Leon Sly cue question

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am currently using a Leon Sly cue and would like to know how others would describe the butt and shaft tapers. I am not looking for any bashing in this thread. The cue I own is certainly well constructed and a very nice cue. I just want to hear what other Leon Sly cue owners past or present have to say. Thanks!

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am currently using a Leon Sly cue and would like to know how others would describe the butt and shaft tapers. I am not looking for any bashing in this thread. The cue I own is certainly well constructed and a very nice cue. I just want to hear what other Leon Sly cue owners past or present have to say. Thanks!

I had a Sly sneaky years ago. I never got the chance to play with it, because I turned around and sold it...Probably a mistake. I will say that the cue felt very good in the hand, and the balance was pleasing.

Baron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really good cues. I had a purpleheart sneaky pete that hit great and had a really long pro taper and great balance. Super fun to play with. In fact, I should probably give Leon a call and pick another one of those babies up.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Let me see if I've got this right. I'm not bashing, just asking.
You apparently are asking what other Sly owners think of their cue before you can make a determination of your own.
You either like it or you don't. What could it possibly matter what someone else thinks ?
If you have a concern, please state it. Beating around the bush eventually leads you back to where you started.

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member

You apparently are asking what other Sly owners think of their cue before you can make a determination of your own.

"Ok fellas, do I like this cue or not, give it to me straight"

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Lol. That's a little more direct of an approach but that's pretty much the gist of it.
Thanx.

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You either like it or you don't. What could it possibly matter what someone else thinks ?
If you have a concern, please state it. Beating around the bush eventually leads you back to where you started.

I already know what I think of the cue. I'm interested in hearing other peoples impressions without them being colored by mine. I'm Currently the Sly is what I'm using but I'm certain it's not going to be the cue I stick with. I've had a long layoff and I'm increasingly getting back into the game.

The last cue that was my player was a Southwest. Since I've come back I'm looking for my new player and have auditioned a few as follows. 1. Frey Sneaky: I liked it and I probably could have become quite happy with it. It's now in my team mates hands. 2. Blackcreek Sneaky: Very nice cue but I find the handle is a little fat and the shaft taper is a bit stiff but I could get use to the taper. 3. Buss Sneaky it was the only cue I had left but didn't like the taper especially after another cue maker altered it. I then had Josh Treadway make shafts for it. My brother immediately took a liking to it. It's his now. With my limited playing of it I find the shaft tapers are exceptional and may go about finding a Treadway if the cue I have heading my way doesn't do it. It's a Bluegrass. We'll see. I certainly have the ability to decide what i like and don't like it.

Last edited:

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
I hope that you find what you're looking for.
The wording of your orig. post suggested that you wanted others opinions before you made yours.
Now we know. Good Luck

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope that you find what you're looking for.
The wording of your orig. post suggested that you wanted others opinions before you made yours.
Now we know. Good Luck

Thought I'd clear it up. With the Sly I find the butt on the slim side and more so than I like. I don't know if this is typical of his cues. Also I prefer a firmer hit than his shaft taper offers. It is very nice cue though and probably make someone very happy to own it.

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I already know what I think of the cue. I'm interested in hearing other peoples impressions without them being colored by mine. I'm Currently the Sly is what I'm using but I'm certain it's not going to be the cue I stick with. I've had a long layoff and I'm increasingly getting back into the game.

The last cue that was my player was a Southwest. Since I've come back I'm looking for my new player and have auditioned a few as follows. 1. Frey Sneaky: I liked it and I probably could have become quite happy with it. It's now in my team mates hands. 2. Blackcreek Sneaky: Very nice cue but I find the handle is a little fat and the shaft taper is a bit stiff but I could get use to the taper. 3. Buss Sneaky it was the only cue I had left but didn't like the taper especially after another cue maker altered it. I then had Josh Treadway make shafts for it. My brother immediately took a liking to it. It's his now. With my limited playing of it I find the shaft tapers are exceptional and may go about finding a Treadway if the cue I have heading my way doesn't do it. It's a Bluegrass. We'll see. I certainly have the ability to decide what i like and don't like it.

Interesting development in my search. Wanting to give the Sly a fair shake I used it exclusively for 5 weeks and increasingly felt like it wasn't the right fit. Yesterday I took out the Blackcreek since it was what I was using before I got the Sly. Instantly it felt right, it's definitely more comfortable than the Sly for me and delivers a stiffer hit which, I prefer. The Bluegrass sneaky showed up today. It's interesting and I think it'll be stiffer hitting than the Blackcreek.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mine is not better than any other cue. I did not like dealing with LS. Sorry I bought it. There it is.

Last edited:

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sold it at the pool hall for a steal last night. I must of been in a great mood. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the Sly and beautifully built. Unfortunately it just didn't work for me. The Blue Grass I just acquired seems to be exactly what I've been looking for.