Break Stats -- 2015 World Cup of Pool (9-Ball), September 2015

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here are some aggregate break statistics from the 2015 World Cup of Pool played this week at York Hall in London, England, with free live streaming on ESPN3 (and others).

The conditions for this event included: Diamond 9-foot table, Simonis 860 blue cloth, wooden triangle rack, Super Aramith Pro balls with the measles cue ball, referee racks with the 9-ball on the foot spot, winner breaks from anywhere behind the head string, jump cues allowed, 30-second shot clock (60 sec. after the break) with one extension per team per game, and WPA rules (all slop counts).

The 9 matches (117 games) that I watched were as follows. This sample is 29% of the total number of matches (31) and 32% of the total number of games (364) played in the event.

Wed., Sept. 23
Qatar (Hussain, Majid) defeated USA (Van Boening, Dechaine) 7-5​
Thurs., Sept. 24
England B (Peach, Gray) d. Sweden (Chamat, Sparrenlöv-Fischer) 7-4​
Japan (Oi, Kobayashi) d. Holland (Feijen, Van Den Berg) 7-6​
England A (Appleton, Boyes) d. Korea (J-Y Hwa, R-S Wu) 7-0​
Sat., Sept. 26
England A d. Romania (Melkonyan, Ladanyi) 9-3​
England B d. Finland (Immonen, Makkonen) 9-4​
Sun, Sept. 27
Chinese Taipei (P-Y Ko, Y-L Chang) d. England A 9-6 (semifinal)​
England B d. Japan 9-7 (semifinal)​
Chinese Taipei d. England B 10-8 (finals)​

Overall results -- The breaker made at least one ball (and did not foul) 66% of the time (77 of 117), won 52% of the games (61 of 117), and broke and ran 16% of the games (19 of 117).

Here's a more detailed breakdown of the 117 games.

Breaker made at least one ball and did not foul:​
Breaker won the game: 46 (39% of the 117 games)​
Breaker lost the game: 31 (26%)​
Breaker fouled on the break:​
Breaker won the game: 2 (2%)​
Breaker lost the game: 6 (5%)​
Breaker broke dry (without fouling):​
Breaker won the game: 13 (11%)​
Breaker lost the game: 19 (16%)​
Therefore, whereas the breaker won 52% (61) of all 117 games,​
He won 60% (46 of 77) of the games in which he made at least one ball on the break and did not foul.​
He won 25% (2 of 8) of the games in which he fouled on the break.​
He won 41% (13 of 32) of the games in which he broke dry but did not foul.​
He won 38% (15 of 40) of the games in which he either fouled on the break or broke dry without fouling.​

Break-and-run games: The 19 break-and-run games represented 16% of all 117 games, 31% of the 61 games won by the breaker, and 25% of the 77 games in which the break was successful (made a ball, no foul). The 19 break-and-run games were all singles, i.e., no team in these 9 matches broke and ran 2 or more games in a row.

9-balls on the break: None.

Last edited:

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you very much!

I really appreciate all the work you put into the stats on the break. I am always insisting to my friends that they improve their break and your stats show the importance.

Your info also supports the fact the IS NOT SO LOPSIDEED in 9 Ball or 10 Ball that the game is ruined by it.

If you have a good break your percentage of a win goes up because that good break might show up when you most need it.

Thanks again, great job!

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Average number of balls made on the break:

• On all 117 breaks in those 9 matches -- 1.0

• On all except dry breaks -- 1.4

• On successful breaks (excludes dry and fouled breaks) -- 1.4

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The equipment and rules were essentially the same for this 2015 World Cup event as for the 2014 Mosconi Cup (except for winner breaks in the World Cup and alternate break in the Mosconi Cup). And the number of games in my stats was about the same -- 117 for the World Cup and 119 for the Mosconi Cup. But the stats were quite a bit better at the Mosconi Cup. Any thoughts as to why? Was the average skill level different? Was it just statistical variation from the rather small numbers? Any other ideas?

Successful breaks (made at least one ball and did not foul):
• 2015 World Cup -- 66% (77 of 117)
• 2014 Mosconi Cup -- 76% (91 of 119)

Breaker won the game:
• 2015 World Cup -- 52% (61 of 117)
• 2014 Mosconi Cup -- 61% (73 of 119)

Break-and-run games:
• 2015 World Cup -- 16% (19 of 117)
• 2014 Mosconi Cup -- 34% (41 of 119)

Run-outs on successful breaks:
• 2015 World Cup -- 25% (19 of 77)
• 2014 Mosconi Cup -- 45% (41 of 91)

Albatross Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aloha

You wouldn't happen to have the stats for how may early outs there were by chance? Combos, caroms on the nine.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Aloha

You wouldn't happen to have the stats for how may early outs there were by chance? Combos, caroms on the nine.

I could tell you for the matches I watched, but that was only 9 of the 31 matches. I'll check later; can't do it right now.

My impression, however, is that the rather frequent combos on the 9-ball that were plaguing the matches for the first few days were not happening so much near the end of the event. If that is so, I do not know why. Is it possible that the refs became aware of it and were more careful in the racking later in the event?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Aloha

I could tell you for the matches I watched, but that was only 9 of the 31 matches. I'll check later; can't do it right now.

My impression, however, is that the rather frequent combos on the 9-ball that were plaguing the matches for the first few days were not happening so much near the end of the event. If that is so, I do not know why. Is it possible that the refs became aware of it and were more careful in the racking later in the event?

For the 9 matches I watched, my notes show 9 successful combos and 1 carom on the 9-ball in the 117 games, for a frequency of about 9%. Only about half of them were combos with the two balls both near the foot spot.