shaft edge to contact point

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Just wondering if anyone has used this? I don't remember ever seeing it here. A buddy of mine, very strong player, told me he uses this and learned it from the Filipinos.

From toying with it a bit, it seems any shot that's half ball or thinner you can aim the inside edge of your shaft to the contact point. Though, it doesn't seem to work for extremely thin shots.

Just curious who's used this and what they've found.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i am sure you know if you aim at the contact point the front of the cue ball hits in front of the aim point so your hit is alittle fat and you miss
using the edge on the pocket side of the stick gets you to correct for that
i have played around with it but i have developed the feel to aim the cue ball so the cue ball contacts the contact point
like if i put a penny overhanging the rail and asked you to hit the penny with the cue ball

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yes. I have been playing around with it. Once you have that point you can pivot to whatever English you want. Within reason.

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
I have messed with it. Although it gets you in the vicinity, especially on thicker and closer shots, it's not accurate.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Shane van Boening said something about aiming with the sides of the shaft .....Could be similar to what you're messing with.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use it when applying english. It works great FOR ME. It is a very subjective method that can be great for some people. I say that, because there are several factors involved with it that will either make it work great, or make it work essentially not at all that can be relied on.

With MY vision, and with my 314 original shaft, it works great. With my Schon shaft, it doesn't work at all. And, of course, it is speed dependent. But, for me, with a normal shot speed, with a certain shaft (which gives a certain deflection amount), and the way I sight down the cue, (which is not a straight down the edge of the shaft to the contact point, but a parallax view), then it works very reliably.

My feelings on it are- if it works for you, use it. If it doesn't seem to work for you, don't waste your time trying to make it work for you as odds are, you won't be able to. And, if it isn't very reliable for you to use, don't bother using it either. You want consistency in your game, not something that only works some of the time and you never really are sure just when those times are.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
I tried it off and on for about a year...works great 1/2 ball to 3/4 ball hit; any thinner and you're winging it. As you get thicker than 3/4 ball hit, you start to adjust toward the middle of the ferrule to contact point. Takes a while to dial it in on many shots...plus any extreme English really requires some adjustment. When I was in stroke it worked fantastic, but then would just fall apart on me--so I gave up on it.

Now, I stand over the shot, set my feet, look at the contact point on the OB, then visualize the mirror image of that point on the back of the CB as I get down on the shot. Basically, back of the ball aiming, which is kind of what I did when I first really learned how to play. Lines up perfect and works on almost every shot. I also instituted the snooker style of keeping my chin and right breast in light contact with cue throughout the whole stroke and follow through, and it's laser straight. Biggest thing I've done for my game in years.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Things are more civil in the aiming world... I was hoping this would cause a fight :(

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Things are more civil in the aiming world... I was hoping this would cause a fight :(
if you are serious about trying to provoke a flame war
i will give you a red rep
so answer me
was that really your intention ?

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
I've actually never really known about this system until recently, though I now see it on Dr. Dave's site.

From fooling around with it, seems to be shots thicker than half ball, the outside edge of the shaft lines up with contact point and shots thinner than half ball, it's the inside of shaft (though, not super thin shots). Sometimes with inside english, the inside of the shaft lines up with the contact point but not always. My pockets are a bit tight too so that could change things.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just wondering if anyone has used this? I don't remember ever seeing it here. A buddy of mine, very strong player, told me he uses this and learned it from the Filipinos.

From toying with it a bit, it seems any shot that's half ball or thinner you can aim the inside edge of your shaft to the contact point. Though, it doesn't seem to work for extremely thin shots.

Just curious who's used this and what they've found.

The Ultimate Aiming System was based on edge of ferrule to contact point. It works very well on shots around the 1/2 ball cut.

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone have a diagram or a picture for reference ? The brain can't compute today, asking for a friend.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone have a diagram or a picture for reference ? The brain can't compute today, asking for a friend.

297549c9cb3cedca8121d54ca4fde752.jpg

shaft_aim_left_cut.jpg

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you !, I could not picture this in my head I mean friends head.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
I dislike methods that take you off center axis. It's easiest to control the cue ball striking through the center of its mass.

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
The shaft-edge to aiming point method I saw on VHS tape back in the day did not require a half tip offset from CCB. You do strike CCB, and you align the shaft edge to the contact point on the object ball. Then, the system claims you can move the tip around on the CB to create english, just keep the shaft edge aligned to the contact point. So, CCB offset is NOT required, but can still work at an offset nonetheless. It seemed to work ok for some categories of shots (near 30 deg ?), and not so well for others.

Last edited: