Problem shooting straight in shots

sbordona

Registered
I have a problem with straight in shots. I can shoot up and down the table from the spot to the top rail and back and hit my tip fairly consistently, however, when I shoot a long straight in shot I tend to hit the object ball to the left of the pocket. I am not sure why when I get down on the shot the picture looks correct but the cue ball hits the object ball slightly to the right of center of the pocket. Is it possible that my cue alignment is slightly skewed? I can't seem to resolve this issue. I appreciate any help one can give, thanks.

klone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it's truly lined up straight, ignore the object ball when you aim, just execute as if you're shooting cue ball to the pocket.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Odds are you aren't aiming it correctly. It is hard to find the exact center of the cb, so don't even bother trying to.

There are several aiming systems that will put you on the correct line with a straight in shot. Or, you can try looking at the very top or the very bottom part of the ob to aim them. The very top is dead center on the vertical axis, as is the very bottom.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
To add to Neil's answer, first make sure you are hitting center on the cue ball. One way is to ground your tip, meaning touch the tip to the table and make sure you are lined up to where the cue ball is touching the table, then just raise it straight up. Then, focus on the point of the object ball where it is touching the table. This is the easiest way to identify the vertical center line of both balls.
Steve

sbordona

Registered
I tried ignoring the object ball and aiming for the center of the pocket, but not much success. I will try grounding my cue tip and aiming the bottom of the cue ball to the bottom of the object ball and see how that works for me. Appreciate the input.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a problem with straight in shots. I can shoot up and down the table from the spot to the top rail and back and hit my tip fairly consistently, however, when I shoot a long straight in shot I tend to hit the object ball to the left of the pocket. I am not sure why when I get down on the shot the picture looks correct but the cue ball hits the object ball slightly to the right of center of the pocket. Is it possible that my cue alignment is slightly skewed? I can't seem to resolve this issue. I appreciate any help one can give, thanks.

There are a few things you can try. Even though you shoot the cb straight up and down the table, it doesn't necessarily mean that you're not twisting or doing something strange with your stroke on those straight shots.

To test to see if you're stroking straight on those shots, try this exercise: It will feel strange but it's helpful. Set up for the shot and then take the thumb and index finger of your back hand off the cue and shoot with only your last three fingers on the cue.

It will feel pretty terrible, but trust it and do it a few times. See what happens. If you make the shot, then you can be pretty sure that your problem is that you've been twisting with your first two fingers. If you still miss the exact same way, then it's more likely an alignment issue.

sbordona

Registered
I tried both grounding my cue tip to ensure I was hitting the cue ball in the center and I also tried removing the thumb and forefinger on the grip to see if I am twisting my cue. Well both didn't cure my problem, so it appears that I must have an alignment problem, and that may be why my straight shots are slightly going left and at times I bobble object balls. That being said, any suggestions on how I may fix my alignment issue?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I tried both grounding my cue tip to ensure I was hitting the cue ball in the center and I also tried removing the thumb and forefinger on the grip to see if I am twisting my cue. Well both didn't cure my problem, so it appears that I must have an alignment problem, and that may be why my straight shots are slightly going left and at times I bobble object balls. That being said, any suggestions on how I may fix my alignment issue?

May I suggest the 3rd Eye Trainer by Joe Tucker?https://www.joetucker.net/product/3rd-eye-stroke-trainer/

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sbordona...Here's what to do. Get a laser level ($10 at the hardware store or walmart), and some hole reinforcements (those little white paper circles). Lazer a line from corner pocket to corner pocket. Put the white circles on the lazer line, with the lazer running through the hole in the circle. Put them 2, 3, and 4 diamonds apart. Now you have an exact straight line, aimed to the middle of the pocket opening. Set the CB and OB on the circles. Video yourself looking at the camera, while you're down on the shot (video yourself from head on). You should be able to see if you're lined up correctly on the shot...or slightly off (I'm guessing you'll be slightly off, as I see this problem with many students). If it turns out you are in alignment, then you have a problem with how you're delivering the cuestick. Hope this helps. :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Highmiles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you loosening your grip on the cue? The longer or straighter my shot is, the more I loosen my grip on the cue. It seems to keep me from imparting as many stroke flaws (?) to my shot.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Okay, good. You have eliminated stroke as a possible issue. Now you can focus on your alignment. Get someone to stand directly behind you and tell you if your cue is lined up straight (from front to back) on the line of the shot. --- Better still if they can take video of you.

