REAL closet finds...

Underachiever

Registered
Picked up a nice, straight, mostly unblemished Viking cue with subtle points for $10... Came with a decent case, too.
But, no finds that are going to substantially change my financial future, haha.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Picked up a nice, straight, mostly unblemished Viking cue with subtle points for $10... Came with a decent case, too.
But, no finds that are going to substantially change my financial future, haha.

No, but that still is a dandy find. When I lived in Charleston, WV, a buddy of mine hit all the pawn shops, maybe daily, to get the deals. Like you, he didnt get a life changing find, but he got PLENTY of good deals. It was like his hobby.

Sounds like your find gives you a great opportunity to give a young player a great starter cue. :thumbup:

Ken

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
In a small mountain town an hour west of where I live. At a Habitat for Humanity store.
I went in and noticed someone donated an eight foot furniture style pool table. On the table were ten cues, eight were one piece Dufferins(no spliced points) and two Sneaky Petes. I was able to get both for $10. One was a like new Meucci black band sneaky and the other was a Hubler in good shape but the shaft was warped. I took out the nylon insert and fit it into a vintage shaft from and old Tru Balance cue I had scraped earlier.

Both cues play good and I still get giddy thinking about the deal.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In a small mountain town an hour west of where I live. At a Habitat for Humanity store.
I went in and noticed someone donated an eight foot furniture style pool table. On the table were ten cues, eight were one piece Dufferins(no spliced points) and two Sneaky Petes. I was able to get both for $10. One was a like new Meucci black band sneaky and the other was a Hubler in good shape but the shaft was warped. I took out the nylon insert and fit it into a vintage shaft from and old Tru Balance cue I had scraped earlier.

Both cues play good and I still get giddy thinking about the deal.

So glad you rescued the Huebler properly. :thumbup:

Makes me nuts when I see an old one with a brass insert shaft. :(

And yes...that is a great closet find. :)

Young William

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found a Tim Scruggs bar cue in a box of full of house cues that came from a pool room that closed up. The cue has a cocobolo joint and butt cap. About half of the butt cap was missing, it cracked off. They sold me the cue for $5 because it was broke. I think they thought they were getting over on me but I knew what I was buying.
I called Tim Scruggs and asked how much it would be to fix it. He wanted over $100. At the time I was 14 and didn’t have that much to spend. I meet a local cue guy less than later and he made a brand new cocobolo butt cap for $40.

picture.php

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently purchased 4 cues that cost me $415 shipped to my house. One was old Adams Superstar Series Allen Hopkins 4 pointer, a Pechauer JPUSA, a '70s model Viking V or H240, and an '80s model Dixie cue plain jane. Already have the Viking sold for $400!

I used to be an avid pawnshopper as well. some of my finds:
*1980 Schick plain jane in It's George 1X2 with "Schick" embossed on side of case - $97
*Brunswick Hoppe Pro - $15
*2 Palmer 3rd catalog Model 10 cues at different pawnshops about 3 weeks apart - $125 and $115, one in an old Viking tube case
*Tad plain jane butt with 2 JW shafts - $110
*Adams Cicero Murphy 4 pointer - $30
*Vintage Mali plain jane in Centennial 1X2 -$53
*Huebler custom shop rose - $185
*1986 SW 6 pointer - $815

Last edited:

Toxictom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got my Palmer Model H from a closet of sorts. In the mid-70's I was working in the Prudhoe Bay oilfield on Alaska's North Slope. One of the cook's helpers freaked out because of the isolation or something and decided after a week or so he needed to leave, like right now, next plane outa here. He hauled all his stuff down to the closet/room used to collect trash for the incinerator in the next room. I was working as a 19 y.o. dishwasher and the chef, Peter, came and told me I should go grab the pool cue the guy had tossed out. I went to the incinerator room and dug the original Palmer case out from under a few bags of trash and found it was empty. Peter went out and found the cue on the rack with the house cues and brought it to me. The hidden side of the story is that Peter the chef was gay and had a propensity for hiring "helpers" from the YMCA which is where he found this dude from NYC. I think those boys didn't got along as well as they'd hoped. LOL

Didn't know what I had until just a couple years ago.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a tremendous closet find but I just scored an NOS, still in the plastic, ostrich print Kelli case for less than pizza night costs me at my house. :thumbup:

The darn thing even smells new. :D Even my wife said it is "gorgeous". :thumbup:

AFAIK these cases were made by Bill McDaniel.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
+1 here, Ken. If all of us would take the time and make the effort, we could bring one new youth player into the fold (each), with his own cue as incentive and inspiration! The younger players are the future of our sport. The USA representatives for the Atlantic Cup this summer, which is in Europe this year, are being chosen as we speak. There are a great many talented and deserving players, both men and women. Choosing the team is a difficult task, shared among many judges. :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

No, but that still is a dandy find. When I lived in Charleston, WV, a buddy of mine hit all the pawn shops, maybe daily, to get the deals. Like you, he didnt get a life changing find, but he got PLENTY of good deals. It was like his hobby.

Sounds like your find gives you a great opportunity to give a young player a great starter cue. :thumbup:

Ken

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
+1 here, Ken. If all of us would take the time and make the effort, we could bring one new youth player into the fold (each), with his own cue as incentive and inspiration!
Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I gave my protege (I like to call him that) a Joss and a decent break cue and a 2x4 case. I taught him to play and he got into a league. He ended up being one of the better players by the end of his fist season. We still play occasionally but our work schedules don't mesh too well recently.

