Help! Befuddled

DirtyJersey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whenever this shot comes up I'm dumbfounded. I know I can play the half ball hit and leave both balls by either side rail, but I'm trying to figure out a stronger way to resafe. I want to bank the OB near the side pkt. and back down table to the opposite short rail but the CB usually goes down table with it. What is a stronger way to play this type of shot?
P

K I can't figure out how to get the picture up but the shot is OB on 1 short rail, CB on other short rail. Whats the move here?

Last edited:

DirtyJersey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I figured I would get a ton of feedback on this. No one has any opinions of how to most effectively shoot this?

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
I've seen a lot of people hit shots like these head on with just enough speed to hit the rail with the object ball and freeze the OB against the CB after rail contact.

I personally don't like doing that. This works good if you are on a level table, but if not the CB will drift off. I also try doing what you do and most of the time I fail.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
At my skill level the 1/2-ball hit on the right side of the 9-ball is the best option. Sure, you can move the OB to the opposite short rail but how do you keep the CB at the opposite rail?; without doing that, you're leaving your opponent with better safe options than you began with. (And do you know your 2-rail banks well enough to leave the 9-ball in the center of the opposite short rail?)

Last edited:

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, for what its worth as an option, I'd cut very thin leaving the OB on or close to the short rail where it's at, and bring the CB back to the other end. Not sure it's possible with this layout but I often try to cut the OB in the corner pocket from here, with surprising success. When I miss, it's almost always too thin, and the OB ends up almost in the same place as it started. I use inside English.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
In this situation it's extremely difficult and near impossible to lag roll the shot and make sure you control both balls. Me, I'm either going to win or lose on this shot, therefore I'd prefer to have a chance to win and bank it back one rail long rail back under me to my left. If I had to play safe, I'd play ALL cue ball, four rails by cutting it on the right side and the cue ball wll return to where it was, and the object ball will also bank four rails and land on the other end of table, mid rail.

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, for what its worth as an option, I'd cut very thin leaving the OB on or close to the short rail where it's at, and bring the CB back to the other end. Not sure it's possible with this layout but I often try to cut the OB in the corner pocket from here, with surprising success. When I miss, it's almost always too thin, and the OB ends up almost in the same place as it started. I use inside English.

yep. it works for me. .....most of the time.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When faced with this shot, I don't consider safety play except for making sure I hit it just hard enough that the object ball rolls two diamonds away from the pocket, hopefully up the long rail.

I am going to win or lose on this shot. Always go down swinging.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
You're supposed to shoot, here. There is no good safe option.

Bank the 1 ball back into the corner. Use the proper speed so that if you miss, the 1 ball will bank off the end rail and almost half way up table, leaving a cross side bank.

Eric

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Bank the 1 ball back into the corner. Use the proper speed so that if you miss, the 1 ball will bank off the end rail and almost half way up table, leaving a cross side bank.

Eric

You said it better than I did.

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Eric

What Eric said...

By playing safe you give up an easier bank than what you have here. I always weigh the difficulty of both the shot and the safe. If they are both tough I always take an extra moment to calculate the shot and fire at the hole.

Of course, it costs me games sometimes but I prefer going down swinging in this scenario than trying to duck and sell out.

Gary

DallasHopps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even the half ball hit with both balls going to opposite spots on the long rail is subject to the table rolling off a bit with the moderate speed you have to use. Even if the cueball only drifts 1/4" over the length of the table you end up either hitting the 9 ball too full and hitting it twice (pushing it towards the corner for your opponent with a bow on it) or hitting the 9 too thin and banking it out for a slightly longer shot as the cueball rolls up the table.

So naturally I always go with the half ball attempted safety and sell out.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Here's one other way to go, if you've got good eyesight and if the table is fast and your good at thinning balls.... you could slightly clip the l/s of the nine and come back to where your at, risky, but definitely turns the tables if well executed.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Shoot very firm, center right, half ball hit on right side of OB.
Cue ball goes goes three rails and dies off the third rail coming to rest near where it is now, while the object ball goes long rail, short rail towards the top side pocket. The object ball will either drop in the side, or continue up table towards the middle of the short rail.
This shot lets you put the cue ball on the end rail, with a small chance to make the object ball, and a high probability of leaving a long difficult shot. The trick is to bank the object ball to hit the long rail past the side pocket with enough speed to get the cue ball back to the end rail and the rest is automatic.

With some practice you can make both the cue ball and object ball return to their original positions...

liakos

Banned
Personally, I go for the bank, but I over cut it just a tad with the speed of getting the 9 4 rails back to its beginning rail and cue ball 3 rails back to where it is! Joe Tucker shot by the way;) extremely useful