sbordona

Registered
I thank everyone for there input and I will now work on my alignment as it does appear to be my problem.

It's funny that I do have days when the straight-in shots and long cut shots go in like I was born with a pool stick in my hand, but then the majority of the time I am just a little bit off with each shot. Not having the consistency can drive one to drink, but It's those few good days that keep me coming back,

mfinkelstein3

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Straight Shots

Let me add one thing you can do to help. After you put the dots and laser line like Scott suggested, put one hand on each side of the line and move your head perpendicular to the line. Stop when the straight line really looks straight to you. Where your head is in relation to line is your center of vision or where you see a straight line as straight.

Now when you shoot, make sure that your chin is in the correct position for you to see a straight line as straight. Getting your center of vision over the cue stick will help you when you are just a little off with alignment.

Lockbox

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First off, i'm not an instructor. So, rather than respond with advice, I am posting this so the instructors here can give me advice about this same problem.

I work on my straight ins at least 1-2 racks each time I step up to the table and I have gone through scenarios like the one op describes. My take on your situation is that the object ball is missing slightly left because the cue ball was shot slightly right.

Therefore, you have an unintended twist in your shot. Others have obviously noted this and recommended fixes but maybe try this: turn your body towards your cue a little bit (if you're a right-handed player).

I feel like I sometimes "square up" too much and then my arm swings towards my body. When it does this, at impact, the cue is pointed slightly to the right (hence missing slightly left). I feel like this was an issue because if I basically face my cue stick (e.g., I turn all the way to the right) my arm tends to swing more to the 'right' in order to avoid my body. While this is an extreme example, I feel like this happens in more subtle ways based on how I am standing relative to the shot.

See if this helps and let us know. Instructors, thoughts on this approach, all other things being equal?

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're shooting with a pendulum stroke, you WANT your grip hand to come to rest on your pec. This is the natural end of your stroke (with no elbow drop). Your tip will finish somewhere past the CB, which can be measured (and slightly angled down). It should finish in the same place, regardless of where you aim on the CB, or how hard or soft you shoot (this will be true for most shots you shoot, but not all). If you do this, and the tip is still finishing off center, you are likely gripping the cue too tightly, which can cause twisting your wrist.

Scott Lee

First off, i'm not an instructor. So, rather than respond with advice, I am posting this so the instructors here can give me advice about this same problem.

I work on my straight ins at least 1-2 racks each time I step up to the table and I have gone through scenarios like the one op describes. My take on your situation is that the object ball is missing slightly left because the cue ball was shot slightly right.

Therefore, you have an unintended twist in your shot. Others have obviously noted this and recommended fixes but maybe try this: turn your body towards your cue a little bit (if you're a right-handed player).

I feel like I sometimes "square up" too much and then my arm swings towards my body. When it does this, at impact, the cue is pointed slightly to the right (hence missing slightly left). I feel like this was an issue because if I basically face my cue stick (e.g., I turn all the way to the right) my arm tends to swing more to the 'right' in order to avoid my body. While this is an extreme example, I feel like this happens in more subtle ways based on how I am standing relative to the shot.

See if this helps and let us know. Instructors, thoughts on this approach, all other things being equal?