I recently picked up a Pechauer cue for a song. Never had one and am looking forward to trying it out. I'll probably sell it cheap...or give it away to a young player that needs it.

I have another cue I may do the same with. An import...sort of the quality of a Lucasi. Real inlays, like new, nice cue.

I like to help them learn to play, but I am no instructor. At least I can help them get started and offer them some competition as they get better. I also like to convey an appreciation of the equipment. I am still always surprised about how much players don't really know about their equipment.

I think owning a cue and appreciating it can really help a player get a good start.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bought an old Big G Gandy for $500 out of a house in Beverly Hills after the owner died, maybe 15 years ago. They threw in the cue rack and cues. I almost passed on it (the cues were old and filthy) but decided to take it anyway cause I liked the rack. It was a revolving Brunswick cue rack with Brunswick two piece cues and one Harvey Martin and one Hoppe. I sold the table for a grand, the cues turned out to be worth more. :D

ProZack

Zack's "On the Road" Cue Repair
Silver Member
21st Century Closet Finds!! Craigslist, Ebay, etc.

I have done Pretty Well with Looking through Craigslist and other Places.. I look at Old Table Listings, In Old Cue Racks, and other Places. Just this Month I have Found 2 Palmers and a Titleist. All needed work but for the Price you can't beat it.

At my Job is am able to have time to look Everyday!!

HERE ARE THE PICS OF LAST MONTH'S "CLOSET FINDS"

I got all cues for less than $200 Shipped!

Attachments

• received_10211235946431260.jpeg
    received_10211235946431260.jpeg
    174.8 KB · Views: 450
  • Screenshot_20170209-102724.jpg
    Screenshot_20170209-102724.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 473
  • received_1263408243750549.jpeg
    received_1263408243750549.jpeg
    13.1 KB · Views: 438

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a great thread.....loving all the stories.

Jay- I would love to have a Martin cue.

Ken

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have done Pretty Well with Looking through Craigslist and other Places.. I look at Old Table Listings, In Old Cue Racks, and other Places. Just this Month I have Found 2 Palmers and a Titleist. All needed work but for the Price you can't beat it.

At my Job is am able to have time to look Everyday!!

HERE ARE THE PICS OF LAST MONTH'S "CLOSET FINDS"

I got all cues for less than $200 Shipped!

Great cue sleuthing!

I do the same.

Zoom in on the pics of old tables for sale and see the cues that come with them.

Sometimes a cue is worth more than the table LOL!

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently purchased 4 cues that cost me $415 shipped to my house. One was old Adams Superstar Series Allen Hopkins 4 pointer, a Pechauer JPUSA, a '70s model Viking V or H240, and an '80s model Dixie cue plain jane. Already have the Viking sold for $400!

I used to be an avid pawnshopper as well. some of my finds:
*1980 Schick plain jane in It's George 1X2 with "Schick" embossed on side of case - $97
*Brunswick Hoppe Pro - $15
*2 Palmer 3rd catalog Model 10 cues at different pawnshops about 3 weeks apart - $125 and $115, one in an old Viking tube case
*Tad plain jane butt with 2 JW shafts - $110
*Adams Cicero Murphy 4 pointer - $30
*Vintage Mali plain jane in Centennial 1X2 -$53
*Huebler custom shop rose - $185
*1986 SW 6 pointer - $815

Good God man.

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never had a true closet find type situation, but have scored some deals cheap on CL and Goodwill. Still looking for my Big Name cue find!

-Two custom cases
-Super clean Mali
-Couple Unknown custom cues
-JW shaft
-Koo cue

tapatalk_1438009775057.jpeg

20160130_140321.jpg

20160130_134105.jpg

P3250682.jpg

20160130_134911.jpg

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never had a true closet find type situation, but have scored some deals cheap on CL and Goodwill. Still looking for my Big Name cue find!

-Two custom cases
-Super clean Mali
-Couple Unknown custom cues
-JW shaft
-Koo cue

View attachment 454632

View attachment 454634

View attachment 454635

View attachment 454636

View attachment 454638

Nice stash as well! You just gotta keep looking, although deals are harder to come by than they were 10 years ago. I saw ProZack picked up a Palmer and Black about a week ago here in Houston and I missed it! I don't have the luxury of sleuthing at work all day.

poolcrazy

Huebler Collector
Silver Member
Atic find in Berlin Germany

Heres a Cue I bought on German Ebay over 20 years ago
paid 85 US dollars for the cue, ive been offered a hell of a lot more than what I gave for the cue.....
the cue has over 20000 pieces of inlay in the butt and shaft.
The cue was built between the years of 1896 to 1905
cue was built by a cue builder named Norbert Wiess from Berlin Germany.
I also own the cue his grandson built some years later.

Attachments

• 183615_1560883311034_1011945_n.jpg
    183615_1560883311034_1011945_n.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 234
  • 189163_1560882551015_7414761_n.jpg
    189163_1560882551015_7414761_n.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 230
  • 183963_1560883071028_5097498_n.jpg
    183963_1560883071028_5097498_n.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 228
  • 183587_1560883911049_6703547_n.jpg
    183587_1560883911049_6703547_n.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 244
  • 190395_1560884271058_7167258_n.jpg
    190395_1560884271058_7167258_n.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 236

qfans

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HA cue

Buddy sent me a pic of a cue he bought at an estate sale and asked if I knew what an HA cue was? Great looking Scruggs !

Attachments

• IMG_0721.jpg
    IMG_0721.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 202