Magic Ball Rack

Wes Moran

The Crappy Cue Guy
Silver Member
Okay, so I'll make this quick and then if there are answers needed I'll come back to it.

I recently purchased the Magic Ball Rack in the 9/10 ball format...and have played about 5 games on it.

The Plus

-Makes racking a now painless experience with no worries about balls sliding out of position after set in place.
-Easy to use and understand for any and all players.
-Easy to carry around.

The Negative that I can see
-Its not as thin as I expected...but it is advertised as minimal interference.
-It came with a natural boe or twist out of the pack. This is fine as long as all balls are on the rack, however if your playing with players who have a less powerful break and a ball happens to remain on the rack after the break it could cause interference due to the rack lifting off the table in areas.

Overall.
Very pleased with a product that was as cheap as it was.
Will continue to play with the rack and will attempt to find a way to remove the bending and warping.

Kobachi

Scarred but Smarter
Magic Rack for 8 ball

Thanks for the review Wes, I've been wondering what others thought of the magic rack, I haven't purchased one yet, I've been waiting to hear some reviews...

I'm wondering if anyone has purchased/used the 8 ball version,
and if anyone has used these for 8 ball in the tavern leagues, on the small bar boxes?

I'm figuring there's less chance of balls winding up on the rack with 9 or 10 ball, especially on 9 footers, so I guess I'm wondering if anyone can give feedback if they have tried these for 8 ball on bar boxes.

Thanks

Kevin

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
Did you remember to remove the thin protective layer of film from both sides of the racks before use? I find it is plenty thin. I also sat a phone book on top of ther racks while they were in the package to flatten them out. I love them for big table games.

Only problem I see is on the bar table where if you properly align the rack and have a strong break, you can make lots of balls and run out more often than normal.

Wes Moran

The Crappy Cue Guy
Silver Member

I actually successfully racked a game of 8-ball with the 9-ball rack...I simply rolled the last row into place and with the rack holding the rest in place it was actually quite easy make everything stay.

And yes I did in fact remove the protective film...and my rack only had it on one side. The problem with it warping actually became worse after doing so...but still overall its not that horrible.

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i'd double check your rack, the magic ball rack has the film on BOTH sides. one side is colored and the other side is clear, and the clear one can be hard to spot and peel off. that might be making the rack a little thicker than usual.

i have had good experiences with the magic ball rack as well. racks a tight rack every time and while the rack does interfere slightly with a slowly rolling ball, most of the time it is not an issue. in 9/10 ball most of the time there is not a ball on the rack. in 8 ball, most of the time i haven't had a problem with balls in the rack area either, though probably a little more than 9 ball. this is on a big table though, i think you'd have more issues on a bar box with 8 ball.

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
i'd double check your rack, the magic ball rack has the film on BOTH sides. one side is colored and the other side is clear, and the clear one can be hard to spot and peel off. that might be making the rack a little thicker than usual.

i have had good experiences with the magic ball rack as well. racks a tight rack every time and while the rack does interfere slightly with a slowly rolling ball, most of the time it is not an issue. in 9/10 ball most of the time there is not a ball on the rack. in 8 ball, most of the time i haven't had a problem with balls in the rack area either, though probably a little more than 9 ball. this is on a big table though, i think you'd have more issues on a bar box with 8 ball.

Both sides, even the clear side has a protective film and is super easy to to remove. Just go to the edge of the film with your nail and it will peel right off.

Cuetips

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a distributor for these racks here in Canada. I've been using the 8 ball rack now for about 2 weeks and have broken a couple hundred racks without even one ball staying on the rack, but I do find that about every 10 racks of 9 or 10 ball has a ball stay on the rack, but no biggie the ball is lifted and the rack removed

BlowFish

Pinoy D-Player
Silver Member
I use MBR and MBR Pro since it was born. I have it rolled all the time in a plastic folder and placed in my case. When it's curve, I simple turn it the opposite way and it flattens out on the table easily.

resurrecta

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Myself I own the 9-10 combo and the 8 ball rack. I'm very pleased about it. My own's transparant and has those greenish films on it. Anyways,
this week I dropped by my home club and they too bought the magic ball rack. But ow boy, those were letdowns in quality. They had almost identical wrappings, like the same magic ball rack logo on the package, except... these weren't transparant. They were plain white and one got damaged after 1 day of use. So be careful with those, they are bad quality versions. I have to say the only thing different on my package compared to theirs, was mine Mika Immonen on it and theirs had Beta something on it. The rest was all the same.
Did anyone notice these too?

troyroy78

I can average 2 ball's :)
Silver Member
The versions you are talking about are the 1st generation magic ball rack

the version used now is made from a clear plastic like the one you have.

If you have any concerns regarding my product please feel free to contact me directly on roy@magicballrack.com

Thanks

Roy

Loontjens

Gabriels Billiards
Hi There,

We sell these racks in the Netherlands and belgium for quite some time now. It is just a great accessory, league players. room owners, everybody likes them.....

Novice players are able to make a tight rack, even on worn-out cloth.

Now the 8-ball version is also available, a nice addition to the 9&10 ball package

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I own both available racks,and enjoy them. It takes practice to get used to them and to speed up the process,but I find the end result,being a nice,tight rack, worth the extra effort. I wish I could incorporate them into my league nights,but it's not worth the resulting blood clot to my brain.

I sw at this year's Amway Cup that they were using a white version. Is there a white version available,or was that a copy?

asamimasa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got both the 8 and 9/10 ball racks, the black version with the CSI logo. The 9/10 ball one is flawless, racks tight every time, but the 8 ball one I'm not quite as pleased with.
It doesn't rack anything remotely tight, at least one of the corner balls are typically loose, which is a problem when it's the head ball and I've used the single dot on the rack to align with the table spot. I've stopped using them and given them another chance multiple times, but never once gotten anything close to what I would call tight. I store them flat in a folder, so I'm certain it's not due to warpage.

That being said, my 8 ball rack does spread well, consistently better than with a typical triangle, so I do still use it and enjoy having it.

AZIZ-T

Registered
I've got both the 8 and 9/10 ball racks, the black version with the CSI logo. The 9/10 ball one is flawless, racks tight every time, but the 8 ball one I'm not quite as pleased with.
It doesn't rack anything remotely tight, at least one of the corner balls are typically loose, which is a problem when it's the head ball and I've used the single dot on the rack to align with the table spot. I've stopped using them and given them another chance multiple times, but never once gotten anything close to what I would call tight. I store them flat in a folder, so I'm certain it's not due to warpage.

That being said, my 8 ball rack does spread well, consistently better than with a typical triangle, so I do still use it and enjoy having it.

Yah I have the same problem with 8 ball rack it doesn't fit very will