Lockbox

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're shooting with a pendulum stroke, you WANT your grip hand to come to rest on your pec. This is the natural end of your stroke (with no elbow drop). Your tip will finish somewhere past the CB, which can be measured (and slightly angled down). It should finish in the same place, regardless of where you aim on the CB, or how hard or soft you shoot (this will be true for most shots you shoot, but not all). If you do this, and the tip is still finishing off center, you are likely gripping the cue too tightly, which can cause twisting your wrist.

Scott Lee

You either misunderstood my comment or disregarded it. My question has nothing to do with the type of stroke, or the grip.

What I would like to address as a potential problem for the OP and perhaps get some clarification on is what the proper angle should be between the plane of a person's chest and the cue.

I often watch snooker players almost stand with their chest perpendicular to their cue - a very "squared up" look. I also have watched pro's who look like they are facing their cue as they shoot - a very "closed off" look.

While there may be no "correct" answer and each person's body dimensions may differ, there must be a basic way to approach this. My instructors started with the sheet that shows the feet at a 45 degree angle to the cue to get into the right position.

My question boiled down is this: how should one stand such that your arm isn't swinging "into" or "away" from your body (because where you stand certainly should affect this, no?)?

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read your question and did understand it. You either move the cuestick with a piston stroke or a pendulum stroke. When using a pendulum stroke, meaning moving the cue with the forearm and no elbow drop, the elbow is a hinge, so the arm cannot move sideways (in closer or away from your body), without incorporating the shoulder. With a piston stroke the shoulder is involved and can easily manipulate the arm to swing in or out. So, to speak to your statement...with a pendulum stroke it doesn't matter how you stand. The only way the swing won't be straight is if you grab tight, and move from the shoulder. 45 degrees to the cue is just a starting point. Many people stand differently. Hope this helps you to understand what I'm saying...:D

Scott Lee

While there may be no "correct" answer and each person's body dimensions may differ, there must be a basic way to approach this. My instructors started with the sheet that shows the feet at a 45 degree angle to the cue to get into the right position.

My question boiled down is this: how should one stand such that your arm isn't swinging "into" or "away" from your body (because where you stand certainly should affect this, no?)?

Lockbox

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read your question and did understand it. You either move the cuestick with a piston stroke or a pendulum stroke. When using a pendulum stroke, meaning moving the cue with the forearm and no elbow drop, the elbow is a hinge, so the arm cannot move sideways (in closer or away from your body), without incorporating the shoulder. With a piston stroke the shoulder is involved and can easily manipulate the arm to swing in or out. So, to speak to your statement...with a pendulum stroke it doesn't matter how you stand. The only way the swing won't be straight is if you grab tight, and move from the shoulder. 45 degrees to the cue is just a starting point. Many people stand differently. Hope this helps you to understand what I'm saying...:D

Scott Lee

Thank you for clarifying, Scott! So i'm not a physician and don't pretend to know about the various anatomical and physiological movements of the arm, but let's consider this. Taking into account a perfect pendulum stroke, your analysis leads me to believe that I could turn my body in whatever direction and it would still be straight.

Now, I did say it was a perfect stroke, so perhaps this is true. However, wouldn't you agree that even if someone used a perfect pendulum stroke such that there was no elbow drop but was standing 15, 30, 45, 65, or 90 degrees between the plane of their chest and the cue that there would be some impact?

I'm sure professionals can deviate and have enough micro-muscle control in order to shoot straight regardless of having to stand differently either due to the cue ball's position on the table or some other obstacle. Here, however, OP is shooting controlled, straight in shots. I would still like to hear from him/her as to whether torquing their body helps.

I suppose I was also looking to see if anyone thought that body position would affect the stroke. I take it you seem to be in the camp that the elbow/style of stroke is a greater factor than body position.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To some degree, you are correct. I believe it is less important how you stand at the table (within certain perameters), and definitely believe that a pendulum stroke is easier to learn, and for many players of all abilities, more accurate and repeatable.

Scott Lee

I take it you seem to be in the camp that the elbow/style of stroke is a greater factor than body position.