How long does she have to live, doc?

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
A bit hard to see but it's the tiniest little fracture in the ferrule, it starts and ends without touching the wood or tip.Micarta ferrule, half inch long and I believe it is capped. Will I damage the cue if I keep shooting with it? And this is purelt speculation but anyone think this was just a weaker than normal piece of material or do I need an investigate using a longer ferrule so that it can be stronger? Thanks for your time.

IMG_2858.jpg

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A bit hard to see but it's the tiniest little fracture in the ferrule, it starts and ends without touching the wood or tip.Micarta ferrule, half inch long and I believe it is capped. Will I damage the cue if I keep shooting with it? And this is purelt speculation but anyone think this was just a weaker than normal piece of material or do I need an investigate using a longer ferrule so that it can be stronger? Thanks for your time.

View attachment 454052

I am not a cuemaker, and it's JMO, but if the ferrule is beginning to crack, I would get it replaced ASAP.
All the best.
j2

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
In the Picture, pressing the Control key and the + key to zoom in, it appears to be barely a scratch with chalk dust in it. This is normal. Use a magic eraser with a bit of denatured alcohol and gently rub the ferrule along the scratch line and it should disappear. This only cleans the dust out, the scratch will be still there. A actual crack will be so deep, the chalk dust and dirt will be down so far there is no way to clean it,
A crack usually starst at one end or the other and go from there, not just show up in the middle like this. This is just a scratch IMO.
Dave

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
If you saw a split in the tread of your tire, would you continue driving ?

A longer ferrule would make the shaft weaker due to greater tenon leverage.

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
In the Picture, pressing the Control key and the + key to zoom in, it appears to be barely a scratch with chalk dust in it. This is normal. Use a magic eraser with a bit of denatured alcohol and gently rub the ferrule along the scratch line and it should disappear. This only cleans the dust out, the scratch will be still there. A actual crack will be so deep, the chalk dust and dirt will be down so far there is no way to clean it,
A crack usually starst at one end or the other and go from there, not just show up in the middle like this. This is just a scratch IMO.
Dave

I didn't even think to try this. Thanks

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
Dave

So on the very first pass with the magic eraser it took up all the chalk. Can't imagine how I scratched the ferrule like this but that's a relief that it's possibly not a fracture.

IMG_2859.jpg

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave

Exactly, and I also would question why the OP thinks a longer ferrule would somehow be stronger. I think, no.

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
Exactly, and I also would question why the OP thinks a longer ferrule would somehow be stronger. I think, no.

The OP wondered about a longer ferrule because the OP shoots pool much better than he understand the physical limitations of the equipment..... Rough crowd.

Jon Manning

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a maker. Looks like a scratch to me, but if it's not, ferrule and tips are designed to be consumables.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Very Glad that it was just a scratch. Shoot well, and straight.
Dave