Votes: 175 55.6%
  • Mezz

Votes: 140 44.4%

• Total voters

Lazerrus

I LUV CURLY MAPLE!!!!!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ok so I'm just curious as to which cue this community thinks is the better of the two. Schon has been around for many many years and makes an outstanding cue. Mezz is still fairly new but has won over many pros and seems to be doing quite well. I have never hit with a Mezz other than a PB2. SO my question is let's say you have $1,000 and in front of you are a Schon and a Mezz with stock shafts. Each priced at $999.00 Based on playability only which would you purchase and why.

BayGene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schon versus Mezz

I have a Schon SL-3 and a MEZZ ZZSP. I play with the MEZZ.

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member
I never owned a Schon that warped, or a Mezz that stayed straight.

Based on playability only, I would still favor the Schon. The last two Mezz cues I owned were more stiff than I like. I played them off the rack without taper modification or even changing tips.

You are correct to observe some power players like Mezz. No doubt one can get the job done with a Mezz. Mine is just an opinion.

Last edited:

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never owned a Schon that warped, or a Mezz that stayed straight.

Based on playability only, I would still favor the Schon. The last two Mezz cues I owned were more stiff than I like. I played them off the rack without taper modification or even changing tips.

You are correct to observe some power players like Mezz. No doubt one can get the job done with a Mezz. Mine is just an opinion.

What were the last 2 mezz's you owned? what shafts were on them. i've always thought schons played stiffer than any other production cue i ever tried

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If i had to choose with out playing with them i would buy the Schon because i had one before and i would know what i was getting. If i could play with both before deciding who knows...............................................

danutz

Banned
i dont think it's a coincidence that schon's are known as one of if not the best production cue on the market, and it's been that way for a long time. most who've owned one, still own one, or will own one again. if you want a cue that can take the abuse, and stand the test of time, get a schon. it's that simple, really.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have had plenty of schon cues and they all played good,i had 2 mezz and will not take one in trade.how many champions played their best pool with a schon cue without getting paid to do so,most if not all but 1,who can think of a better production cue?

it may be popular to knock schon ,but i believe they are easily in the top dozen cues,especially performance.i have 2 box cues on order from schon right now,and they are not for sale

you probably gather that I like schon cues and the people that make them

dean

JIMMY L

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never hit a ball with a Mezz cue. I have owned over 50 Schon cues. I like the older Schon cues better then the new ones. Schon would be my pick! Good Luck!

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member
What were the last 2 mezz's you owned? what shafts were on them. i've always thought schons played stiffer than any other production cue i ever tried

The Mezz cues I owned had 5/16 X 14 piloted joints. One was an all rosewood cue with floating maple inlays and the other a more traditional maple cue with points. They were both stiff and had "harsh" hits as I would describe them. No spring, no life, just hard and loud.

The Schons were 2 SP series cues with 5/16X14 piloted joints. I also had a fancy SL loaded with ivory. All 3 cues hit great and all three played distinctly softer and quieter than the Mezz cues.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Mezz cues I owned had 5/16 X 14 piloted joints. One was an all rosewood cue with floating maple inlays and the other a more traditional maple cue with points. They were both stiff and had "harsh" hits as I would describe them. No spring, no life, just hard and loud.

The Schons were 2 SP series cues with 5/16X14 piloted joints. I also had a fancy SL loaded with ivory. All 3 cues hit great and all three played distinctly softer and quieter than the Mezz cues.

i think i know the cues you're talking about. were you using the standard shaft or one of their LD shafts? still got 'em? wanna sell 'em?

J Layer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have hit with a few Mezz's....Never bought one though.I think my signature says I may just like Schon's;).I am a fan of them.Older the better but i do like some of the newer Schon's as well.

Mitchorama

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I own five Schon and like them all. From my STL-09 and STL-15 to the the R-14 and E54. I take the SL17 to play outside of home. Maybe it just I like the old traditional style of cue, although the E54 is not traditional in any sense of the word. Mitch

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
I have owned at least 10 or 12 Schon's over the years most of them R series cues. I have not hit with a new Schon that compares with the old ones. I bought my first Mezz a few months ago. Its one of the best playing cues I have ever owned and it is just the entry level wrapless EC-7 with WD-700 shaft. I like the new Mezz better than the old Schons. For me its a no brainer. Mezz wins this comparison for me.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have owned at least 10 or 12 Schon's over the years most of them R series cues. I have not hit with a new Schon that compares with the old ones. I bought my first Mezz a few months ago. Its one of the best playing cues I have ever owned and it is just the entry level wrapless EC-7 with WD-700 shaft. I like the new Mezz better than the old Schons. For me its a no brainer. Mezz wins this comparison for me.

I have heard many people say what you did Mezz cue play awesome, I am buying one sometime to try it out and see what all the talk is about.

jay_az

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Over the past 15 years, I have tried to like schon cues....I'd buy one, hit it for a few weeks an sell it....have done this a bunch of times. TO ME, the hit was to hard an kinda "empty". I have owned 3 mezz cues and can say that there were and are in my opinion the best production cues available today. They are made beautifully, never seen one warp and hits an feels great! I vote MEZZ. my 2 cents

jay