputenick serdula has a reputation beyond reputenick serdula has a reputation beyond reputenick serdula has a reputation beyond reputenick serdula has a reputation beyond reputenick serdula has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Tw - 02-24-2014, 01:24 PM

Instead of I you should use Thomas Wayne! Everywhere say Thomas Wayne instead of I. It would sound and read with an edge. Kind of like Moses Malone talking about Moses Malone!
Maybe if you read any future post after doing that you would think twice about sharing.
You are better at Cue building that talking about Mr Thomas.
Congratulations,
Double up next year!
Nick

Old
  (#28)
mia
AzB Silver Member
mia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond reputemia has a reputation beyond repute

02-24-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick serdula View Post
Instead of I you should use Thomas Wayne! Everywhere say Thomas Wayne instead of I. It would sound and read with an edge. Kind of like Moses Malone talking about Moses Malone!
Maybe if you read any future post after doing that you would think twice about sharing.
You are better at Cue building that talking about Mr Thomas.
Congratulations,
Double up next year!
Nick
Nick,
Some advice for you...
Never, ever give ANYONE lessons or advice on communicating until you yourself can construct sentences that actually make sense AND your own thoughts and ideas don't reek of idiocy.

Just sayin'.

Old
  (#29)
hillscues
American Craftsmanship
hillscues has a reputation beyond reputehillscues has a reputation beyond reputehillscues has a reputation beyond reputehillscues has a reputation beyond reputehillscues has a reputation beyond reputehillscues has a reputation beyond reputehillscues has a reputation beyond reputehillscues has a reputation beyond reputehillscues has a reputation beyond reputehillscues has a reputation beyond reputehillscues has a reputation beyond repute

08-05-2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Tattoo View Post
congratulations to TW, hats up.
Darrin's Cues are not only looking good they play are damn nice.
I wish.........
@Jamie, thanks for the nice Job again, much much appreciated
Ralf
Thanks Ralf, let me party with them girls and i will build u a smoken cue..lol I'm for real.........

Cue of the
Old
  (#30)
marty377
AzB Bronze Member
marty377 is on a distinguished road

Cue of the - 11-18-2014, 05:02 PM

When can you enter a cue for the cue of the year competition ?

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: