Koa Wood Source

Mr.Sharke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm searching for a source of top quality Koa wood. Any help via PM would be deeply appreciated. Any feedback on playability? Cored Vs. non-cored? Thanks and have a great week!
Jim

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
It is my experience that any type of Koa needs to be cored for stability and the addition of weight, it's a light wood. The best I can do for availability is steer you to suppliers in Hawaii.
It's a beautiful wood :

002-34-1.jpg

Last edited:

CueCaps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here?

$50 - $55 / Board foot..

MARTIN & MACARTHUR
HOURS -
Mon-Sat 9:30 a.m. to 9 p.m., Sun 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
CONTACT
941-0074
941-6652
www.martinandmacarthur.com
I think dis is da main stowa.. not the wayhouse way dey keep da wood n stuff.
Aloha and Mahalo from my little Grass Shack, in Kalakekua, Hawaii..
Alton

Attachments

• main-cat-14.jpg
    main-cat-14.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 540
Last edited:

Cue Guru

Close, but no roll...
Silver Member
I have gotten some exceptional pieces from Warmoth in Puyallup, Washington before...

Not sure what they have these days.:confused:

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
It is very hard to obtain the Master grade curly, like in my pic. Most of the curly has "fuzzy" spots, making for dark splotches in the finished wood. I sent you a contact that has Koa.

Mr.Sharke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks

Thanks to you gents for the leads. I hope to be able to return the favor in time........ Thanks,
Jim

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I don't buy koa unseen. If I can't touch it, then I want to see pics of each side. What i'm looking for is color above all else, then grain/figure pattern. The deep red, dark wood is the hardest & strongest. Most of the golden & light red has proven to be too soft for me, although I did find one board that was hard & dense that was golden. Not all koa is the same. It's as diverse or more so than maples, which range from very soft & light in the pacific NW, to hard & heavy sugar maple in the upper adirondacks. I have had koa that I could push my fingernail into. And I have had koa that resembled rosewood in hardness & density.

patrickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is very hard to obtain the Master grade curly, like in my pic. Most of the curly has "fuzzy" spots, making for dark splotches in the finished wood. I sent you a contact that has Koa.
tommy if you would send me that contact also for the Koa!

Thanks

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love KOA, here is my Pfd cue.

Paul went to Hawaii, and brought back 70 pounds as a carry on...:rolleyes:

Ken

Attachments

• PFD.jpg
    PFD.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 457