Information/Opinions on good quality 2 x 4 case.

batalarms

Ebony Hoppe Fanatic
Hi folks,
I find myself in a position where I will be looking for a really good quality 2X4 cue case and I wanted to get some opinions.I have owned Ron Thomas,GTF,Instroke and Whitten,and there were a couple that I should have kept,but here I am again looking for a case.I only have 1 cue but I am pretty sure that a break cue is in my future,so I want to be prepared.I really liked the old pre-light Whitten.They were classy,good materials and I liked the separate tubes.I want a side handle and shoulder strap,I never really found a use for the top handle,but it is not a deal breaker.I had an old German Instroke case,and I should have kept that one too,but stuff happens.Also,I am not in love with rows of rivets front and back,and I prefer some type of stitching,preferably hand stitching.And I do like separate tubes and something that's built like a tank,but has some class and a nice appearance.Maybe some tooling as well.So,I am ready to listen to opinions about old and new cases that are currently available.Thanks folks.
Regards,Marc
Thanks for the info so far guys.My budget is going to be 3-4 hundred.I really don't want to go much higher than that.
Thanks,ctyhntr.I hear what you are saying about George cases.I will definitely consider it.

Last edited:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
What is your budget? For $200, I think a used It's George 2x4 can't be beat. That's what I bought 6 years ago, figuring I would upgrade to a better case such as Justis, Ron Thomas, or a Jim Murnak. Which I did, but kept coming back to It's George 2x4 as my daily carry case because of its simplicity, lightweight, and durability.

Randy9Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get a Swift case made by Dennis Swift. Built to last and he can make what you want. I've had Swift cases for 20 plus years that still look new.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
I would like to make some suggestions. More about the materials you select then builders. I HATE getting scratches on my case and noticed the buffalo instrokes or the Bullhide Castillo cases hold up pretty darn good to scratches and are very wear proof.

I would get something with room for expansion. Nothing worse than having a double case and being torn between 2 playing cues as time goes on while carrying your break stick. You are certain to experiment with different equipment over time.

Make your case unique! Nothing worse than some one walking around the pool room with your EXACT case. Too often this happens and very likely someone grab the wrong case. Plus, you want to see your case walking out the door from a MILE away if someone has sticky fingers.

I carry way too much gear when it comes to tip tappers and chalk and bridge heads. Get the Biggest and roomiest pockets possible.

Hope this helps!

KD

batalarms

Ebony Hoppe Fanatic
Thanks for the info and suggestions guys.My budget will be 4-5 hundred bucks.I like the cases by Chuck Fields because he uses separate tubes for each piece in the case.I also like the cases by Volturi.They look awesome.I would like to buy American if possible,in order to keep the money here in the US.I have a few weeks till my new custom is finished.I started a thread in the cue and case gallery,to watch the progress of the build by Ned Morris,in case you would like to follow the build.It will be a four point ebony into curly maple,Hoppe style,with Ivory joint and a lot of Ivory inlays.Not counting the ferrules,it will have approximately,28 Ivory inlays.Have a great weekend.
Marc

Here is a link to watch the build progress by Ned Morris,

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=353198

Last edited:

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
Thanks for the info and suggestions guys.My budget will be 4-5 hundred bucks.I like the cases by Chuck Fields because he uses separate tubes for each piece in the case.I also like the cases by Volturi.They look awesome.I would like to buy American if possible,in order to keep the money here in the US.I have a few weeks till my new custom is finished.I started a thread in the cue and case gallery,to watch the progress of the build by Ned Morris,in case you would like to follow the build.It will be a four point ebony into curly maple,Hoppe style.Have a great weekend.
Marc

Honestly it's tough to go wrong with any of the options you listed. I'm a big fan of Volturi, but Chuck Fields seems to be building nice stuff. A used Justice or JB could be out there if patient.

The one thing I would suggest, is if you have to spend a little more to have a case made to your specs, do it. That's what I did and couldn't be happier.

Any way you choose to go, good luck!

All the best,

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No no no...... Buy a case from me.... Im a lot nicer than the other guys..... :thumbup:
Are my cases any good?
Nah........
Theyre F'n GREAT.

Thanks!
Chuck ;)

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
No no no...... Buy a case from me.... Im a lot nicer than the other guys..... :thumbup:
Are my cases any good?
Nah........
Theyre F'n GREAT.

Thanks!
Chuck ;)

You are wrong sir. Your cases are not f'n great...

They are amazingly awesome.

:)

prewarhero

guess my avatar
Silver Member
folks, I got a say I wish I truly knew the quality of JB's cases earlier. The rugged case I picked up is a superior case to any higher end case I have owned. I say this solely based on the protection the case offers my cues. I just sold my swift case because after seeing the JB in action I just didn't want my cue in anything else and have begun replacing all my cases.

guys, its not even close.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are wrong sir. Your cases are not f'n great...

They are amazingly awesome.

:)
Thanks!

folks, I got a say I wish I truly knew the quality of JB's cases earlier. The rugged case I picked up is a superior case to any higher end case I have owned. I say this solely based on the protection the case offers my cues. I just sold my swift case because after seeing the JB in action I just didn't want my cue in anything else and have begun replacing all my cases.

guys, its not even close.
I have my own padded interior coming out very soon, designed by John, but it will carry my label.
Ive been thinking about maybe doing a "name the interior" contest for a free case. Those seem to go over pretty well. :grin:
Chuck

batalarms

Ebony Hoppe Fanatic
I can name the interior.......... Make the interior using red fabric,and call it the "Strawberry Fields Interior" Did I just win a case? :rotflmao::rotflmao:
Marc

Hi folks,
I find myself in a position where I will be looking for a really good quality 2X4 cue case and I wanted to get some opinions.I have owned Ron Thomas,GTF,Instroke and Whitten,and there were a couple that I should have kept,but here I am again looking for a case.I only have 1 cue but I am pretty sure that a break cue is in my future,so I want to be prepared.I really liked the old pre-light Whitten.They were classy,good materials and I liked the separate tubes.I want a side handle and shoulder strap,I never really found a use for the top handle,but it is not a deal breaker.I had an old German Instroke case,and I should have kept that one too,but stuff happens.Also,I am not in love with rows of rivets front and back,and I prefer some type of stitching,preferably hand stitching.And I do like separate tubes and something that's built like a tank,but has some class and a nice appearance.Maybe some tooling as well.So,I am ready to listen to opinions about old and new cases that are currently available.Thanks folks.
Regards,Marc
Thanks for the info so far guys.My budget is going to be 3-4 hundred.I really don't want to go much higher than that.
Thanks,ctyhntr.I hear what you are saying about George cases.I will definitely consider it.
Buy another Whitten and never look back! I have a 3x6, for buying and selling a cue when I have the chance.